15 replies to this topic

#1 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Yesterday my daughter and I were out hunting for some of the new caches in the woodlands that had popped up in the last week.  We had a great time finding the Got Artifact series and were headed to the got Animal series off of Gosling.  Instead of walking back to the car we decided to bushwhack it.  We had to cross the creek and after walking up and down the creek we found a spot that a tree had fallen perfectly over it.  While crossing the creek I spotted this container out of the corner of my eyes.

FCC4815B-547D-409E-AAE4-B39C5617606F-542

I took out the IPhone and searched but there was no geocache hidden at this spot.  The container had hooked itself to the fallen tree so my first thought was it was attached to the tree when it fell down.  When I get home I take the log out and let it dry.

BC3F052A-4233-42AF-9B9A-017177E6DAE5-542

I can just make out Team Trog with a find date of 8-27-12 so I go and look up the date in his logs (thanks to CARMOPAL for the tip) and discover that this cache had traveled about 2.5 miles upstream.  The person who placed the cache has not been very active so I wrote them a note and left one on the cache as well.

8) Does this count as a find?

#2 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

If it isn't a find, what is it? :angel:

While you indicated that you determined that the cache traveled upstream, is it still listed as "active" or has it been archived since no one could find it? :2funny:

I suggest that if you don't get an answer from the cache owner, you release it back into the wild with the aid of someone who found it in the original position.  Perhaps Team Trog remembers the find.

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

You bet  you found it even by accident.  Go look at my log on it.  I even said it would wash away and it did. 

Creekside series #1
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'd change your note to a find.

Posted Image

#5 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

You bet  you found it even by accident.  Go look at my log on it.  I even said it would wash away and it did. 

Creekside series #1

You did call it a regular Nostradamus of the caching world.  I am going to let it dry repair the cache and attempt to place it back in a spot close to the original location as I can...paying attention to it not getting washed away this time if possible. 

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

It was on the edge of the creek on a ledge.  It made no sense to place it there but oh well.  Glad you found it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 rathergohiking

rathergohiking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I found that cache too. You should log it as a find also.  I would not even attempt to put it back in its original location.  Sometimes it amazes me how some people place hides in the absolute worse and illogical places.  This cache was tied (not very securely) to a root about a foot or so above the water level.  The first big rain we had after it was placed probably washed it away.

Not all who wander are lost......JRR Tolkien

#8 TXCinnamongirl

TXCinnamongirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Great find! We were there looking just last weekend.

#9 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

I found that cache too. You should log it as a find also.  I would not even attempt to put it back in its original location.  Sometimes it amazes me how some people place hides in the absolute worse and illogical places.  This cache was tied (not very securely) to a root about a foot or so above the water level.  The first big rain we had after it was placed probably washed it away.

Thanks for the great caches that led us to this location.  I did mark it as a find after all it was found.  I am going to go look at the location is was at and use common sense when replacing it.   

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

My first thought when I read this was that you found a puzzle final. Glad that it wasn't, and that you recovered a lost one. Well done!

Who needs coords!? :D

Edited by KeyResults, 25 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Looks like the container was Gladware anyway -- about one step above a cardboard box as far as keeping out water is concerned.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Funny HC!!  

Posted Image

#13 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I had a similar experience in Memorial Park recently. I went out 3 times to try and find the Texas Music Jukebox cache and just couldn't find it, I knew it had been replaced but had overlooked it. On my second to last visit I stumbled across a VERY flat ammocan. Took it home and managed to pry the log from the container, and it turned out to be the original TMJ-cache.

Contacted the owner and told some folks about it at the UFO event, and I was glad to see that Rich&Lola adopted the cache, it's a very old cache (2001) and it deserved a better faith.

Went out a third (or was it fourth?) time and finally managed to find the replacement container too..... two for the price of one I guess  :coolsmiley:

http://<iframe src="...="no"></iframe>

Edited by Dhaulaghiri, 25 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#14 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I knew The Woodlands was cool, but the water flows uphill that well? Do you have to use airplane toilets, or does everybody wear astronaut diapers? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#15 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

I knew The Woodlands was cool, but the water flows uphill that well? Do you have to use airplane toilets, or does everybody wear astronaut diapers? Inquiring minds want to know.

Whoops downstream.....but I have meet somepeople in the woodlands who would tell you they can make water go upstream.

#16 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

I would definitely claim it as a find, especially after you have done the research to figure out which cache it was.   We found one that had floated downstream about 1/4 of a mile quite some time back.   We realized that it probably had floated downstream when the creek rose, so Stan just started searching downstream.  He was about 1/4 of a mile downstream when he found it lodged by something.   We did end up moving it back to near the original position but just on higher ground and taking new coordinates to give to the CO.  

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users