#1 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

My old Linxsys WRT54G, 2.4 GHz Wireless G router seems to be biting the dust.  I keep losing internet in the house and have to reboot it several times a day.  I was at the store the other day and looked at routers, but have no idea what kind to get.  Any recommendations?

We basically use it for internet connectivity for 3 computers and a wireless printer, plus an ipad and wi-fi for the phones.  Don't really stream a bunch of movies or anything, but you never know what the future holds.

We currently have a separate Craptastic modem, but I saw some at Office Depot that were modem and router all in one.  Any advantage (or disadvantage) to one of those?  Just looking for a little guidance from some of the smartest people in the state!

Edited by HoustonControl, 30 March 2013 - 05:33 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

TFP show be able to give you advice. I bought a refurbished Cisco Router at Comp USA for $24 and I really like it.

Edited by SockPuppet, 30 March 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Asus RT-N16 ($80ish) or the Asus RT-N66u ($150ish) Both support Tomato which I'm a huge fan of. With that said you may want to see if your current router supports DD-WRT or Tomato. It may fix the problems you're having.
With that said.. I was in Goodwill Computer store looking for old routers. They had a bunch of used Linksys WRT160Ns which support Tomato for $20-30.

Personally would not want a modem and router in one box. I have a Motorola cable modem that I bought. I just called Comcast and gave them the MAC address and they initialized it. It support the DOCSIS 3 spec and I've been very happy with not leasing a box.

I like to go to newegg.com and pick a category then sort by most reviews. If I see a product that has 3000+ reviews with a 4+ star rating chances are it's a going to be decent buy. Amazon works too.. I like newegg better though. Users are a bit more tech savvy.

Linksys is generally a pretty safe buy since Cisco bought them out.

FYI - DD-WRT and Tomato is akin to removing your Windows operating system from your computer and installing Linux. Routers run operating systems like most things nowadays so that means given the hardware you can replace the operating system with something else. Plenty of guides and videos out there. So.. just do a little homework first.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#4 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Before you purchase a new router, I went to the Comcast store and exchanged my old router for a new one - combo unit! (no additional charge)   This, after i purchased a good router just a month or two prior.  It is now gathering dust.

This is all assuming that Craptastic is indeed Comcast!  

Posted Image

#5 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

This is the unit I run and I LOVE it.  I have two of them (have a wireless bridge set up).  

http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Eagle

Posted Image

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the links.  I've been meaning to checkout Tomato for a while. 

I'm not sure if I am happy or not that my old d-link isn't supported.

Sweet specs on both of the ones you posted TFP, but I can't see doing that kind of $$ for the house.

Posted Image

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

http://lifehacker.co...ter-with-tomato

Posted Image

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

As luck would have it, Tomato works for the WRT54G V1-4... and I have V5.

But it looks like DD-WRT supports my router, so I may give it a try!

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Wow!  I am so stone age with my Trendnet!

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I have to admit, my first thought when I read the forum title, was a router of the Black and Decker variety.   :boring:

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#11 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Asus RT-N16 ($80ish) or the Asus RT-N66u ($150ish) Both support Tomato which I'm a huge fan of. With that said you may want to see if your current router supports DD-WRT or Tomato. It may fix the problems you're having.
With that said.. I was in Goodwill Computer store looking for old routers. They had a bunch of used Linksys WRT160Ns which support Tomato for $20-30.

The RT-N66u just popped up on SlickDealz.net.   BustBuy has it for $136 and no shipping.  So I took a closer look and it BustBuy has ALOT of routers on a one day sale (3/31/13)  http://www.bestbuy.c...id=abcat0503002

Posted Image

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

So.... 3 months later I'm still having problems with my router.  I decided in earnest to read up on installing DD-WRT firmware to my router today, but after reading through this guide and these additional instructions, I realized I need a PHD in computer science to even attempt this.  Definitely not written in layman's terms whatsoever.

I guess I'm back to buying a new router.  :tickedoff:

#13 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Previous versions of the WRT54G/WRT54GS routers were not plagued with this problem because they did not use VxWorks. When Linksys decided to install VxWorks onto the more current routers it became very difficult to upgrade them, until now. They eventually released the WRT54GL which is essentially the WRT54G version 5 but users are able to upgrade the firmware because it lacks VxWorks.  They moved from open source software to make most people buy new instead of reusing with other firmware editions.  The original firmware date of this model was 2008 and last Linksys edition was in 2009.  Do you have the latest?  Or would you rather try a firmware hack back to open source which would allow you to have later updates?

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

img.aspx?&uid=4b9d9c59-54d9-4f4d-b418-04

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

I have this version: v1.02.8 build 001, Oct. 5, 2009

#15 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

I sometimes have trouble with my router until I searched the internet and found a software configuration change that seems to have fixed the problem. I was getting a 105 error on Google Chrome. 

Posted Image

#16 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

I just installed an Asus RT-N56U upstairs to replace an old cheapie G router that kept turning itself off.  As an access point, it is the best I've had yet, with a strong clear 2.4GHZ signal upstairs and in the central part of the first floor.  The 5GHZ signal is much more limited is range.  I'm considering buying another to cover the east end of the house as my cheapie N router has become pretty unreliable now.  You can spring a few more bucks for an AC version that is blazing fast.  Nothing you probably own right now can access the AC protocol, but it is the future for infrastructure.  Until the next protocol comes along.  

I've looked into DD-WRT, but like you HC, I was unwilling to get a PhD just to upgrade my router.  I want to access the Internet, not to have to manage it.  

#17 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

My router is made by Craftsman. I think it has a 12 amp motor and turns around 5000 rpms. Also, it came with 20 different bytes, er , bits.
  • Mr Muddy Buddy and Baytown Bert like this

#18 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Previous versions of the WRT54G/WRT54GS routers were not plagued with this problem because they did not use VxWorks. When Linksys decided to install VxWorks onto the more current routers it became very difficult to upgrade them, until now. They eventually released the WRT54GL which is essentially the WRT54G version 5 but users are able to upgrade the firmware because it lacks VxWorks.  They moved from open source software to make most people buy new instead of reusing with other firmware editions.  The original firmware date of this model was 2008 and last Linksys edition was in 2009.  Do you have the latest?  Or would you rather try a firmware hack back to open source which would allow you to have later updates?

I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. :uglystupid2:

But i will say that i've gotten good service from my cheapy Belkin wireless router. Except for a few days here and there when we were out of town, it's been powered on since i bought it back in 2007.

#19 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

My old Linxsys WRT54G, 2.4 GHz Wireless G router seems to be biting the dust.  I keep losing internet in the house and have to reboot it several times a day.  I was at the store the other day and looked at routers, but have no idea what kind to get.  Any recommendations?

We basically use it for internet connectivity for 3 computers and a wireless printer, plus an ipad and wi-fi for the phones.  Don't really stream a bunch of movies or anything, but you never know what the future holds.

We currently have a separate Craptastic modem, but I saw some at Office Depot that were modem and router all in one.  Any advantage (or disadvantage) to one of those?  Just looking for a little guidance from some of the smartest people in the state!

This guy in Baytown has a free Net Gear Router for free.

http://2coolfishing....ad.php?t=508039

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users