• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bethandken

bethandken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hello to all, I am looking to buy a GPS when income tax time comes around and I would like to know what people are using and why they like it or not like it. I appreciate it and 

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth Lewis 

now Geosniper Fam

#2 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I mainly cache off my smart phone, so if you are looking for a dedicated unit I am not going to be much help.

Eagle

Posted Image

#3 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'd look at the Garmin Oregon 600/600t and 650/650t units when they come out (1st quarter of 2013.)  They upgraded to capacitive touch screen and there's claim of unlimited Geocache's to be stored (I'd put this into the to be verified category.) https://buy.garmin.c...p.do?pID=113538

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Kind of depends on your budget.  I have the Garmin 62s and like it just fine.  Love the 3-axis compass and the wireless sharing for when you are caching with other folks and need to share a cache entry.  If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably look at the aforementioned Oregon's or the Montana.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

The 450 series of Oregons are are going to be much cheaper than teh 600s and probably do everything you want them to do and more.  I've had mine a few years and love it.   There is nicer stuff out there, but can't justify the expenses.  Maybe with the 600s...  after the price comes down.

If you have a smartphone, tell us what kind.  Most cachers use both to some degree and can weigh in on the best apps for what you have.

Posted Image

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Oregon series or the 62's, like HoustonControl mentioned.

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Oregon 62s.  I also have a 450, but wanted more, which the 62 provided.    FYI - Originally, I purchased the 62stc, but it gave me so many problems, that after Garmin exchanging twice, I told them to downgrade me and throw in a map, which they did.

Posted Image

#8 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Actually the 62s is not an Oregon, just Garmin.  Sorry bout that.

Posted Image

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I see a lot of Oregon's and 62's amongst the more serious geocachers for what it is worth.  I have an Oregon 450 and a 550.

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 bethandken

bethandken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I am also looking for a smartphone also and we are thinking of the Galaxy S3. What smartphones are you using? Thanks for the great replies so far and 

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth Lewis 

now Geosniper Fam

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Galaxy Nexus.

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Galaxy S3.  Awesome phone, and really solid GPS.  Feel free to shoot me a message if you have questions about it.

• bethandken likes this
Posted Image

#13 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well, smartphones & apps work allright, but the difficulty with a lot of them is that they use a LOT of battery. So we use a Garmin Oregon 200 instead as our main source of GPS. Smartphones are a good addition though.

Most important thing for us is the capacity to go paperless on geocaching, and most of the GPSrs take care of that nowadays.

Good luck in choosing one, there's plenty around, you just have to figure out how much you wanna spend.
  • bethandken and Baytown Bert like this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#14 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

iphone and geosphere app. It doesn't appear to suck the life out of the battery like my Android did.

Posted Image

#15 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

My first phone was an HTC EVO 4g. Running GPas and C:geo on the thing you could hear chewing as it ate through battery. However with my Samsung the battery is pretty good. I was out this past weekend with .jpeg. After 4.5 hours of hunting I still had 25% remaing. By comparison he only had 9%. On the other hand my EVO would been long since dead. Smart phone are not to the point where you can do long all day hikes withiut carrying portable chargers yet, but they still have a lot of features that stand aline unit cannot offer. Eagle
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users