#1 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Anyone else use the Bird's Eye imagery from Garmin? I subscribed to try it out... it works in small doses, but when I spent the time and downloaded most of metro Chicago...my GPS doesn't seem to want all that data loaded at once. I get an "invalid JNX file" error. I know the files are fine because when I load one at a time it works fine. Is there some unpublished limit? I tried Googling an answer and can't find anything.

img.aspx?txt=Where%20is%20it???&uid=f5e6 stat5.aspx?id=10097992

#2 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

I had the same problem about a year ago.  It went away when I cleared the device... I didn't reload the birds eye images.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the feature... much easier to see it on c:geo instead.  If I'm somewhere where I can't use the phone.... I tend to take screenshots of google maps when I am in range and then I just look at the screenshots on my tablet.  Way better resolution, faster, easier, and cheaper.

Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

I use it and when you get everything right, it's great.  The interface is a bit of a challenge when drawing the map area though.  Look in the your GPSr's Birdeye folder and cut all the map files out and past them somewhere else in the device, then add one and reboot and see if it is good or bad.  Chances are one of them is bad and the rest work.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I tried a lot of things and finally discovered that there is some limit to the amount we can load. I deleted all the image data and added one at a time and it works. Then I tried doing a small area (4 image files) and it worked. Apparently the pictures are called "tiles", and there is a limit to those.

So my last caching trip I loaded my PQ in BaseCamp, centered it and zoomed to a level that caches filled the screen. Then I used the same screen size to see what image files I needed to cover the same area and loaded only those image files. After that it worked great. I had the ground imagery only for the area where I was caching, which was fine with me.

This is all on top of the routeable map data I already had loaded for the whole US.

If anyone has any other better ideas please share.

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like you got it perfect.  Birdseye like everything else Garmin has is sadly behind and they need to step up their game.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

It's not perfect, but it works for now. Garmin responded to my request and stated the files are corrupt, which is impossible since I know they work one at a time. They claim I can load up to 256 image files!

I'll continue to go back and fourth with them.

#7 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Start adding one at a time and then testing.  When it fails the one you last added should be the "corrupt" one.  Then show them that it is good on its own.  I had when a company says "it is probably this" and then you have to prove to them beyond a reasonable doubt that it is not.

Eagle

Posted Image

#8 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

For what it's worth... the last email from Garmin asked me to use a smaller data card in my GPS. That worked, I think. I also loaded the card via my laptop using the sdcard reader, not only was it faster it may have prevented any corruption in the file transfer. Either way it works now... only issue is that GPS boot time is a lot longer now. So after all this I may still just load the imagery of the area I'm going caching in.

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Indeed, the boot time can be over a minute.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users