11 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I wonder how it would handle the gumbo of Clear Creek or the harsh terrain of the Baytown or Highlands area?

(I know Bert's been racking up the OT...just sayin' );D 

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Looks like a panzer. If it comes in blue, Bert may be interested. Every cache, everywhere, becomes a PNG.

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

That's a pretty bold claim: 'this car is impossible to get stuck'..... Now there is a challenge if I ever heard one! Let's get that thing to Texas ASAP, and see if it's really impossible to get it stuck!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I can't imagine how much one would cost as the 4 wheel versions are over 100,000

Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Beast!  I've been places where this machine would be challenged that a shorter 4X4 Jeep could traverse, but it is a sweet ride and Mercedes makes the Unimog for garsh sakes, so they know about off-roading a vehicle.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

We were caching around Mart lake up near Marlin recently and some Bubbas came cruising through the park in a big jacked-up 4WD Dodge Ram pickup. As we were leaving, the same said vehicle was stuck in a mud bog, spinning all four wheels. I laughed and laughed...
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

I cannot tell you how many of those I have pulled free using my FJC after fishing on High Island in late Summer. Pickups seem to have the toughest time getting "bite" with full tires in super soft sand. The drivers all seem to make the same mistake: driving off the established packed path, and not deflating tires. This vehicle, as well as the Humvee, have tire deflation and inflation while driving! Press a button and voila! In fact, the Humvee can keep a punctured tire inflated on the fly automagically. Pretty cool.
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

We were caching around Mart lake up near Marlin recently and some Bubbas came cruising through the park in a big jacked-up 4WD Dodge Ram pickup. As we were leaving, the same said vehicle was stuck in a mud bog, spinning all four wheels. I laughed and laughed...

Was it as bad as this place?  http://coord.info/GC42DB2

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I cannot tell you how many of those I have pulled free using my FJC after fishing on High Island in late Summer. Pickups seem to have the toughest time getting "bite" with full tires in super soft sand. The drivers all seem to make the same mistake: driving off the established packed path, and not deflating tires. This vehicle, as well as the Humvee, have tire deflation and inflation while driving! Press a button and voila! In fact, the Humvee can keep a punctured tire inflated on the fly automagically. Pretty cool.

How long does it take to get to High Island? It looks pretty far but I no the fishing is stellar down there.

Posted Image

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

From Spring it's 2.5 hours w no traffic (3:30am) I-10 to Winnie, right to the breakers, then left down the beach, past the nude beach section) 5.5 miles. It's where most of the TKF KAYAKERS go for bull sharks and big drum beyond the breakers. The surf fishing is great too. It's right where the sandy bottom and muddy bottom converge. 300-1,000 yds offshore is very clear water. Great for Bulls on Mullet netted in surf. The bulls will pull you and yak for a mile or more which is a huge rush! This goes on all day long or until you're exhausted. Google: "Texas Sleigh Ride" we have lots if videos and pics.

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

The beach past that area to Sabine Pass is the worst beach on the Texas Gulf Coast (Old HWY 87).  Some of the best is Matagorda, heading north.

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Depends on how you look at it. Most fisherman like the al naturale of this stretch of coast which is largely as it was 100 years ago. Plus, nobody hassles you about collecting driftwood and camping with open fires on beach. People are always very friendly out that way too, but it not the place if you want services. It's primitive camping for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users