#1 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

https://www.facebook...595659720464065

Hope this works, saw this amazing video on FB, and it explains it all ;)

Edited by Dhaulaghiri, 01 March 2013 - 06:09 PM.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I retired from Shell. He had a saying "If you ain't Dutch you ain't much."

Posted Image

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've been to four of those places (Aruba, Curacao, Saint Martin, and The Netherlands). No wonder Curacao reminded me of Amsterdam!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've been to four of those places (Aruba, Curacao, Saint Martin, and The Netherlands). No wonder Curacao reminded me of Amsterdam!

I know what you mean, we visited CuraƧao last year ;)

Thanks for the multi-madness series btw, I enjoyed them today, although I must say they almost had me convinced I was crazy.... check the log on #11  :-[

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#5 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think that is going to take a few more repeat viewings for all of that to sink it.  I must point out that it didn't mention anything about wooden shoes...or windmills for that matter.

Posted Image

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

I think that is going to take a few more repeat viewings for all of that to sink it.  I must point out that it didn't mention anything about wooden shoes...or windmills for that matter.

HaaaaaarrrHarharharhar!!! Now that will teach you people making fun of our proud country  :2funny: !

Seriously, it sometimes becomes an issue back home... the people in Holland (either one) sometimes think they're 'better' than the rest of us Dutch. I'm originally from Eindhoven, which is in the southern part of the Netherlands and by some it is considered as 'back-country' or even worse.

It maybe comparable to the 'Yankee' attitude that seems to exist in some parts of the U.S.

But in the end I almost always end up telling people I'm from Holland, just because it's easier on most, and that way they immediately know where I'm from.

Ps.: the vid doesn't mention our policies on drugs, prostitution or abortion either, ijs..... :coolsmiley:

#7 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Upon second viewing, I did notice the windmill reference.

Posted Image

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

HaaaaaarrrHarharharhar!!! Now that will teach you people making fun of our proud country  :2funny: !

Seriously, it sometimes becomes an issue back home... the people in Holland (either one) sometimes think they're 'better' than the rest of us Dutch. I'm originally from Eindhoven, which is in the southern part of the Netherlands and by some it is considered as 'back-country' or even worse.

It maybe comparable to the 'Yankee' attitude that seems to exist in some parts of the U.S.

But in the end I almost always end up telling people I'm from Holland, just because it's easier on most, and that way they immediately know where I'm from.

Ps.: the vid doesn't mention our policies on drugs, prostitution or abortion either, ijs..... :coolsmiley:

I'm well aware of the drug policy...I only had one layover in Amsterdam and I wished it were longer so as to more fully experience the country  :blackeye:  

alas, we didn't have time to leave the airport.  But we did find out that Luftansa didn't grab our luggage from Houston (from their perspective, it would be from Newark, but I digress...), so I did have to buy underwear in the airport!  It took three more days for our luggage to catch up to us in Rome.

Posted Image

#9 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think it is so much and Yankee/Southern thing anymore as much as it is just an East Coast/West coast bias since that's where the major media outlets are centered.  Everything from LA to New York is just flyover country (to those guys doing the media).  Houston is quietly gaining the most major growth of any city because Texas is where all the jobs are these days.  I was sent this Joel Kotkin in Forbes article by one of my clients and thought it a very worthy read;  http://www.forbes.co...endancy-in-u-s/

Posted Image

#10 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

I currently work for Shell and yes, the motherland is in The Netherlands.   And yes, Shell is a Dutch company. (if you didn't already know that)

Posted Image

#11 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

I currently work for Shell and yes, the motherland is in The Netherlands.   And yes, Shell is a Dutch company. (if you didn't already know that)

My wife works for Shell as a contractor, do you work Downtown, Westhollow or even somewhere else??

#12 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Pennzoil bldg. my floor is slated to move to osp the last week of may. I manage events and conferences for the lubes business and exhibitions for all businesses in North America
Posted Image

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Don't buy imported gasoline from some foreign-run company stealing jobs from Americans! Buy domestic with ExxonMobil! (makes about as much sense as railing against Toyota or Honda in preference for General Motors, huh?)

Here's a pic of my wife in the flower market in Amsterdam (no, we didn't buy any)

7dfd1000-fd00-4013-8adc-4c1631d0ed8f.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl, 03 March 2013 - 08:36 AM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

That IS an amazing video!  Going to have my daughter watch it as she's been asking some geography questions.  That ought to blow her mind pretty quickly.

Posted Image

#15 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

ThePaperPilot has a standing Saturday Dr. Who mini-marathon with the neighborhood kids at our house.  I made them watch that as a PSA.  They loved it and maybe learned something.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users