31 replies to this topic

#21 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'd personally delete the log of a Throughdown (of the person who tossed it down) if the original was there, but not punish those who followed.  After all it wasn't there fault.

If I believe a container is missing, I'd first try to contact the owner and I'd DNF it.  I've done that with a couple of the posters above :-)

But if I see a destroyed container, I'll take a picture - reassemble the best I can, and if it's not possible, and I have something reasonable, I'll toss it down.  But follow up with pic's to the owner.  I've only down this once, usually when I find a container like this, I'm no place near my car which has the stuff to replace a cache with.

Right now I've got an upstart w/ 39 finds who seems to think I should go out after his single DNF to check my cache since he/she couldn't find it.  Yesterday (six days after his DNF of the cache) he posted a needs maintenance on my cache.  I'm pretty sure it's still there, it's just not a traditional container, I'll be checking that this afternoon. 

So another question, would you post a needs maintenance on a cache that you could never find?  And also, if you go out and find that it's safe an sound would you delete their Needs Maintenance log?

Posted Image Posted Image

#22 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

I would delete the Needs Maintenance log and you need to go into attributes and remove it there as well.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yeah.  Sometimes I can't find my own.  ;)

Probably a sign of a good hide. Tip: Use both hands.

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

I did the same thing as Mr. Muddy Buddie on one of my caches in Dayton.  I figured I'd just leave it that way and double people's odds at getting a smiley.  Plus, if one were to be muggled, I already have a backup on scene!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

"So another question, would you post a needs maintenance on a cache that you could never find?  And also, if you go out and find that it's safe an sound would you delete their Needs Maintenance log?"

Before I owned a bunch of caches or had logged all that many, I was more prone to post a NEEDS Maint attribute.  Now, not so much.  I post a note instead.  The tether was broken on one of my caches and a well-meaning cacher with 800 finds posted a needs maint attribute.  Geeze, just tie it back up fella.  LOL

I found one yesterday that was a lock n lock belonging to Lefty Writer GC23YE2 and it was open and empty.  I cleaned it up and put a new log in it and posted photos and a note in my log.

TXGA SETX Representative

#26 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

I did the same thing as Mr. Muddy Buddie on one of my caches in Dayton.  I figured I'd just leave it that way and double people's odds at getting a smiley.  Plus, if one were to be muggled, I already have a backup on scene!

I found that one/two when I drove out there for an FTF.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#27 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

I would delete the Needs Maintenance log and you need to go into attributes and remove it there as well.

If you enter an Owner Maintenance log (regardless of what it says about the cache being there or not, will replace, still there, etc.), the Needs Maintenance attribute is automatically removed just by entering that OM log.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#28 TxSunflower

TxSunflower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Well..that explains some things for me....I've had a couple of hides on my watchlist (after looking high and low for them) and someone comes along and bang they found it and logged it as an easy find.....now I'm in the know!!!!!  

#29 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Well..that explains some things for me....I've had a couple of hides on my watchlist (after looking high and low for them) and someone comes along and bang they found it and logged it as an easy find.....now I'm in the know!!!!!  

Just because the next person found it easily doesn't necessarily mean the container was replaced. It could be due to experience, just the right angle, perfect weather conditions....

Posted Image

#30 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Sometimes I go full ret@rd and can't find my own shadow and the next person with 6 finds, has no trouble locating the cache.

TXGA SETX Representative

#31 TxSunflower

TxSunflower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Let me clear up my earlier entry...I only say that in the case where several cachers (ones I consider experienced not ones with low finds) have not found the hide and after i have gone back more than once to look for it...and then someone finds the hide and post how easy it was and how it was exactly where it should......there are some days I can't find hides and then go back and it was right in front of me and I won't be defeated when I see that the hide is being found.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#32 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Just to let everyone know, I finally made it back out today and removed the "throw down" cache, and I upped the difficulty.  It is now a 2.5 D, 4 T cache.

We didn't delete anybodies find.  A couple of cachers changed their smileys to frownies, and Tealcat told them to go ahead and change them back to smileys.

• KeyResults likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users