30 replies to this topic

#1 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think I found it in Brooklyn Pizza. It is thin crust NY style. $3/slice and less. There is one in Missouri City and one in Humble.

www.bkpizzeria.com

Edited by SockPuppet, 07 March 2013 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Grimaldi's for thin crust, Star Pizza for thick. Frank's if you're downtown and Star would take too long to deliver.

Posted Image

#3 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Grimaldi's for thin crust, Star Pizza for thick. Frank's if you're downtown and Star would take too long to deliver.

What happen to Mellow Mushroom?  They make pretty good pizza's if you are in the Spring area.

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Honestly, I just forget we have one locally. It's a trek for me.

MM pizza is awesome and in a flavor league of its own. Beer Club, too, with great beer selection. One of my favorite places!
Posted Image

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have eaten at Star and I prefer Brooklyn Pizzeria. I think the owner is actually from Brooklyn. I have eaten at Lombardi's in NYC but this pizza was even better. 

Posted Image

#6 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

I've eaten there once and it was good, but I didn't get pizza. I'll have to try the pizza for sure.

Posted Image

#7 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

I have eaten at Brooklyn Pizza in Humble I prefer Brothers Pizza in Spring.

#8 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Seems like a "tallest midget" or "dryest water" contest, the bar is set pretty low.
May be the dough, the sauce or the cheese, but something just doesn't click for me.
It may be what you grew up with - good pizza to me is from mom and pop places in the NE.
Pizza Junction and Nurrchi's in NY, the white pizza places in Scranton PA

Houston does seafood, Tex-Mex, steaks and bbq very well, but pizza isn't our strong point.
  • Cyborg_TEK likes this

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Maybe Pizza is like BBQ and too subjective to rate one higher than the other.

Posted Image

#10 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Seems like a "tallest midget" or "dryest water" contest, the bar is set pretty low.
May be the dough, the sauce or the cheese, but something just doesn't click for me.
It may be what you grew up with - good pizza to me is from mom and pop places in the NE.

Houston does seafood, Tex-Mex, steaks and bbq very well, but pizza isn't our strong point.

I think you are probably right that it matters what you grew up with. 

The best pizza that I ever had was from Pietro's in Longview, Washington.  However, the pizza there went down hill when two of the guys left.  Then the best pizza was at Bruno's in Longview as long as Dick was working (one of the two guys who left Pietro's).  We used to call up and first ask if Dick was working today.  If the answer was yes we'd order.  If the answer was no, we'd be disappointed and wait for another day.  It was amazing that it made such a difference.  Wonderful thin crust cooked very crispy (on a bed of cornmeal in a very hot oven).  Uh oh, I'm getting nostalgic and hungry...

Wait, I did mention that I grew up in Longview, Washington, right? :cheers:

#11 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Luiges (sp?) corner of Bissonett and Newcastle just inside the 610 loop. They have another place over on Almeda near the main HCC campus. Great thin crust pizza. We do like the thick crust at Stars but Luiges is becoming our favorite.

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think you are probably right that it matters what you grew up with. 

The best pizza that I ever had was from Pietro's in Longview, Washington.  However, the pizza there went down hill when two of the guys left.  Then the best pizza was at Bruno's in Longview as long as Dick was working (one of the two guys who left Pietro's).  We used to call up and first ask if Dick was working today.  If the answer was yes we'd order.  If the answer was no, we'd be disappointed and wait for another day.  It was amazing that it made such a difference.  Wonderful thin crust cooked very crispy (on a bed of cornmeal in a very hot oven).  Uh oh, I'm getting nostalgic and hungry...

Wait, I did mention that I grew up in Longview, Washington, right? :cheers:

Actually this is my experience with Chinese Restaurants. You pick you favorite cook and you follow him around as he moves from restaurant to restaurant. And like you said if it is his day off you might as well go somewhere else.

Posted Image

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

For me, nothing will ever beat peering into the huge window in front of Giovanni's and watching the aerial display of spinning dough growing right before my eyes. Always smiling broadly, old Mr. Giovanni personally spun out every single pie for as long as I can remember, while Mama G would generally dress em the way you wanted. They were both immigrants from Italy. They worked hard. They spoke Italian a lot, and loudly, often while shaking sharp instruments! The place was barely big enough for the counters and the big oven, and all pies were take-out -pick-up only. It was a sad day when he passed. Mama G closed almost immediately, and passed away within a few months.

For me, that will always be THE best pizza.

But in Houston, I am partial to Star (Wheat crust) and Barry's Sicilian Style (Square and Thick).

I have always heard Chicago area has a mean Pie as well as NYC and upstate NY. But, those are just based on what I've read or heard from others.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

I can't believe that Fuzzy's hasn't at least gotten honorable mention. Four locations but not one near us so Brothers is a good stand-in for the Willowbrook area.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#15 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well talk about being spoiled..... I will never in my life eat better Pizza then I did when I worked in Italy. Truly, the art of a good Pizza is all about simplicity.

But I disagree with some of you about the Pizza's in Houston, so far we've tried a couple of places and they're pretty decent compared to my (high) standard. I must admit I have no taste for the American style Pizza with a thick crust and lots of cheese, but I'd recommend Dolce Vita on Westheimer, Piola on Lousiana in Midtown and Prego in Rice Village.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

<snip> I will never in my life eat better Pizza then I did when I worked in Italy. <snip>

True. I too must say that Pizza I ate in both Milano, and by Italians in Munich were very good. Extremely thin crispy crust and very little sauce, sparse cheese, but very flavorful. Very light fare compared to the rich doughy pies here in the states.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#17 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

I have been dreaming of trying out this pizza ever since I read this post, but family obligations and work had gotten in the way.  I grew up in Brooklyn, so Texas pizza (except for Brothers Pizza) has never even come close.  So today was the day.  We went to the Humble location.  I took the first bite.  The crust was thin (not too thin) and crispy.  There was the right ratio of real cheese and sauce, and it had that "NY taste" that I remember so well. I felt like I had gone home.

The power had gone out due to a nearby car accident, so the soda machine was not working when we ordered.  The power came on, and they told us to enjoy the soda on the house.  Now I know I am not in NY.  The people were way too nice! :2funny:

Thanks for telling us about my new favorite place. YUM!!!! 

#18 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Davarle team, which place are you referring to that you tried?

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#19 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Davarle team, which place are you referring to that you tried?

Brooklyn Pizza in Humble.

#20 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have been dreaming of trying out this pizza ever since I read this post, but family obligations and work had gotten in the way.  I grew up in Brooklyn, so Texas pizza (except for Brothers Pizza) has never even come close.  So today was the day.  We went to the Humble location.  I took the first bite.  The crust was thin (not too thin) and crispy.  There was the right ratio of real cheese and sauce, and it had that "NY taste" that I remember so well. I felt like I had gone home.

The power had gone out due to a nearby car accident, so the soda machine was not working when we ordered.  The power came on, and they told us to enjoy the soda on the house.  Now I know I am not in NY.  The people were way too nice! :2funny:

Thanks for telling us about my new favorite place. YUM!!!! 

Glad you liked it. Someone told me they were rude at the one in Sugar Land but the two times I went there they were extremely nice.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users