78 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Here's a small portfolio of some decent videos I found by accident on YouTube that may help some folks. 

There's 23 bite sized version broken up by topic as of this moment. 

K

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

I don't know if this is the only 62s thread but I'll ask here.

I just got a new 62s and the software is buggy.  In the feature where you can change the order of selections in a menu I've had several problems.  Sometimes when I'm moving an item it will stop moving while I'm stepping it to a new location.  While moving Waypoints it simply disappeared and never came back.  Sometimes when you get an item where  you want it in the list and hit enter it goes somewhere else -- sometime back where it was and other times some random location. 

Who else has a 62s and have they had this problem?

#3 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure what to make of the absence of replies.  Is it that I'm the only one here to own a 62s or is it that I  have BO?

#4 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

I haven't had those problems. My first suggestion is to update the firmware to the latest possible.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#5 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I concur. Be sure you have latest updates using webupdater. 

I have found many bugs that have to do with conflicts in profiles that emerge when you try to customize the GPSr menus, displays, and other features. I gave up trying to report these to Garmin, as they really just don't seem to care.

My advice is to be sure to copy your factory profiles and keep them in a safe place. Then modify things like displayable menus, and dashboard settings carefully noting any strange behavior you might induce after cycling power to the unit. You will find that some dashboard configurations simply don't work together very well, even though they should when the unit is in Geocaching mode for example. When you are updated to current revs. Reset the unit. Set your basic preferences like language, magnetic north, etc., Have clean maps, and geocaches/waypoints loaded. Then activate geocaching profile (copy). Try using it just like that and see if it's stable. Then, little by little alter the configuration to be your own, i.e. menus order, dashboard preferences by page type, map preferences dashboard, and so forth. But do the changes in a regimented way so that you can pin-point when a change causes instability or bad reaction so that you can undo that without regressing on all the other stuff. Seems like a hassle, but it is a sure thing. When you find a obvious bug, you can replicate, then maybe you can bug Garmin for awhile :)

Sometimes the old reset is a good thing and must be done periodically after updates, major map changes, or yanking it from computer before all files were properly dismounted. I have found that always using the little icon in the lower right corner of windows pc to eject the gpsr from usb connection significantly lowers the chances of improperly closed files. I do this after every GSAK session loading fresh caches into unit.

Pay close attention to capacities too. If the sum total of caches in all gpx files found in all memory exceeds 5000 the unit will burp.

There are numerous quirks I have found that most people are probably unaware of because, well, I tend to poke and prod a lot. I'm sure Garmin tech support started recognizing my phone number on caller id and drew straws to see who would have to take the call from the whacko in TX again! I just hate it when stuff doesn't work the way it should or as claimed. The most amazing thing is how much this 62s is capable of that is very poorly documented or undocumented altogether.

I wore out the display of my first unit after a few years. Garmin sent me a refurb for about a 100 bucks. The refurb doesn't calibrate nearly as easily or quickly as my original. The buttons better on the replacement however. I still believe the 62s has the best radio of all their consumer handhelds, so good they used it in the Montana and their latest Montera units. It really shines in heavy canopy. The top of the line smart phones are catching up very fast however in my experience.

Edited by KeyResults, 21 August 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#6 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I haven't had those problems. My first suggestion is to update the firmware to the latest possible.

That was kind of an interesting adventure.  I had used Basecamp earlier to check for updates and it said I had the latest version of the firmware.  But, based on KeyResults suggestion I downloaded and installed Webupdater.  Interesting it had neon lights terrifying warnings to not update from version 3.8 without jumping through a zillion hoops, but didn't tell me what version I had.  In contrast to Basecamp, Webupdater It said I needed to update to version 5, so I did.

I'm afraid to jack with my  settings now, given the erratic way it behaved earlier.  I've already lost Waypoints which I used almost exclusively with the 60CS and I don't want to lose more choices.

#7 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Sometimes the old reset is a good thing and must be done periodically after updates, major map changes,

Do you mean I have to do that whole painful setup exercise over again periodically?

Pay close attention to capacities too. If the sum total of caches in all gpx files found in all memory exceeds 5000 the unit will burp.

I thought I read where it only held 2000 caches?   Or, are you including the caches stored on the SD card.  Surely not. If so, I losing good feelings about this device every moment.  Maybe I didn't want people to answer my post afterall :)

Edited by Thot, 21 August 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

If you don't have Gamin Express, download that.  It is way easier to back up and check for updates.

Posted Image

#9 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

If you don't have Gamin Express, download that.  It is way easier to back up and check for updates.

I have Basecamp and Webupdater.  How damn many updater tools does Garmin have?  And, do any of them work right?

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

62s capacity is 5000 geocaches. Unlimited waypoints. Geocaches are read only. Waypoints may be added and deleted on the unit. Geocaches are much richer data than waypoints and include logs, attributes, d/t, hints, descriptions, etc. You can only use or see nav to geocaches when the unit is in geocaching mode, set via the geocaching profile. I didn't mean to turn you off or shake your confidence in this unit. It is an outstanding GPSr, the best for the money in the consumer push button models. I like to do things as directly as possible which is why I use webupdater. If you prefer basecamp or express those will work too. They are actually going to call webupdater anyway, but you are shielded from the low tech interface.

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

One more thot: If you are using the external microSD memory slot for additional map or waypoint capacity, just know that it must be small and slow by current camera standards. 4gb class 4 is excellent. Bigger and faster ie 16gb class 10 will give you lots of grief if it boots at all. And remember the max sum total of all geocaches allowed is 5000.

#12 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I strongly recommend attending an event with other 62s users and going through the unit configurations together if that's possible.

#13 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

For some reason I was thinking the 62s had a 2000 geocache limit.

Was this changed with a firmware upgrade?

Posted Image

#14 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Nope always been 5k. The 60cs is 2000 I believe. I load 5000 caches every caching session with no secondary memory card. Been doing this for a couple years.

#15 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

Nope always been 5k. The 60cs is 2000 I believe. I load 5000 caches every caching session with no secondary memory card. Been doing this for a couple years.

You should know, but the Garmin rep told me it was 2000 and this page says "Waypoints/favorites/locations:2000"

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

My only explanation for the erroneous information you are getting is that the GPSMAP 62s treats geocaches as a special and different type of waypoint. It can only be added or removed with a usb cable and a computer.

In other words, a geocache  is NOT the same thing as a Waypoint on the 62s. It stores 5000 geocaches. That's a fact. I guarantee it. You can take that info to the bank.

All waypoints, geocaches and regular waypoints, like you'd take to mark a location, are all stored in GPX files, kind of like little databases. a geocache GPX is NOT the same as a Waypoint GPX. You can look at them with a text editor on your computer to see what I mean. For the record, Garmin has several types of GPX files including Track logs, Routes, etc.

Let me put it this way, 2katz and I cache routinely with 4500 caches in our 62s GPSr's - Our units always have that number of caches loaded for the area we are concentrating on. 

Edited by KeyResults, 22 August 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#17 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Well I'll be.....

I just loaded my entire unfound Houston GSAK database of ~3500 caches.  

Whoo-hoo!

• KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#18 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Indeed, the 62s holds 5,000 geocaches. Although, I generally make sure I don't max it and only load around 4,500.    

When speaking with the Gamin folks, you need to be specific when discussing 'geocaches' vs. 'waypoints' as these are two different items when relating to the unit capacity.

Posted Image

#19 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Well I'll be.....
Whoo-hoo!

I had to think about that for a second. Thats pretty incredible.

#20 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well I'll be.....
Whoo-hoo!

I had to think about that for a second. Thats pretty incredible.

We actually have more than 3500 unfound caches in Houston, but that's all that he had loaded in his GSAK database after certain filters. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users