Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Holy smokes!  This is amazing!

Edited by Baytown Bert, 24 January 2013 - 07:40 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

If only the google car could run GBP ;) Would help me plan for waders or no waders, Kevlar chaps or none required. Virtual PnGs using google street view? ;)
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#4 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Virtual PnGs using google street view? ;)

This has been done for years already.   That's why many ask for a picture.

I do like the feature on the cache page.  Nice addition.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

GBP and chaps is a no brainer in my book.  LOL  Danged thorns!

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

I was checking this morning to see if there were any unfound caches that I might want to hunt today, and when viewing one of them, I came across a most unusual "street view."  The Google image car now takes x-ray images?

Streetview_zpsa40aa07d.jpg

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

Holy smokes!

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yep. I got that same view too. A couple weeks ago we saw that on another website when we were looking to take my son go keying for his birthday. Check out k1speed.com to see another instance.
Posted Image

#9 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

It got me interested.  Checking other places, I found a good example of whats happening.  Go to the 9700 block of Westheimer and find CLASSY DESIGN FLORIST, 9717 Westheimer.  Within the store, using the carrot things at the bottom of the view, you can move the camera around to get different view (just like you do on street views).  One spot you can see a reflection of the camera setup in the front door on a tripod.  Start in the middle of the store and back yourself out to the door (use the left and right rotations as you move backwards.

I guess Google has permission from the owner of the store to take the videos (and maybe at a charge).  One view has a gentleman entering/standing at the door

#10 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

It got me interested.  Checking other places, I found a good example of whats happening.  Go to the 9700 block of Westheimer and find CLASSY DESIGN FLORIST, 9717 Westheimer.  Within the store, using the carrot things at the bottom of the view, you can move the camera around to get different view (just like you do on street views).  One spot you can see a reflection of the camera setup in the front door on a tripod.  Start in the middle of the store and back yourself out to the door (use the left and right rotations as you move backwards.

I guess Google has permission from the owner of the store to take the videos (and maybe at a charge).  One view has a gentleman entering/standing at the door

I guess this is something relatively new that Google's come up with.  Interesting way to virtually tour an area.

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

I guess I'm going to have to quit going commando now?  Freedom!

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Just found a little bit more about this X-ray stuff GOOGLE has of going into buildings and shops.  There are quite a few places that has allowed/bought the service to have them take pictures inside their business.  Must be about 100 of them in and around Houston.

To check/see where they are located, get on a GOOGLE street map of your area and zoom in rather close. Hold down on the google man and move him around looking for small green dots.  Place the cursor on it.  For example, look up 9717 Westheimer, Houston TX, zoom in and your will see the green dot.  There are other green dots nearby.  Downtown Houston has five or six.

In some of the businesses, I saw reflections and one was of a man taking pictures with the camera on a tripod.  Look like a smaller version of the ones on automobiles.

I notice some blue dots/squares also.  Seems they are parking lots and taking pictures of tall buildings.  More of a scenic type.

Most of the businesses are in the higher end businesses, dress shops, florists, some coffee break shops, high end furniture, beauty shops and so forth.  Another one was a smoke shop, another was a upper class western wear/cowboy boots place.

I may be up all night checking out some of these places.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users