83 replies to this topic

#61 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

I was looking over a friends shoulder on a cloudy day at a 62sc (can not recall the exact model)  The screen appeared to be much brighter than my Oregon 450.

I am pretty sure they had the back light off. 

On my 62 the back-light comes on and stays on for a few seconds anytime you press a key.

Edited by Thot, 09 December 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#62 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Or Montana :-)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#63 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

That's my main beef with the 62s -- the dark screen.  On the windshield mount, I need the backlight up all the way to see it in almost all conditions.  Why it can't have a bright screen like the 60, I'll never understand.

I agree the 60 screen is the gold standard day or night.  Just want something that can hold the geocache information.

Oregon 650 mentioned two times in a row.  O0

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#64 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Montana now mentioned twice, too. :D

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#65 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Both the 650 and Montana are very good, possibly sharing the technology.

• TexasWriter likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#66 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Both the 650 and Montana are very good, possibly sharing the technology.

The only real difference is how much of a handfull do you pack.
  • KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#67 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

I use the POI loader to put a large number of caches on the SD card.  On my 60csx that didn't store cache data that worked fine.  But, since getting the 62 I now use it to store my cache data.  The problem is the POI loaded caches don't have the cache data.  Is there a way to add gobs of caches to the SD card and have the cache data included?

Yes, I know I'm repeating this question but no one responded before.

Edited by Thot, 13 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#68 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

If by "gobs" you mean 3,000 or 4,000 or so, you can just put the GPX file containing such on the SD card -- BUT it needs to be in a folder called "GPX" that is a subfolder of a folder called "GARMIN".  The 62S can only deal with 5,000 caches at a time (and sometimes has issues with numbers approaching that), so the only thing gained by putting them on the SD card as opposed to loading them into the Garmin's memory is that you could swap out SD cards and get a new set of caches into the device.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#69 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

It's more than 5000

#70 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

No se.  Buy an Oregon 650?

Edited by HoustonControl, 13 January 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#71 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Montana holds 12,000 caches.

#72 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Montana holds 12,000 caches.

Yes, I have one of those too.  I mentioned the Oregon because it holds *unlimited caches.

#73 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Technically you can load an unlimited number of waypoints into 62s via combined internal and external memory. And, GSAK will allow you to send a gob of caches to the 62s as waypoints instead of geocaches by checking the box during the send operation or during export.

The problem is that you lose the ability to use the geocache profile features of the 62s and much cache data too, such as logs and DT etc.

Waypoints and poi are just your basic coords, name, description and not nearly as useful for geocaching. I tend to use waypoints to display my finds so I can preserve my 5k geocache count on the 62s.

• Thot likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#74 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  I'm sure now I cannot do what I hoped to do.

#75 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Heees Baaaak

I've never been able to figure out how to make child waypoints work, either on my 60 or the new 62.  I never spent much time at it because I didn't much care.  But, now I want to add a child waypoint to a single cache.  As usual it has baffled me.

Below you see my export setup.  I understand the checked box beside Yes to mean "include child points"  I understand the radio button called "only flagged" to mean only include child points that have the checkbox for the child point checked.  But when I send them to the GPSr, either they aren't there or I don't know what they're supposed to look like so I don't recognize them.

The child point is nearer the target cache than any other cache.  But, when I go to the cache that's supposed to have the child point the closest waypoints are only other caches, not the child point. 

So, how do it get GSAK to send them or how do I find them on the 62?  As I said above, I've tried to figure this out probably a half dozen times, but to no avail. 

#76 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Heees Baaaak

I've never been able to figure out how to make child waypoints work, either on my 60 or the new 62.  I never spent much time at it because I didn't much care.  But, now I want to add a child waypoint to a single cache.  As usual it has baffled me.

Below you see my export setup.  I understand the checked box beside Yes to mean "include child points" (Not 'additional child points,' what ever that might mean.  Additional to what other child points?). I understand the radio button called "only flagged" to mean only include child points that have the checkbox for the child point checked. 

But when I send them to the GPSr, either they aren't there or I don't know what they're supposed to look like so I don't recognize them.

The child point is nearer the target cache than any other cache.  But, when I go to the cache that's supposed to have the child point the closest waypoints are only other caches, not the child point. 

So, how do it get GSAK to send them or how do I find them on the 62?  As I said above, I've tried to figure this out probably a half dozen times, but to no avail. 

Attached Files

#77 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

On all my garmin GPS's (all but a 62) you have to go to the waypoints menu to see child waypoints not the geocache menu item.

Posted Image

#78 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

Amazing.  You're right, it's there.  How did you ever think to look there?

I guess this means there's a major difference between a 62 and a 62s?

#79 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

Garmin GPS's treat geocaches and waypoints as two different beasts. Instead of exporting the child waypoints as a GPX is to export them as a POI file and install those in the Garmin/POI directory (on SD or main memory). Then as you zoom in on a cache you should be able to see them on the map like any other POI.

To do that you will need the Garmin POILoader program to convert the gpx file to a .gpi (poi) file. TO make this much easier you should use the following gsak macro to do all of your file building. It is a very powerful macro.

The macro is here - http://gsak.net/boar...40

My comment about "all but a 62" meant I dont have any of the 62 series GPS'r but will bet they are all the same. My 60csx operates like that and it is the model used to build the 62 from.

Just a thought

Edited by ClanStan, 19 January 2014 - 06:26 AM.

Posted Image

#80 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

I just got a 62s after my 76csx died.  I used "send waypoints" in GSAK to load 450 caches to it.  GSAK said they loaded successfully but the unit says no Geocaches found.  I believe someone discussed this earlier in this thread but I didn't understand the answer.  Shouldn't they transfer from GSAK to unit the same way as they did on the 76?  Am I not looking in the right place on the unit?  I went to "Main Menu", "Geocaches".  They weren't in the POI folder either.  WTH?

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users