#21 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well I'll be.....
I just loaded my entire unfound Houston GSAK database of ~3500 caches.
Whoo-hoo!

I had to think about that for a second. Thats pretty incredible.

We actually have more than 3500 unfound caches in Houston, but that's all that he had loaded in his GSAK database after certain filters. 

That's gets us out around 60 miles from home.  That's far enough.

Many years ago, we had our unfound Houston caches down to around 100 caches.   Then someone put out some LPC's and we've never caught up, since.  

Posted Image

#22 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hmm, Just saw that 5.00 is out for the 62s.  Anybody installed it yet?

Posted Image

#23 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hmm, Just saw that 5.00 is out for the 62s.  Anybody installed it yet?

Yes, I have.  I did it trying to get rid of the flakyness of my new unit.  I can't tell it did anything.

Edited by Thot, 24 August 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#24 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

2katz and KeyResults have updated 62s to 5.0 from 4.9. One nice thing for me is that my compass calibration again works as it should. I was having troubles with it ever since the last update Otherwise, it looks pretty much the same unless you are into the "Adventure" features. None of the other bugs officially mentioned affected me or 2katz. .
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#25 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

2katz and KeyResults have updated 62s to 5.0 from 4.9.

One nice thing for me is that my compass calibration again works as it should. I was having troubles with it ever since the last update

Otherwise, it looks pretty much the same unless you are into the "Adventure" features.

None of the other bugs officially mentioned affected me or 2katz.

Hopefully that solves my problem. Damn thing doesn't know it's north end from its south end. Keeps sending me in circles around a cache. Maybe if its calibrated...
Posted Image

#26 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

Like KeyResults and 2katz, I've been loading about 4,500 caches on my 62S for quite some time with no real issues. I have noted, however, that if I load less than that it performs just a smidgen better with faster response times. Makes sense though, because more data means more of a footprint, which means more processing for the unit and slightly reduced performance/response times.

I just bought a Montana a few months ago and I'm using it to navigate on-road via a friction-mounted cradle on the dash. I have it set so that it's in Automobile mode with street maps when on the cradle, and upon ejecting from the cradle it switches to my custom profile (which is like the Geocaching profile only more customized to my preferences). The Montana holds 12,000 geocaches. Yes, I typed that correctly....12,000 caches. There is a bit of misconception about the number of caches it will hold because they upsized the capability just before they released it (from what I understand they originally advertised a capability of 7,000, but I could be wrong). I can guarantee you that it holds over 10,000 because it's holding over that many right now. You see, I have delusions of grandeur of catching up to Muddy Buddies in find count someday, so I sometimes daydream of getting 300 - 400 caches a day. :)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#27 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

I loaded about 3000 caches in my 62s for the trip to Seattle with no issues. Other than a bit of a learning curve when I first got it, I love it -- but then again, I haven't tried changing the order of selections in the menu.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#28 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

After a little over two months using the 62s I wish I'd gotten another 60cx.  I find the screen harder to read/see.  But, the issue that's driving me crazy is waypoint averaging.  To do waypoint averaging on the 60 you press Mark (logical), then toggle over to averaging, click Enter and wait for the averaging, click Enter again, then toggle back to OK and press Enter. (6 steps)

On the 62 you press Menu (not the logical Mark button), then press Menu a second time (??) then toggle to Waypoint Averaging, then press Enter, then (and here's the mindless part) toggle up to "Create Waypoint" (as if you didn't go to this screen to create a waypoint), press Enter and wait for the averaging, then press Enter, then Press Enter again.  (8 steps)  And,  you damn well better toggle up to Create Waypoint if you know what's good for you.

The maddening aspect of this is that it defaults to writing over the last location you saved without warning you you're about to obliterate the coordinates for the location you saved last week, yesterday or an hour ago -- it does it without a peep.   You only have to waste coordinates you can no longer replace a couple of times until want to throw this thing in the nearby lake. 

Why o why doesn't it default to creating a new waypoint?  It makes no sense at all to default to throwing older waypoints away.  Even if you assume the majority of people don't care about the previously averaged one, which I very seriously doubt, (they went to all the trouble to do averaging because it's so much fun?), but even so they'd still have the new one and can erase the old one if they want, or let them toggle to the one they don't want to destroy it rather than the other way round.

I called Garmin about this and the rep repeatedly insisted "You don't need to do averaging" and kept trying to teach me how to use the Mark button.  I asked him "Why is this feature included on the device if it's unnecessary?"  He replied, "It's only for important coordinates."   "So the coordinates I record aren't important?", I asked.  At this point he said in a snotty tone, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" indicating he was going to hang up.

I never thought the toggling around on the 60's Mark screen was particularly friendly but at least it didn't wipe out the earlier records when you made new ones.

Edited by Thot, 25 October 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#29 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Click "Mark", THEN hit the menu button and select Average Location -- that will default to creating a new waypoint.  Hit enter again to Start Averaging (select "YES" on the next screen -- not sure why it exists).  When you are done, hit Enter to save and Enter twice more.  It should always save it as a new waypoint, as long as you do all the right amount of "Enters" at the end.  Yes, not nearly as intuitive as the 60, but I've never had it write over previously saved waypoints.

Often, I just go to the satellite screen and if it shows at least 6' accuracy, then I just mark and save without averaging.  That seems to be just as good if not better than averaged coords.

Edited by HoustonControl, 25 October 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#30 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Thanks very much. How did you ever discover that was there?

It's exactly why I called Garmin -- to find out if there was another way.  The rep said there was no other way.  That's why he began to insist I didn't require averaging.

#31 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I just stumbled upon it one day.  Of course, I never really knew about the other method until you just showed it to me. :laugh:

I have trouble seeing the screen on my 62 also, especially when it's in the windshield mount.  I have to use the backlight a lot.  It's even worse if I'm wearing sunglasses.  I don't know why it can't have the same bright screen as the 60.

But I do love having the cache descriptions, hints and logs with me, the ability to upload field notes from the unit after a day of caching and the ability to share caches wirelessly with other cachers -- so I guess there has to be trade-offs with everything.

#32 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have not been able to figure out how to load gpx files and read descriptions and logs after doing so.  I've been successful in loading them with POI loader and can find them (in various places) on the device and can navigate to them.  But, I haven't figured out how to install them so I know where they are, have them in named folders (e.g.  Houston, Beaumont, Dallas, etc) and view the descriptions and logs reliably (they seem to have cache data sometimes and not other times).  That is, I'm using the 62 like I used the 60, except I knew where I put the data and where to find it on the 60 and this seems to be random on the 62.

I found this thread on how to load gpx files but it's long in the tooth and every person seemed to be doing it in a different way. 

I found a tutorial on YouTube but it's for downloading the caches one at a time from GC using the direct download feature.

The manual doesn't seem to mention loading gpx files (in searching the manual I was unable to find the characters 'gpx' at all) much less how to access the description and logs once loaded.

Is there a straightforward explanation anywhere on how to load the files and then read the descriptions and logs?

Edited to add:

I should add, I also load caches straight out of GSAK.  Sometimes these seem to go into Geocaches, other times into Waypoints??

Edited by Thot, 26 October 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#33 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Everyone probably does it differently, but I export a GPX file from GSAK (usually saving it on my computer first), and put it in the folder "Garmin GPSMap 62s (L:) Garmin/GPX"  If you have a micro SD card in the device and it shows up as another drive when you plug the GPS into the computer, created a folder called Garmin on it with a subfolder GPX and you can place GPX files in there as well.

Attached File  CaptureGPX.JPG   50.45KB   4 downloads

#34 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

For whatever it's worth, I noticed a big degradation in the accuracy of the waypoint averaging a few updates ago, so I changed to a faster, more reliable method of marking my coordinates for those "important" coordinates (like cache placement....not for marking a general spot like a trail divergence point, where I left my bike when I started the 400-foot bushwhack, etc.). When I’m getting coords for a hide, I use the Mark button, then go into the Waypoint Manager (which is sorted to show nearest waypoints instead of alphabetical sort), and watch the coords to see if they go up/down significantly. After things have settled out (usually just a few seconds), if I need to adjust the coords, I just select the new WP I’ve created, hit the Menu button, and choose Reposition Here from the menu. Works like a champ for me every time. Of course, I like to come home and verify the accuracy on Google Earth if it’s feasible/practical, but the marking/repositioning is soooo much faster and easier than the Waypoint Averaging in my experience.

On the SD card, putting caches on the card can cause some funky behavior from the 62 in my experience. I only use the SD card slot for map add-ons. Also, the 62 will only hold 5,000 total caches no matter where you put them (if  you have 2,500 on the unit and 2,500 on the SD card, you’re still capped out).

As far as putting the .gpx files on the 62, the GPS > Send Waypoints feature in GSAK works perfect. Of course,  you need to pay attention to what’s checked and unchecked on the dialog box before clicking the Send button (I also check the “Clear GPS before sending” checkbox and select the Geocaches radio button as the type of waypoint I want to send). It’s fast and easy to me, but it doesn’t play nicely with SD cards because the card keeps its old Geocaches.gpx file while the same file on the unit is overwritten with the new file being sent to it.

#35 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Everyone probably does it differently, but I export a GPX file from GSAK (usually saving it on my computer first), and put it in the folder "Garmin GPSMap 62s (L:) Garmin/GPX"  If you have a micro SD card in the device and it shows up as another drive when you plug the GPS into the computer, created a folder called Garmin on it with a subfolder GPX and you can place GPX files in there as well.

That seems to work.  If I put two gpx files in Garmin GPSMap 62s\Garmin\GPX it appears to be loading the data from both into the 62s' entry Geocaches.  This is probably good enough but I haven't yet found a way to see the data from the two gpx files separately.    For example, I added one file named Geocaches and another named Benchmarks.  The entries from both come out mixed under 62s' entry Geocaches, and I haven't yet figured out a way to look at each group separately.  But, for now I can live with that. 

I see you do the same thing.  Do you know how to see the data from your  Houston caches and Benchmarks separately?

Thanks again.

#36 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

On the SD card, putting caches on the card can cause some funky behavior from the 62 in my experience. I only use the SD card slot for map add-ons. Also, the 62 will only hold 5,000 total caches no matter where you put them (if  you have 2,500 on the unit and 2,500 on the SD card, you’re still capped out). 

The 60 would not hold large amounts of caches so I put them on the SD card and I've continued the practice since changing to the 62 because I was all set up to do it, it works and I didn't want to learn a new way..  I use a macro to create the gpx files but I think you can just use ordinary gpx files.  Put the files in one folder then run POI loader and point it at that folder.  It will find your gadget and add all the files to the SD card.  On the 62s menu look under Extras to find the files loaded this way. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  2628.jpg   10.01KB   1 downloads

Edited by Thot, 26 October 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#37 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't have a 62 but I believe that it works the same as the Dakota/Oregon/Montana lines. I use GASK, but you can save a lot of steps by just getting unzipped pocket queries (add query name to file name) and copy them to the units Garmin/GPX directory. This allows you to keep track of various areas, especially useful when traveling, as you can use any computer to get email and transfer.

#38 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

The 60 would not hold large amounts of caches so I put them on the SD card and I've continued the practice since changing to the 62 because I was all set up to do it, it works and I didn't want to learn a new way..  I use a macro to create the gpx files but I think you can just use ordinary gpx files.  Put the files in one folder then run POI loader and point it at that folder.  It will find your gadget and add all the files to the SD card.  On the 62s menu look under Extras to find the files loaded this way. 

I just haven't found a need for the segregation since I can sort/filter by cache types, D/T, etc. right on the Garmin. That, and I have a great phone app that does this for me as well. I try to keep the front-end work to a minimum and stay lean and mean since I go long distances on short notice. I also keep my Montana loaded up, and it holds 12,000 caches, so I have all the caches and sortability I could ever want. Different needs require different ways of meeting the need, I reckon.

#39 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I don't have a 62 but I believe that it works the same as the Dakota/Oregon/Montana lines. I use GASK, but you can save a lot of steps by just getting unzipped pocket queries (add query name to file name) and copy them to the units Garmin/GPX directory. This allows you to keep track of various areas, especially useful when traveling, as you can use any computer to get email and transfer.

That's similar to another approach I use, but I do it through my Geocaching Live app on my Windows Phone. It sucks the PQ's right in, and I can save them for offline access (like if I'm going to be out of cell service area). Similar but different...

#40 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

The reason I wouldn't do it that way is because I like lots of logs and I accumulate them in GSAK, so the only way to load all the logs is to same these collections out of GSAK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users