6 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Noticed a white horizontal line across my display a few outings ago, but didn't think much about it until it impaired my reading of some waypoint averaging results yesterday. The line appears to be a row of pixels that decided to retire on me. Unit works perfectly in all other respects. Anyway, after a short stint on the phone Garmin said my unit was out of Warranty (Jan 2011 is when they say it first acquired satellites - which I found very interesting - that they know that ).

However, they did offer a real decent discount on a replacement 62s which I accepted without hesitation. I've noticed that the later model GPSMAP 62s units seem to have much faster processors and snappier performance than mine. Before I ordered the unit I asked the guy if there was anything in the works for a replacement to the 62s (I like buttons) and he said no. He also said the 62s was still in production. Cool. Anyway, the process is painless as long as you are willing to go a couple weeks without your GPSr. i.e., you send em your defective unit, they send you a replacement in 10-14 days AFTER confirmed receipt of your broken one. After inquiring about an "expedited" option, they said they'd ding a Credit Card (I gave em TexasWriter's as I didn't think he'd mind ) for a full unit cost and ship the reconditioned model next day. Once they get my borken one, they'll refund about half the amount. That was a much better option for me. Thanks Garmin (and TW) !

The smartphone + 62s remain my tools!  

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Wow! I cannot imagine wearing out a GPSr. I did wearout the rubber buttons on a yellow eTrex but it still works.

Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

You can always borrow 2katz Oregon...

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

The Garmin servcie was great on my Oregon. I had an unlreated issue, but had the same credit card deposit ding for expedited service. I was leaving for a trip in 2 days and they FedExed it (I paid for that). Credit card was credited back for the deposit within 2 days of their receipt of the return unit. I can't complain at all!

But my unit had an 'issue'. I didn't wear it out. Wow. ;)

Posted Image

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I think jmcz has worn out 4 or 5 Garmins.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

I wore out a Magellan eXplorist 500 after a couple of years of extreme caching.  It just got tired and gave up.  

About that time, we upgraded to the Garmin 60csx.  We've been through several of those, and are now on the 62s.

Posted Image

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I wore out a Magellan eXplorist 500 after a couple of years of extreme caching.  It just got tired and gave up.  

About that time, we upgraded to the Garmin 60csx.  We've been through several of those, and are now on the 62s.

Yes but you got that one for free!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users