Photo

Suggestions for a cache event... for work?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djwhitey

djwhitey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I work for a software company that develops property/land management software with integrated GIS. Our company is planning a party (probably ~80 people including employees+families) for the spring (likely on a Saturday in late April/early May before gets too hot). I am thinking of doing a 2 or 3-hour cache event as sort of a team-building/mingling/competitive event. 

I am looking for a venue where I can hide 7-10 micro-small containers of varying degree of difficulty/evilness >:D 300-500ft apart (so folks don't have to *drive* to seek - this is important due to the next requirement). The venue needs to allow food and alcohol (company-brought or third-party-served would be OK). I will also need to ensure access with directions for a (free?) mobile (Apple and Android) app that can import GPX for seeking waypoints (support for OSM a bonus but not required). I plan to create the caches in GSAK & email a GPX file (rather than posting caches on GC) so folks do not have to register at GC.com to participate. I have a handheld GPS (old garmin eTrex legend) & could let a team borrow my phone if needed.

Venue
  • ? ? ?

Cache Types
  • 5 Micros (1 multi, 4 trad)
  • 3 Puzzles
  • 2 Smalls (1 multi, 1 trad)

Mobile Apps
Optimally free & supports GPX import/view waypoint details/seek-by-compass - logging not required as I will collect all containers/logs after time expires. Remember, I have to write easy-to-follow directions for the app from Install to Seek!

Android
  • c:geo
  • Free version of CacheSense
  • Neongeo
  • Locus
I use paid CacheSense as my primary app, but I loved c:geo for a LONG time. I've used Neongeo/Locus a bit, but they don't seem as good. 

Apple
Most apps do not appear to be free based on this article (2009), but what do you expect with Apple apps?  :angel:
  • What do you think of Looking4Cache Free? It seems like my best bet.
  • Would GPS Hiker do the trick? 
  • Geocaching with Geosphere ($7.99) ugh
Scoring
  1. FTF - 10pt * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
  2. STF - 7pt  * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
  3. TTF - 5pt  * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
  4. FND - 1pt  * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)

Suggestions for changing/adding?

Category | Prize (need a prize for EACH member of team, not 1 prize per team)
  1. Top Overall Score | ? ? ?
  2. Second Overall Score |  ?  ? ?
  3. ? ? ? | ? ? ?
  4. ? ? ? | ? ? ?
  5. ? ? ? | ? ? ?
Suggestions for prizes/categories? My boss said they will buy prizes, but I don't want to go overboard on the prize budget (for now I'll try to keep it under $500).

Cache Suggestions
Suggestions for the Puzzle or Multi Caches?
  • Require team to take a picture doing _____ to log find for a puzzle
  • Require team to use navigation skills for a multi (e.g. start point then bear XXX degrees for XXX distance, thence XXX degrees for XXX distance to final)
  • Letterbox hybrid in the small/trad?
  • Virtual/Earth-cache-esque location
  • CITO-themed puzzle (e.g. fill provided grocery bag with trash, take a pic, sign)
  • etc
Thanks to all in advance for taking the time to read & provide advice to an event novice! I will provide feedback/lessons learned after the event if anyone else is thinking of doing something like this for work.

Edited by djwhitey, 08 February 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Keep Calm and Cache On

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=e71fd53

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Cupping hands to mouth and yelling (2KATZ!!!)

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'll make it easy for you.  Hire Geoteaming to put on your event!

OK, probably not cost effective... but easy!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I had the administrator reserve a nice pavilion in Bear Creek park. It have covered picnic tables, a bathroom nearby and plenty of parking. It was located in a circular area.pavilion number 8 As you enter the park from the east on the main road it is one of the pavilions on the left. The only thing to keep in mind is if there is a hard rain it may flood. 

http://www.harriscou...Handout Map.pdf

I bought some GPS units Garmin Venture C's and we gave them away as prizes. I used a deck of cards and cut a card in half. I split the group into teams. As a team found a cache each member took a cut card. I put the remaining cards in a container and pulled out the winners from the container.

The hardest part is training them on using the GPS unit. I pre-programmed all the unts elimination some of the screen they didn't need.

Luckily one of the managers was a Geocacher so he helped me work with the teams if they got stuck or were confused on what to do.

Edited by SockPuppet, 08 February 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image

#5 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

When I run events, they are for 100's of people (conventions) and are never in Houston.   So, I'll check with my staff to see what they can suggest here in the Houston area for potential outdoor venues.  

Re: Bear Creek, I don't believe you are allowed to serve alcohol

To keep things easy, if it is a company event and you have a budget, once you find a location, I would suggest hiring a company for your geo event.  They provide the GPSr units, hide the temporary caches, have all rules set, suggest the number of prizes, tally the results.... a turn key service. You would just need to purchase the prizes.

If you need to do this on a nothing budget, that's another story and would need a bit of a think to pull this off properly.

Posted Image

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Re: Bear Creek, I don't believe you are allowed to serve alcohol

I missed that requirement. It does say no alcohol at the pavilions

Posted Image

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Looks like Herman Park allows alcohol.

Posted Image

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

...or on any Houston street late at night.  LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Our company put on an event where we had a geocaching like activity a while back.  If you need contact information for the group that ran the geocaching part, send me a message and I will find out.  They provided the GPS units that we used as teams to search for each cache.

You might check with the Farm & Ranch Club off Highway 6.  There is a lot of room for the geocaching and alcohol has been there when I have attended events out there.  It may be too far west but just a suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users