#1 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I have a question for you.

We adopted a cache from someone that is difficult.  It was obviously intended to be difficult.

Lots of people have not found it.  I happened to have been the first person who did find it.

Recently I replaced the container because it had gone missing.

Now we come to the issue.

The other day a group of people "found" it, but they didn't really.  From their logs, they put out a new container, not finding the container that I had just put out.  I intend to go out and remove their container.  My question is "should I disallow their 'finds' because they didn't actually find the cache--they put out a new container"?  In their defense, there were individuals in the group that had found it before, and the old container had gone missing--that is why I replaced it.

So, what do you think?

#2 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

They didn't find it. They certainly didn't sign log. No smiley for them. I would send an explanatory email, however.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Keyresults here.... they didn't find it, if they would've done some research they could have known you put out a new container. Provided of course you shared that information on the cache page.....

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I would in a heart beat.

Posted Image

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Replacing a container without the CO's prior (or belated) approval always brings the risk of log deletion.  That said, it's just a game and I try to be friendly and welcoming in my interactions with others (especially if they are newbies) and not play the part of the cache Nazi.  Maybe contact them and explain that they didn't find the cache, give them a hint as to it's location, then invite them to visit again to legitimize their smiley.

If you get no reply, ...

DELETE!!!!!!! MUAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

• KeyResults likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Agree with all the above, especially if you noted on the cache page that it's been replaced and especially if it's a high D or T or both.  Now they've just made more work for you in the process.

Posted Image

#7 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

This is what I posted with an "Owner's Maintenance" log 5 days before the group came in:

"I checked on the cache today and placed a new container. It is a bit more obvious than it was. I will probably replace with a bit less obvious container in the not too distant future. If you had looked for it before and weren't able to find it, how low can you go?"

I think I will wait a bit and see what others have to say.  It's raining (yeah!) in the area today, so I won't go out and pull out the "replacement" container today.

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

It's a tough call and I may delete the log or not depending on what time of the month it is... oops!  My bad!

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Delete the logs, but contact the "finders" to tell them why.  

Posted Image

#10 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

This reminds me of something that happened to us several years ago. 

As we headed out of town for a caching road trip, we stopped for a cache just west of Katy, and found a container within 20' of the posted coords.  Not knowing that it was a "replacement throwdown", we signed it, logged the cache and went on our road trip.  

Well, the CO, realized that a throwdown had occured and deleted not only that cachers log, but also ours.

This upset of a bit, since we didn't know of the throwdown.  The CO explained that we hadn't found the real hide, and assured us it was there, so on the way back from our road trip we found the real cache, and logged it.  Just a minor inconvenience, but this is the sort of thing that can happen from throwdown caches.

A similar situation has occurred a few times, that we will DNF a cache, only to have the next "finder" place a throwdown and claim the find.  

Posted Image

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

As we headed out of town for a caching road trip, we stopped for a cache just west of Katy, and found a container within 20' of the posted coords.  Not knowing that it was a "replacement throwdown", we signed it, logged the cache and went on our road trip.  

Well, the CO, realized that a throwdown had occured and deleted not only that cachers log, but also ours.

This upset of a bit, since we didn't know of the throwdown.  The CO explained that we hadn't found the real hide, and assured us it was there, so on the way back from our road trip we found the real cache, and logged it.  Just a minor inconvenience, but this is the sort of thing that can happen from throwdown caches.

A similar situation has occurred a few times, that we will DNF a cache, only to have the next "finder" place a throwdown and claim the find.  

I wonder if that's what's happened here:  http://coord.info/GC1VMZF

No find for 2-1/2 years, numerous DNF's and a couple of needs archived -- then a find out of the blue by someone that describes it as an "Easy PnG".   Hmmmmm, can you say throwdown?

#12 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

I wonder if that's what's happened here:  http://coord.info/GC1VMZF

No find for 2-1/2 years, numerous DNF's and a couple of needs archived -- then a find out of the blue by someone that describes it as an "Easy PnG".   Hmmmmm, can you say throwdown?

Lol. That's awesome, HC. I'm chuckling over here. Nothing like being outed. Lol

On a similar note, there have been a bunch of logs coming in from an area cacher on my and my wife's caches from someone who is logging in parallel to their "family members" who did actually make the find(s).The family members names are signed on the logs, but this person's name isn't signed on any of the logs. The person has had an account for quite some time, so it's not like they are backlogging because they splintered off to their own account and they are catching up. They are simply couch-caching. Like HC, I'm not a log-watcher. In fact, I've very rarely ever looked at names on logs in my caches. I figure honesty is a personal thing that they have to live with. However, since some of these logs are being back-dated to dates in October 2012 and forward, it looks like someone is trying to fabricate a cache-a-day streak. Sorry, but that just sticks in my craw. I've deleted the logs. They can bite me. Find the cache, sign the log. If they can't find it, I'll give them all the hints they want and even tell them right where it is if they want. But FIND the dang thing!

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#13 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Cool topic I contacted the owner of a cache a couple of months back and offered to replace the caches because he was no longer active.  

http://coord.info/GC22WD3 and http://coord.info/GC22WDJ  

My sons cub scout den made the replacements and placed them in the area.  He then contacted us and asked if we could just adopt the caches but has since stopped the communications.  I know number wise I am new to caching with only about 170 finds but do you see a lot of people with less than 10 finds put out caches and then just forget about them?  

Sorry if I hijacked the tread a little. 

#14 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

... do you see a lot of people with less than 10 finds put out caches and then just forget about them?  

Not a lot, proportionately, around me. Mostly Scouts, youth groups, etc., who move on. It all has a way of working itself out though in the end. It's just a little frustrating for newbies who seem to start looking for non-premium caches that have been abandoned or neglected, unsure if it's them or the hide.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#15 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Back to the original question - DELETE!!

Regarding throw down caches, when it's totally obvious that a cache is missing (say an LPC), I'll replace, but also notify the CO and post it in my log.   Anything difficult, no way I would repalce it. I could simply be knuckleheading it - it's no fun and to mention confusing, when you find two containers in the same general area.  Which to sign, which is the real container....

Edited by 2katz, 01 April 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Posted Image

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Cache Control (I think it was him.... or ProMedRick) has a story about one of the Beaumont area cachers ending up with four containers at his cache site, due to folks not finding it and resorting to the throw-down method.  :idiot2:

#17 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I had 2 at one of mine. 

Unfortunately, I put both of them there.    :uglystupid2:  :uglystupid2:  :uglystupid2:

I couldn't find the original hide, but the next finder found both of them! 

Cache Control (I think it was him.... or ProMedRick) has a story about one of the Beaumont area cachers ending up with four containers at his cache site, due to folks not finding it and resorting to the throw-down method.  :idiot2:

Posted Image

#18 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

DOH!

I had 2 at one of mine. 

Unfortunately, I put both of them there.    :uglystupid2:  :uglystupid2:  :uglystupid2:

I couldn't find the original hide, but the next finder found both of them! 

Posted Image

#19 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I had two identical caches at my Baseball Boys cache after non-caching son Dan put a replacement right next to the original. Then Kirbydox, Georeyna and Zephyr had a laugh while finding both at the same time while on a caching binge. Did you ever put that second cache back into the wild, Donna?

#20 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Ask Rich. She probably left it in his car.

I have had 2 on CLAPS.  Yeah.  Sometimes I can't find my own.  ;)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users