#1 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Wow!

Now I've been caching since 2005 and so far haven't put a geocache out myself. As with all the great finds out here in the Houston area I really wanted to put one out myself.

I've got an idea for a puzzle (almost) worked out, but when I went online at geocaching.com today I was taken aback by all the things I needed to fill out in the 'application' form.

My question: Is there a given format/layout one could use to facilitate the creating process?

What's the best way to go at it? Create a word doc (or .PDF) and upload that? And I'd like to use some pictures too... but that seems to involve including URL's..... I kinda hoped they would accept my uploads :)

It's already been done about 2,000,000 times before, so I should be able to manage, but I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel all over again, so any help will be appreciated.

(Or should I just go easy on myself the first time and stick with a traditional cache instead of the mystery I want to put out..???)

Thanks!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

The new form pretty much walks you through it and is easier, in my opinion. Getting fancy with the formatting and adding pictures, etc, is a little trickier. It helps if you have a rudimentary knowledge of HTML. The nice thing is, you can created the cache page, but it won't mark it for PR to review until you indicate that it is ready to be found, so you can play around with it as long as you want. Once the cache page is created, you can upload the pictures to it, then add them to the body of the description. I have a little cheat sheet of html segments, saved as a txt file, that I can copy and paste into new cache submissions.

Probably the only difference between creating a traditional cache page and a mystery is that you have to add an additional waypoint to the mystery cache to indicate it's actual location. Make sure that the waypoint is only visible to you and to the reviewer. The listed (bogus) coords have to be within 2 miles of the final. Oh, and make sure the final isn't within 528 feet of an existing cache or waypoint of a multi.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

And make sure it isn't within 150 feet of any RR tracks. It doesn't hurt to review Prime Reviewer's write-up on how to be one of the "shiny, happy people" who follow the guidelines of cache submission. You can find it on his profile page.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#4 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Probably the only difference between creating a traditional cache page and a mystery is that you have to add an additional waypoint to the mystery cache to indicate it's actual location. Make sure that the waypoint is only visible to you and to the reviewer. The listed (bogus) coords have to be within 2 miles of the final. Oh, and make sure the final isn't within 528 feet of an existing cache or waypoint of a multi.

And make sure it isn't withing 528' of some other puzzle's final location.  Good luck figuring that one out unless you've cleaned out all the puzzles in a 2 mile radius.

Posted Image

#5 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

And make sure it isn't within 150 feet of any RR tracks. It doesn't hurt to review Prime Reviewer's write-up on how to be one of the "shiny, happy people" who follow the guidelines of cache submission. You can find it on his profile page.

Then how come I keep finding caches up against a fence line of a rail road?  I can't tell you how many caches I've found up near RR tracks.

Posted Image

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks so far guys!

I think I've got the RR tracks & the distances figured out (although I might need to do some more checking on that) it was actually the step-by-step format of the Geocaching.com that had me spooked/worried. But if you say I can just start building it and it won't post it until I give the go-ahead I guess the best way is just trail-by-error!

Keep your eyes out for a new one popping up near the Montrose/Richmond/Sheperd/Westheimer area  :laugh: !

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#7 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

PR has been letting the 150 ft rule slide here lately. If you really want to mess with people find a disabled cache and put your new one 25 ft away.

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Then how come I keep finding caches up against a fence line of a rail road?  I can't tell you how many caches I've found up near RR tracks.

It seems to depend on when it was originally placed and published. There are lots of caches out there that do not conform to the current guidelines. Bogus puzzle coords have to be within 2 miles of the actual coords (and I can attest to them holding me to this...although I had a reason at the time) nowadays, but I just grabbed a puzzle final that was about 4 years old that was 16-1/2 miles from it's posted/bogus coords. And I've had similar finds as you regarding RR tracks. Also, proximity to schools is a hot button for PR. A former cacher in the area archived one awhlie back, and I went and placed one that day within 2 feet of the previous (now archived) one, but PR wouldn't publish mine. He said (in a pretty snotty way) that it was on school property, which it was not. It was on church property adjacent to the school. Anyway, my point being that when they update the guidelines, they don't do retroactive enforcement, but rather grandfather previous hides in.

#9 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

PR has been letting the 150 ft rule slide here lately. If you really want to mess with people find a disabled cache and put your new one 25 ft away.

I've put them even closer than that a couple times. :coolsmiley:

#10 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

GC454VW - I got this one this weekend and it is about 20' from the tracks.  There is a fence in the way.  But still...

Posted Image

#11 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Right.... some blood, some sweat and some tears have been shed, some shouting has been done, cursing has occurred every now and then..... but I think I (correction)  we managed to create something akin to an actual mystery-cache. I can now only hope for a favorable review AND a cache that has a long life ahead!

Thanks y'all for helping out!!

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

I have a cache under some railroad tracks => http://coord.info/GC2DD2Z

But the tracks are no longer in service, so it's all good.

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

I won't let PR know, but hush money will be required. :stirpot:

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I won't let PR know, but hush money will be required. :stirpot:

Um, PR approved it in the first place.  He knew the tracks were abandoned because the Soda Tube Trials #2: Aim for the Water! (which predates my cache) is directly OVER the same tracks!  Hey, I wonder if the 150' rule doesn't apply if the cache is over 150' above the railroad?  :notme:

#15 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Consensus on this point is: maybe - and that's almost final - but depends heavily on factors we may never understand, and of which we'll certainly never know. We're speaking of hard, repeating, consistent, objective and unambiguous rules, rules as straightforward as nailing a slab of Jello to a tree. Consider unclear or ignored clarification to simple queries to be reminiscent of the "because I said so" parenting card. Oh, and let precedence never enter into the discussion. For history, history is irrelevant - it simply doesn't matter...it's in the past! Just "submit"! Submit and realize that hope is your best - and only - strategy. You need it when? (tongue firmly in cheek)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#16 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

GC454VW - I got this one this weekend and it is about 20' from the tracks.  There is a fence in the way.  But still...

I thought the reason for the rule was so people wouldn't get hit by the train, so if there's a fence between you and the train I would think that would make it OK.

Also, some of the wind may have been taken out of his sails when he had to approve my Choo Choo series where virtually every cache is withing 150 feet of tracks.

Edited by Thot, 27 February 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Yes.  But that's light rail.  ;)

Posted Image

#18 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes.  But that's light rail.  ;)

and cars still get hit by the light rail every so often.....

Posted Image

#19 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

And while getting run over that trail does not feel all that light.
Posted Image

#20 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Back to original topic - Congrats D on getting that puzzle published.  It looks to be a good one.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users