I work for a software company that develops property/land management software with integrated GIS. Our company is planning a party (probably ~80 people including employees+families) for the spring (likely on a Saturday in late April/early May before gets too hot). I am thinking of doing a 2 or 3-hour cache event as sort of a team-building/mingling/competitive event.
I am looking for a venue where I can hide 7-10 micro-small containers of varying degree of difficulty/evilness
300-500ft apart (so folks don't have to *drive* to seek - this is important due to the next requirement). The venue needs to allow food and alcohol (company-brought or third-party-served would be OK). I will also need to ensure access with directions for a (free?) mobile (Apple and Android) app that can import GPX for seeking waypoints (support for OSM a bonus but not required). I plan to create the caches in GSAK & email a GPX file (rather than posting caches on GC) so folks do not have to register at GC.com to participate. I have a handheld GPS (old garmin eTrex legend) & could let a team borrow my phone if needed.
- 5 Micros (1 multi, 4 trad)
- 3 Puzzles
- 2 Smalls (1 multi, 1 trad)
Optimally free & supports GPX import/view waypoint details/seek-by-compass - logging not required as I will collect all containers/logs after time expires. Remember, I have to write easy-to-follow directions for the app from Install to Seek!
- Free version of CacheSense
I use paid CacheSense as my primary app, but I loved c:geo for a LONG time. I've used Neongeo/Locus a bit, but they don't seem as good.
Most apps do not appear to be free based on this article
(2009), but what do you expect with Apple apps?
- What do you think of Looking4Cache Free? It seems like my best bet.
- Would GPS Hiker do the trick?
- Geocaching with Geosphere ($7.99) ugh
- FTF - 10pt * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
- STF - 7pt * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
- TTF - 5pt * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
- FND - 1pt * difficulty rating (+10 for puzzle type | +5 for multi type)
Suggestions for changing/adding?
Category | Prize (need a prize for EACH member of team, not 1 prize per team)
- Top Overall Score | ? ? ?
- Second Overall Score | ? ? ?
- ? ? ? | ? ? ?
- ? ? ? | ? ? ?
- ? ? ? | ? ? ?
Suggestions for prizes/categories? My boss said they will buy prizes, but I don't want to go overboard on the prize budget (for now I'll try to keep it under $500).
Suggestions for the Puzzle or Multi Caches?
- Require team to take a picture doing _____ to log find for a puzzle
- Require team to use navigation skills for a multi (e.g. start point then bear XXX degrees for XXX distance, thence XXX degrees for XXX distance to final)
- Letterbox hybrid in the small/trad?
- Virtual/Earth-cache-esque location
- CITO-themed puzzle (e.g. fill provided grocery bag with trash, take a pic, sign)
Thanks to all in advance for taking the time to read & provide advice to an event novice! I will provide feedback/lessons learned after the event if anyone else is thinking of doing something like this for work.
Edited by djwhitey, 08 February 2013 - 12:31 PM.