15 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361981086.467807.jpg   90.64KB   16 downloads I was lucky. Ill have my scary looking Cyborg patriotic eye for a while but no harm done. If you bush whack, you might consider some kind of eye protection.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I've had a similar experience a while back. While I was doing a multi-staged cache I apparently approached a waypoint from the wrong direction.... I had to take a step UP and in doing so (having to look at where I was placing my feet) I was grazed by a piece of barbed wire. It scratched my face up, tore the shirt I was wearing and ended up me having to abandon my search because of pretty serious bleeding.

When I got back to my car and checked the damage I realized I had been lucky: I wear glasses, they took some of the hit and may even have deflected the barbed-wire away from my eyes.

All in all the only permanent damage sustained was my torn up shirt. I DID end up finding the cache a couple of days later, but did send a mail to the CO to warn others of the barbed wire.

I might have been able to avoid it if I would A: Not have been alone (maybe my S.O. would have been able to warn me!) B: Approached the WP from another direction, but it was in dense shrubbery and partially entwined/grown into a tree, C: Totally encompassed in the Multi / GPSr / placement of my feet.

Oh well, women seem to dig scars  :laugh: !

• georeyna and KeyResults like this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

You can never be too safe especially if you bushwhack at night. I remember someone hide a cache with fishing lures as way points including the hooks. I put on safety glasses and hardhat. The one that I didn't consider was an aggressive dog.Luckily for me the dog was Blanco and the cache owner was with him. I have often wondered if I also need a Kevlar vest to protect my body in case I trip and fall in a broken sapling tree trunk. I have caught by shoe on a vine a handful on times and have almost done a face plant.

Glad you didn't do any serious damage Key. At least you get to say Arg! 

I remember another time I coming back from finding a cache and I ducked under a wild magnolia tree limb and cut the top of my head. It was bleeding pretty bad. Luckily I had some paper towels in the car to apply direct pressure. I was not too far from home but had to drive with one hand on my head and the other on the steering wheel. The next day I went to the doctor and she said I should have gone to the ER. I went to an ER clinic and he cleaned the wound and said I should be ok.

Edited by SockPuppet, 27 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

I've almost lost an eye about 10 times and I wear glasses.  I'm thinking some kind of collapsable goggles that go over my glasses.

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

To add on to this, it appears some areas are like Mirkwood.  They inherently evil for the number of almost invisible sharp pointy things.  I can go through all kinds of foliage with little more than punture wounds from thorns, then one particular area is almost AI in its ability to pass through my defenses.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you, Bert.
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#7 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Just because you are paranoid, does not mean they are not out to get you.

Eagle

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#8 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I generally like to wear a big brim hat. When I really get going I put my head down and barrel my way thru. The brim collapses over my face protecting it.

I sometimes, although not in a long time, have worn my high contrast shooting glasses which are seemingly protective and can enhance visibility in shady areas.

b28ee3bf-5efc-436e-a893-2b0a596edeae.jpgf7d38e7a-d9ab-41ce-b4bd-97690d6ced3d.jpg

Don shares my same philosophy....

cdf52578-49c8-4d35-b292-59162a2d2542.jpg

• georeyna likes this
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#9 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

For the record I too wear a brim hat which was in place when that branch jumped up and ambushed me.

#10 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I wear glasses because I am blind without them and also a hat.  I have had branches knock my glasses a few times.  It does come in handy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yea, I got a twig in the eye while I was doing *2nd Obscure Park* the finally in Baytown.  The twig, which was the size of a pin, went into the corner of my eye and went around my eyeball.  I yanked back quickly because obviously I did not see that one coming, it was too small.  I was in pain for a bit, thought I would go blind for a moment.  I finally made it out, blinked a couple of times and realized I just scratched my eye.  

Now if you see a plant growing out of my eye, I may need a professional to tell me what kind of weed it is!! LOL!!

.jpeg said he has some safety glasses for me so I am looking forward for the delivery!! 

Edited by georeyna, 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#12 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I've had a similar experience a while back. While I was doing a multi-staged cache I apparently approached a waypoint from the wrong direction.... I had to take a step UP and in doing so (having to look at where I was placing my feet) I was grazed by a piece of barbed wire. It scratched my face up, tore the shirt I was wearing and ended up me having to abandon my search because of pretty serious bleeding.

When I got back to my car and checked the damage I realized I had been lucky: I wear glasses, they took some of the hit and may even have deflected the barbed-wire away from my eyes.

All in all the only permanent damage sustained was my torn up shirt. I DID end up finding the cache a couple of days later, but did send a mail to the CO to warn others of the barbed wire.

I might have been able to avoid it if I would A: Not have been alone (maybe my S.O. would have been able to warn me!) B: Approached the WP from another direction, but it was in dense shrubbery and partially entwined/grown into a tree, C: Totally encompassed in the Multi / GPSr / placement of my feet.

Oh well, women seem to dig scars  :laugh: !

Gosh, the things geocachers go through to get a cache!! LOL!! Glad you are OK, Dhaulighiri.  My prescription glasses have been stepped on, twisted, flipped off my face and thrown about 15 feet.  I have atleast a dozen sunglasses lost in all sorts of places, some have made it back to me!! LOL!!  We may be safe, but we never know when the *grabby roots and thorns* are gonna get us!! 

#13 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I was caching the other day and every one of them was in the center of a large cedar.  I had to be very careful of my eyes.  Looking at the post above, I feel I endangered my labrador.  I should get him some safety glasses!  :2funny:

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

A hat with a brim really helps to let you know when a branch is nearby but that's assuming you are wearing it correctly.

• georeyna likes this
Posted Image

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Kenny, you probably remember that I ended up in the emergency room back in December for the same thing (thanks to Baytown Bert siccing the Goatman on me), and my wife poked a hole in her eye on our trip to Waco a month prior to that. And she did it on my 3,000th cache. What a party pooper! :coolsmiley:

I was actually thinking just today again about wearing safety glasses when I cache. I caught a thorny branch in the face while riding my bike out to get the "Wrong Coordinates" cache for my D/T grid. Thankfully, it only snagged my forehead. Bushwhacking is bad enough, but since I ride my mountain bike through very heavy terrain to get caches, I add another dimension of risk to myself. One would think that the safety manager (which is one of my roles at work) would use his personal protective equipment (PPE) more often in his personal life....especially since he gets it for free! I guess it's one of those "who cuts the barber's hair" things....

I hope you heal up quick. You didn't even mention it when we talked on the phone today!

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

A hat with a brim really helps to let you know when a branch is nearby but that's assuming you are wearing it correctly.

My trusty hat also prevented me from piercing my ears - among other things - while fly-fishing all my life. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users