Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I saw that today. I've been waiting forever. That happens to be my wedding anniversary. My wife couldn't have gotten me a better gift. I don't know how she managed to get Mark to do it but I am grateful.
  • KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#3 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Wow! Really excellent update! Nearly everything I was hoping for! I can't believe this was free upgrade. User interface is different but well conceived. Full offline DB, and now real time API integration there. Trackables and photos now handled well and seamlessly. Preserved powerful filtering and sorts with more attributes such as fav sorts. Little things cool like flashlight button or GPS on/off button easily accessible. Can't wait to put it through its paces and review it. Stay tuned. So far: Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. If you cache with an iPhone you owe it to yourself to have this app. It is superb.

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I have the app on my phone (updating now), but really haven't used it much.  Learning curve is pretty steep for an old guy like me!  I tend to stick with the 62s, but the app seems tailor-made for long trips and/or times where you're not sure where all you're going to be.  I'll have to give it another go.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I downloaded it.  Now I have to find the time to learn about it and try it out.

Posted Image

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Watch the videos the author has supplied. Takes abt 20 mins. Then just play around a little bit. I believe you'll catch it pretty quickly. The new interface may make it easier even though it way more feature rich. It's worth the effort.

#7 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Looks like a nice app. I watched one of the videos and was thinking about how much screen real estate he could reclaim by making the interface more modern and flat. The curvy borders and what not seem so web 2.0ish. I was also thinking how is it possible that groundspeak does so poorly with their own apps that these guys blown them out of the water.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I watched the videos on the bus to work this morning and got to use the map, look at some, and see the map views.  Wow.  This is a really nice app.  Can't wait to actually try it caching.

Posted Image

#9 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I've used the old one for 6+ months now and it's a pretty powerful app. I can't wait to try the update this weekend!!

Posted Image

#10 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

iPhone....hmmm.....I've heard of these things. Unfortunately, my employer has not. :tickedoff:

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#11 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

There's a few things I miss from v2. Still trying to get used to this version.
Posted Image

#12 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

There's a few things I miss from v2. Still trying to get used to this version.

Same here. Used it for the first time caching today.   A few 'ARGH!' moments!!      >:(

Posted Image

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Will give it another go tomorrow before weighing in but some surprises that kinda got me. UI is still feeling a little clunky but may be just different.

Watch out for the 8000 limit!  While you may have lots more caches in various groups, you may not display any combination of groups where the total caches would exceed 8000 or the app "truncates" the listing. This bit me when I tried to display a group containing 6200 unfound unowned caches while also displaying myfinds totalling 2500+ caches...the system will show only the first 8000 it decides to list or display at this time anyway. 

Not sure where the 8k number came from. Possibly it's just arbitrary. Just have to cut up the groupings with this in mind. I don't recall this ever being an issue in V2

#14 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

8000 was most definitely a limit in v2. I ran into the same scenario you describe many times. I would use the filters to narrow results down to 8000. So turn on both groups, but then filter out all but traditionals. For example.
Posted Image

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I tried it out on Sunday.  It definitely takes some getting used to.  I did have one interesting quirk.  I tried to log a cache with a photo.  It kept failing and stalling out.  Numerous times.  Tried it on the gc.com app and it worked fine.  Had to go in and delete it out of Geosphere so it didn't post it as a log, too.

Other than just the getting used to it aspect the app seemed to work great.  It's really packed with a lot of features, many of which I've not even started to scratch the surface of. 

I need to try downloading some PQs on it as using the find caches on the map part seems to suck battery juice much faster than the gc.com app.  Having them available offline will probably save that considerably.

Posted Image

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

2katz and I cached yesterday with it and definitely have reserved some areas of concern. It's hard to say yet if it's just us trying to get used to the new interface or if it's just a funky interface/bug. Offline DB mode (using PQ's) versus online mode (Ground Speak app) is WAY better on battery life historically, I am hoping this version will be just as good or better at the online or real-time side of things than the Grnd Speak app. Guess we'll just need to do some serious controlled comparisons side by side to know for sure.

Right now my biggest issue is that some newer features, Photo attach, Trackables, or Fav Point, require the cache be uploaded directly to GC.com which takes it out of the workflow for GSAK publishing. I'm not loving that.

Also, the auto transition from navigate, to online to offline modes are really not very intuitive or smooth. Extra steps now vs Ver 2.x disappointing me.

Not loving that Bookmarks are a segregated group from Cache "Target" and Map tabs when in Navigate, Online or Offline view/mode. This makes it much clunkier to set a geocache target, then kick it over to Google Maps or Navigon etc. for voice guidance in the car to get you close. 

It's clear to me that the flow wasn't modeled and optimized at all for various usage cases. I hope this is something that can be rectified or improved without too much hassle in the near future. 

May have uncovered a few issues with GSAK imports such as corrected coords on solved puzzles, but unsure if the probs were self-inflicted oversight on my part so jury still out on that til next outing.

On the plus side: It was HUGE to be able to adjust sorts based on attributes, and favs by map area and location while geocaching on the fly. We decided that best use of our limited time was to focus on FAVs nearby, a strategy that's served us well traveling. The app performed beautifully in that regard, even ad hoc. 

I continued to enjoy logging w Siri which has been trained fairly well at this point to distinguish cache from cash or two cats from 2katz :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users