#1 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

New Garmin Oregon's

The New 600/600t and 650/650t (has 8MP camera) will support GLONASS and Unlimited Geocaches :fist-pump: Check out the link above.
Also, moved from Resistive to Capacitive touchscreens.

Edited by TAZ427, 14 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

It still says 4,000 Geocaches not Unlimited.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

It still says 4,000 Geocaches not Unlimited.

Where did you see this? I did see it say that for the Waypoints/Favorities/Locations, but that's not the Geocache limits as far as I can tell. Also, I've seen in both their product page and announcement that it indicated unlimited geocaches can be loaded.

We can only hope, and I won't swear by it until I see someone with a ton of geocaches loaded.

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Unlimited seems pretty unreasonable. Unless it has a mobile data connection and cloud storage then at some point you are going to run out of memory. However, I could be happy with a limit of say 20,000 or 30,000 caches.

Eagle
Posted Image

#5 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

From Garmins page on the Oregon 650 unit: https://buy.garmin.c...=145&pID=113520
Load All the Geocaches

No more picking, choosing and planning, just download them all. The Oregon 650 can hold an unlimited number of geocaches. Not just one thousand, not just one million. Unlimited. Download every cache on OpenCaching.com. Load caches from GSAK. Or use your favorite program or website supporting GGZ files*. All your paperless geocaching features will be there for every cache. Read full descriptions, hints and logs. View cache photos. Filter caches by size, terrain, difficulty and type. Connect to chirp-enabled caches. Record your logs in the field. Do it all. The Oregon 650 has no limit.

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 4000

This is under specs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Couple things:

1) Yes, it looks like they flipped the 62s series specs, sorta, where the 62s supports unlimited waypoints/POIs but only 5k geoCaches in the GPX format. The waypoints count limited only by micro sd memory in the 62s.

2) I am guessing the new geocache file format is an extension of gpx to handle larger collections more efficiently. GPX is so widely supported, though, there better be some real benefit. OpenCaching.com and adventures isn't enough incentive by themselves IMHO.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

They should spend their R&D money on making these devices wi-fi IMO.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 15 January 2013 - 04:46 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

And with a real type keyboard instead of that crap my 450 has. What a PITA. I'm glad they went unlimited. Seems foolish. I rarely hit the 5k limit on mine, but when I go on a trip I like to have at on because I never know where I'll be. Makes life much easier that way.
Posted Image

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

I've been eyeing the Montana as a replacement for my Nuvi, because it holds 12,000 caches. I would mostly use it in the car in auto-routing mode (since it has a nice, big screen), but could use it in the field in a pinch. Be nice if it went unlimited...
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Maybe Garmin is prepping for the TEXAS 25000s, and 25050stc-wifi-BT-4G models for unlimited geoCaches, photos, TBs, PAF lists!
  • The networking capability and the internal camera enable you to tweet your chirps, and even "Bert a pictorial panorama" directly to FaceSpace or HGCS.org by just telling SILLI (Siri was already taken) to make it happen.
  • I envision the real-time voice logging to be a great hit - especially with "Curse you Aaron Barbee" filters (among other curse words) available as optional pluggins.
  • One of the coolest features is the built in SL printer which will imprint your full signature and date within the allotted space on even nano-size logs by simply sliding the log along a slot on the device like a credit card...there's even a built-in pop-out roller for those pesky nano logs too.
  • New breakthrough trick features are for the events. If you have the new optional BlueTooth ear piece, SILLI will tell you the name of any premium geocacher by simply training the camera on them, while tapping the brand new "WTF?" button and whispering "who's that again SILLI?" Now we can all remember names like Preachers and Salesman!
  • Also, the unit has a built in flashlight and magnifier function which enable the unit to automatically log even the most difficult to read Travel Bug or geoCoin using advanced scanning and OCR. How cool is that?
  • For me, I cannot wait for the new proximity alarm tones! One rumor has it that when you get within 50ft of the GZ, you hear the opening to ACDC "Hells Bells" as an optional alternative tone. I love ACDC.
  • Also SILLI works great with Google Maps too. Once you have a cache in mind to go after you just say "Get me as close as you can SILLI" and word is SILLI makes it happen!
  • Another neat breakthrough is the WWCCC feature. WWCCC is short for Warmer warmer, COLD COLD COLD and it is the choice of voices, including Sue Sylvester, Kanye West, Bart Simpson, and Don Rickles providing you audible "hints" to GZ so you can keep your eyes out for snakes and/or fresh Poop,
  • The built-in "help me Obiwan Kenobe, you're my only hope" projector (on the 25050stc-wifi-BT-4G model only) will surely be a big hit as we share Baytown Bert inspired geoPhotos and video with others at local events. I just projects a 48in HD image in free space using magic I guess. SILLI will even critique your work if you press the "WTF?" button...amazing.
Yep, I'd say those Garmin folks are working hard to make the new TEXAS model really special right down to the random and spontaneous "Obama slams" in the voice of Rick Perry, such as "Gun Control? Use both hands! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha," for example. Note: There is a mute function for when you're caching in Austin.

Anyway, you didn't hear any of this from me if anyone asks. ;)
  • cachestacker, ProMed Rick, pindroppers74 and 3 others like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I understand the 25050stc-wifi-BT-4G will also have full autorouting with turn-by-turn directions, lifetime maps, and traffic. Utilizing the available bluetooth, it can automatically connect wirelessly to the stereo of the car in front of you (the one doing 10 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane) and send a voice message that says, "IT'S THE PEDAL ON THE RIGHT!!!!!".

So I've heard...
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'd pay for that option!
Posted Image

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

I have the Oregon 650 setting here on my desk. It came UPS yesterday.

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

I've been eyeing the Montana as a replacement for my Nuvi, because it holds 12,000 caches. I would mostly use it in the car in auto-routing mode (since it has a nice, big screen), but could use it in the field in a pinch. Be nice if it went unlimited....

I have a montana 650t and it is great the only real rub is it doesn't have the rail mounting system like the oregon line. Does have a lanyard loop. It works as my backup to my nuvi for automotive use when needed.

Edited by ClanStan, 19 September 2013 - 04:10 PM.

Posted Image

#16 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

The new ggz format is a compressed file with another file that serves as a pointer to the compressed file so it doesnt have load the large compressed file. It only loads the much smaller pointer file and grabs what it needs as you load a particular cache.
  • pindroppers74 likes this
Posted Image

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

They should spend their R&D money on making these devices wi-fi IMO.

The Monterra has wi-fi

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

$700 worth...

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

For $700 it better find the cache, sign the log, rub your feet and serve you coffee and donuts...

Edited by bbqbob2, 20 September 2013 - 07:55 AM.

• Kirbydox, Baytown Bert and TexasWriter like this

#20 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Or wait a couple of months until some overpaid newb buys one, decides that geocaching isn't for them, and sells it on ebay for $400. :D

• GASTX likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users