12 replies to this topic

#1 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

I was out in GBP and my Oregon 450 died.  It would turn on half way and then shut off.  I tried connecting it to my laptop but it did the same thing.  I brought it home and once again....I then read this wiki which will be helpful for many.  Step 1 did it for me.  I then was able to remove my GPX files and all was well.

http://garminoregon....m/Miscellaneous

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Recovery #1 -- Forced USB Mass Storage Mode (only available in release 2.85 and after)

If your Oregon freezes during the startup process (i.e. Loading Maps...), and you've just loaded new maps or new gpx files then it could be the new files which are causing the problem. This procedure forces the unit into USB Mass Storage mode so that you can delete (or rename) these files. Follow these steps to recover:
1 Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable
2 The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected
3 Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds
4 The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode
5 From your computer remove or rename any gpx, map files (.img or .kmz) files that were recently added
6 Unplug the Oregon and power on to see if this remedies the problem

During step 3) you should only see the Garmin banner for 30 seconds followed immediately by the graphic that shows a computer connected to a GPS. If you see any other text such as your custom banner, banners for loading maps, waypoints, etc then you have not held down the power button long enough.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Can anyone explain how these Oregon's access the Micro SD memory?

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Can anyone explain how these Oregon's access the Micro SD memory?

I've been wondering about the same. I have an Micro SD in my Oregon200 but have never been able to get files on it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#5 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Forcefully, but fairly. Seriously, I wonder if it is the same as w 62s?
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Under the batteries.  There is a slider that you have to move and then the SD card fits in and slide it back.

Edited by log dawgs, 27 May 2013 - 07:56 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

LD, its not an issue of 'where', it's more of an issue of the unit reading the card.
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#8 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

LD, its not an issue of 'where', it's more of an issue of the unit reading the card.

Exactly, LOL.

I have the micro SD in place, but just don't seem to be able to download maps or GPX to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I thought it filled its internal memory first and just put overflow there.  Where's that manual....

Posted Image

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

If it's like my Nuvi, I had to create a "Garmin" folder with a "GPX" subfolder on the SD card and then it would "see" GPX files I put in the subfolder.  When I updated maps I think it gave me the option of putting them on the SD card, but don't quote me on that.

Edited by HoustonControl, 27 May 2013 - 12:04 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I've had no luck with it, regardless of what I've tried.  Stupid Garmin engineers, or stupid me?

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

The older units are quite picky about which technology you use. Make sure it's slow, class 4, and lower capacity. Many devices have trouble w FUJI technology developed for faster hi capacity cameras. A 4 GB class 4 is perfect. The directory structure on the card must precisely match the "garmin" tree on the unit too. The unit supports USB 1.x but anything over 2.0 also tends to be a problem for many older Garmin units. Make sure your speedy laptop isn't overrunning the unit. Once you verify you can write and read through the unit connection, it's usually more productive to remove card and use a separate reader adapter to copy large maps and stuff. Don't forget to ensure that you don't exceed the capacity of your garmin for caches, waypoints, map points, etc! The unit will attempt to add all gpx of similar type ( tracks, geocaches, waypoints, routes, etc) from both internal and external storage. That messes things up when there's too much stuff. :) Hope this helps.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#13 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ok well......Just didn't read it that way. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users