27 replies to this topic

#1 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I got excited today because a cache I placed last September (A multi called NTNC #21  :NTN:  - GC3XCM9) had it's 2nd find.  I immediately read the log to see that TexasWriter had come down to Sugar Land to complete his D/T grid (it wasn't my cache which is a 4/3.5) but happy to have read that he filled in his grid, I wanted to congratulate him.

CONGRATS TexasWriter!!! :fist-pump:

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Thanks, TAZ. That's awesome. I appreciate it....I really do. We LOVED doing your multi. I'm going to be evangelizing it, so hopefully it will get some more visitors soon. Meant to mention in my log that we both dropped pathtags in it, too.

Question: Aren't there some challenge caches out there related to completing one's D/T grid?

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thanks, TAZ. That's awesome. I appreciate it....I really do. We LOVED doing your multi. I'm going to be evangelizing it, so hopefully it will get some more visitors soon. Meant to mention in my log that we both dropped pathtags in it, too.

Question: Aren't there some challenge caches out there related to completing one's D/T grid?

Yep, they're all called Fizzy Challenges.  The nearest one I know of is in San Antonio -- GC2E4N8  If you're really feeling plucky, you can qualify for the Triple Fizzy Challenge!

Congrats on filling it in.  It took me almost 8 years!

Edited by HoustonControl, 03 March 2013 - 08:18 AM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

TexasWriter, you continue to amaze me on how quickly you are reaching various milestones.   You truly are addicted!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Posted Image

#5 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Good job TW! What's next? All grids? All counties? Every traditional in Harris county? :D If there's a way to log one on the ISS, I'm certain you'll figure out a way to log it...by bicycle even!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#6 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Great Job TW!  

Thanks to HC, I now have a new Challenge on my horizon.  I am actually not terribly far from being done with it, except when you realize how far away I'd have to go to get more of the offbeat D/T combos.  I mean there's just not really many 1/4.5s or 4/4.5s out there.

Posted Image

#7 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Great Job TW!  

Thanks to HC, I now have a new Challenge on my horizon.  I am actually not terribly far from being done with it, except when you realize how far away I'd have to go to get more of the offbeat D/T combos.  I mean there's just not really many 1/4.5s or 4/4.5s out there.

I put out a D4.5 / T1.0 recently (Evil Warrior) and my wife put out a kinder, gentler one with the same ratings (Blackout). Unless you're talking about the converse of that combo....D1.0 / T4.5...then that's another story entirely....

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Congrats.  I've got 1 more to go to complete my grid.  Been working on it forever....

D=5, T=4.5

I know of only 1 in the Houston area that fits this rating combination. 

Sigh!  Maybe one of these days....

Posted Image

#9 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Congrats I know how hard it can be to find a cache you need.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Congrats.  I've got 1 more to go to complete my grid.  Been working on it forever....

D=5, T=4.5

I know of only 1 in the Houston area that fits this rating combination. 

Sigh!  Maybe one of these days....

I know the one of which you speak. I found it a few months ago. I'm quite sure you would too. It's just a matter of getting to it...and there's more than one way to skin a cat. :coolsmiley:

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

http://coord.info/GC2P4EW

It's really not that bad, terrain wise, if you don't mind "not seeing" a no trespassing sign...

#12 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

It's really not that bad, terrain wise, if you don't mind "not seeing" a no trespassing sign...

The way that I went in (from the side of the creek the cache is on), I didn't see any no trespassing signs.

Edited by TexasWriter, 04 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

The way that I went in (from the side of the creek the cache is on), I didn't see any no trespassing signs.

Was this the cache you dropped on via parachute? Or was this the GyroCopter (ultralight fannypack model)?

(the legend continues)

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Was this the cache you dropped on via parachute? Or was this the GyroCopter (ultralight fannypack model)?

(the legend continues)

No, this was the jet-pack propulsion trip. I'm currently working on teleportation so that I can do the Texas series without a single thorn scratch. ;>)

• KeyResults likes this

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

This is the one I saw when I passed around the right side of the retention pond. Of course if you pass right through the middle, you're good to go!

dbac97a8-6884-4720-bd99-cb911f78e0cf.jpg

#16 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

This is the one I saw when I passed around the right side of the retention pond. Of course if you pass right through the middle, you're good to go!

dbac97a8-6884-4720-bd99-cb911f78e0cf.jpg

I came in from the west side and parked at a dead end chunk of road in the subdivision there on the west side. The retention pond is on the east side, correct?

Edited by TexasWriter, 04 March 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

No, I came in from the west side as well.  Here's a picture:

767a7cab-166c-40e8-8f96-9d0841f94499.jpg

#18 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Peach Bluff Lane?   Who comes up with these names?!?   Really.

Then again in CA I lived on Anglesite.   It wasn't a street or a lane or even a way... it was just a mineral.   Not many one word streets out there.... humm... maybe my first puzzle hide... naw.

Posted Image

#19 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

I didn't see that sign and I parked in the same spot. I think I may have hopped the "retention pond". If I didn't then I'm sure I had my head down staring at my electronics. Keeps me from knowingly breaking any laws. It's also a good way to get a sharp stick to the face.
Posted Image

#20 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

That looks like a freshly minted sign. I parked where HC pointed to in his pic and walked along the side where he shows the sign being. I don't recall it being there when I found that cache (last May.)

That one was a fun one. I wasn't using my phone but instead used my GPSr and when I went into the woods, I think it froze up on me (only time I've experienced that) well when I got to the ravine it showed it being on the other side of the creek. So I went North along it, around a bend a bit to find a place (tree fall) to cross. I made it across and I think it started working again, at least it was moving around now. I get back south to the bend, and it's pointing me to the other side. Grumble, Grumble Grumble. I decided to keep going around as it turns back towards the East to see if there's an easier crossing. Wow, another dead fall. I cross it (a bit tricky getting around one limb. IIRC.) I get off on the other side on a rock sand bar (well kinda a sand bar - more like a fire ant mound disguised as a sand bar.) It's pointing me towards the roots at this point. I decided to read the hint. 'Mega Pappy Style' at this point I'm scratching my head. WTF is Mega Pappy Style I've never done a Pappy Cache so I don't know his style. I called Kirbydox and she explained what a Mega Pappy was it's about this time that I feel the fire ants syncro bite my ankles, I've got Hiking boots on and the bottom of my jeans are wet, so we have fun playing squish the little bastards. I head back to the high grounds and find the cache about 5 mins later.

That one was definitely an adventure and if not for the reasons that was listed in the cache.

Edited by TAZ427, 05 March 2013 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users