#41 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

So you are loading your caches as Points of Interest?  I'm not familiar with POI loader...

Yeah, I don't know of any way to filter caches once they are on the unit.  They all show up in en masse no matter if you put them in the Garmin/GPX file on the unit or on the SD card.  You're right, TW, putting them on the SD card doesn't add to the total number the GPSr will accept, so I guess there's no real reason to do it that way.

I create my GPX file with the radio button "Force Use of Geocache Symbols Only" selected and I get actual geocache symbols on my map.  Regular caches are green boxes, mystery caches are blue question marks, etc.  I used Map Source to create the GPX file for benchmarks so they show up as the old-style brown treasure chest, ala the one the cursor is pointing to on the attached screenshot.

Attached File  62s.jpg   449.14KB   5 downloads

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#42 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

So you are loading your caches as Points of Interest?  I'm not familiar with POI loader...

Yes, I guess you could load a gazillion caches with a thousand logs each, this way.

#43 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

My 62S bricked this morning, right as I was heading out the door to go caching.  Well, it wouldn't boot up and trying a hard reset didn't work either.  After I got home, I did some searching online and found This Site:  For the record, Recovery Method #1 worked to get the unit connected back to the computer (which it wouldn't do the "normal" way), but deleting all the GPX files, etc, didn't help matters any. 

I had already tried Recovery Method #3, which was the aforementioned "hard reset".

I ended up using Recovery Method #2, which worked like a charm.

I didn't try Recovery Method #4.

On the bright side, I got some practice caching with the Montana today!  There's a bit of a learning curve there switching it back and forth from Nuvi auto-driving mode to handheld geocaching mode.

• KeyResults, cajunabear, 2katz and 1 other like this

#44 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

My 62S bricked this morning, right as I was heading out the door to go caching.  Well, it wouldn't boot up and trying a hard reset didn't work either.  After I got home, I did some searching online and found This Site:  For the record, Recovery Method #1 worked to get the unit connected back to the computer (which it wouldn't do the "normal" way), but deleting all the GPX files, etc, didn't help matters any. 

I had already tried Recovery Method #3, which was the aforementioned "hard reset".

I ended up using Recovery Method #2, which worked like a charm.

I didn't try Recovery Method #4.

On the bright side, I got some practice caching with the Montana today!  There's a bit of a learning curve there switching it back and forth from Nuvi auto-driving mode to handheld geocaching mode.

Montana rocks! :)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#45 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Montana rocks! :)

When I got out of the truck, I had to switch the profile to Geocaching, so it wouldn't try to route on a road. But every time I put it back in the car cradle, it switched back to some profile called "Brian2". I gotta fix that!

#46 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Brian2 rocks! :)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#47 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

FWIW, two weeks ago my three month old 62s began blanking the map screen for a second or two every few seconds.  Occasionally it wouldn't come back for a minute or so.  Garmin has agreed to replace it.

#48 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Since this seems to be the generic 62s thread I'll ask my question here.

My 60cs didn't hold cache data (description, hints, logs) so I used my Nuvi to carry that stuff.  But I've begun using the 62's cache data feature for this.  I keep less frequently used caches and benchmarks on the SD card.  As a result of a question from HC I discovered the caches on the SD card don't show cache data like those loaded directly into the device.  Is there a way to view the cache data with the caches on the SD card and if so, how.  I assume the data is there because I use the same files to load it onto the card as the Nuvi, and it's in the Nuvi. 

#49 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I assume you using GSAK to load them directly to the Garmin using the GPS > Send Waypoints command? When you do that, it creates a file called Geocaches.GPX in the Garmin\GPX file on the device. I usually created my GPX file using the File > Export > GPX/LOC File command and save it elsewhere on my computer. I tend to have separate GPX files for puzzles, benchmarks, and everything else. Then I copy and paste the wanted GPX file into the device in the Garmin\GPX folder.

To get them to show up the same way on the SD card, you just need to create a Garmin folder with a GPX subfolder and stick the GPX file in there.

Edited by HoustonControl, 04 December 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#50 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

I assume you using GSAK to load them directly to the Garmin using the GPS > Send Waypoints command? When you do that, it creates a file called Geocaches.GPX in the Garmin\GPX file on the device. I usually created my GPX file using the File > Export > GPX/LOC File command and save it elsewhere on my computer.

Both ways work and I've done it both ways.

To get them to show up the same way on the SD card, you just need to create a Garmin folder with a GPX subfolder and stick the GPX file in there.

I'm not sure where you mean.  On the 62s there is a Garmin folder with a gpx subfolder.  When I put the gpx files there they are in Geocaches and are loaded into the 62s.  I don't know where the SD card is.  Here's a screen capture of the items in the Garmin folder on my unit:

Garmin-Folder.jpg

#51 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

You can can always plug the SD card into your computer separately, using an adapter.  However, when I plug a Garmin containing an SD card into the USB port, the SD card shows up on the computer as a separate external drive:

ec0e98a3-91fc-481c-a030-485ec2d7e893.jpg

For those wondering, this whole conversation got started because I mentioned something offline about loading GPX files onto several micro SD cards to switch out as needed if going on a long trip, say, and wanting to have access to several thousand caches in each of several locations -- without having to reconnect the Garmin 62S to a computer to unload and reload GPX files.  I've never actually tried this but wondered if it would work.

You probably couldn't do it if you had maps or any other pertinent data on the SD card.

#52 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Amazing.  It works but I would never have figured that out.  Because my card reader can read a virtually infinite number of different cards I have about 7 or 8 "Removable disks" that are just designated by letters (E:, F:, G:, H,: I: etc.) and nothing else.  I would never notice if a new one was added.  Apparently it was and the SD card is there.

How in the world did you tumble to that?  Is it because you have no other "Removable disks?"

#53 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

How in the world did you tumble to that?  Is it because you have no other "Removable disks?"

I don't really remember.  I think I had an SD card with an error once and when I would plug in the Garmin, it would ask me if I wanted to scan and fix the drive....something like that.  My new computer has it's own built in card readers, so I don't show all those removeable disks anymore, but I know what you're talking about.

#54 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Couple things:

1) just remember the sum total of all caches contained in all geocache gpx files ( xD card + internal ) cannot exceed 5000 or wonky things happen.

2) not all gpx files are cache data, some gpx files are tracks, routes, child waypoints, etc. Those do NOT count against your 5k max cache total as they are considered waypoints which are limited only by memory on the 62s. I believe this is a fundamental change from the 60cx series.

3) the 62s is picky about the xD card sometimes. Newer class 10 speeds in sizes over 4 GBytes get wonky, unpredictable, and are wasted since the 62s doesn't utilize it. Slower and smaller work great! Class 4, 4-8GB are perfect! This is true for the 450 too.

4) be sure to power off before swapping xD cards! Then, it's a good idea to cycle power once after removal to flush the internal cache, I have found. This seemingly cumbersome ritual will reward you with consistent hassle free behavior.

5) personally, I recommend having ALL geocaches on xD card(s) only, leaving internal to maps, map overlays, and waypoints.

6) that little metal door thingy for retaining the xD card is delicate! Easy does it. It's also easy to lose a tiny chip when swapping batteries too!

HTH,

K

Edited by KeyResults, 05 December 2013 - 12:31 AM.

• Baytown Bert and cajunabear like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#55 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Seriously thinking on my next GPSr and highly considering the 62 series.  I love my Oregon 450, but have a terrible time reading it without a backlight and that usually results in needing two sets of batteries for a day.  Thanks to all posting on this thread.  It helps us lurkers find out more.

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#56 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

What KeyResults said.  I use the Oregon 650 now, but some of it still applies.

TXGA SETX Representative

#57 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Seriously thinking on my next GPSr and highly considering the 62 series.  I love my Oregon 450, but have a terrible time reading it without a backlight and that usually results in needing two sets of batteries for a day.  Thanks to all posting on this thread.  It helps us lurkers find out more.

I guess you saw where I commented on the 62s being harder to see read than my 60csx.  If it weren't for the fact that the 62 carries cache data I'd probably go back to the 60.  I need the backlight a lot too

Edited by Thot, 08 December 2013 - 07:17 PM.

• cajunabear likes this

#58 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

That's my main beef with the 62s -- the dark screen.  On the windshield mount, I need the backlight up all the way to see it in almost all conditions.  Why it can't have a bright screen like the 60, I'll never understand.

I have read that the Oregon 650 is "enhanced with reflective display technology, which uses external light sources like sunlight in conjunction with the 650’s LED backlighting to increase screen brightness , even in shaded areas".  I'd be curious to see how bright it is compared to my 60 and 62s.

• cajunabear likes this

#59 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Thanks Thot & HC

I was looking over a friends shoulder on a cloudy day at a 62sc (can not recall the exact model)

It was a cloudy weekend just before Thanksgiving.  The screen appeared to be much brighter than my Oregon 450.

I am pretty sure they had the back light off.  But your comments make me pause.  I certainly will check again.

I have a 60CSX that I use as a backup now but prefer to have my Oregon 450 as I  can carry information about the Geocache.

Still searching for the unit that provides good visibility in a bright environment.

Casting the net wider and thanks for the heads up.

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#60 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

Oregon 650

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users