#1 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

It was a bit of a impulse buy, but I bought a metal detector today at Academy. I figured I could supplement my retirement income in a couple of years by picking up lost nickels and dimes. I the meantime, I used it to find a couple of buried benchmarks. I enjoy benchmark hunting -- especially finding ones no other cachers have logged yet.

I found this one today in the Baytown Nature Center. It was buried pretty well, but I found it in less than a minute using the metal detector. Sweet!

Tools of the trade:
Posted Image
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#2 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

You need to contact Hwyhiker from the Woodlands. He is an avid Metal Detector. Nice job on the benchmark.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I have had one for several years and have only found 2 quarters under a bleacher. I did find my keys that fell out of my pocket in the yard. I really haven't used it that much because I am not sure where it is legal to be digging.
Posted Image

#4 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

HC, 2katz and I were out looking for a long lost benchmark today and thought a metal detector was the only solution. Your post is very timely. Did you do much research on em? Any tips? Not interested in treasure hunting really but benchmarks and reference marks, yes.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I did zero research. I went to Academy on the spur of the moment and picked one of the ones they had there. I DID use the Red Laser app on my phone to check other prices on the model I settled on (Academy seemed to be the cheapest). I just wanted one with a digital display and adjustable sensitivity. I figured they're generally designed to find buried coins, so finding a big honking brass benchmark should be a breeze!
  • KeyResults likes this

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

I'm interested in the nickels and dimes part. :)

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wait until you see all the bottlecaps and pulltabs.
Posted Image

#8 GeoGeex

GeoGeex

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBeach City, Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

In another life I would research old war sites and take my metal detector out there. I have buttons from uniforms from the civil war and the War of 1812. That's really fun to do. There used to be annual "hunts" held by different clubs. They would bury 100's of silver dimes and tokens for free prizes like new metal detectors. That was a blast too. I wonder if there is such a club in the Baytown area?
Posted Image

#9 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I rented one and used it to find my GPSr that I dropped in some really long dense grass. Next time can I call you Larry?

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I rented one and used it to find my GPSr that I dropped in some really long dense grass. Next time can I call you Larry?

Sure! I'll rent mine to you!

#11 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Scouring the Harbor Freight items the other day, I saw a pretty good price on a detector. Wonder if they are any good?

#12 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

HC, I recall one becnhmark I found in SC that was about 12-18 inches under the surface. We got lucky really. Any idea how deep the Metal Detector will scan for a Benchmark and pick it up? I know the electric company/telephone co guys use a special deep scan unit to mark buried cables, but I'm unsure where they become necessary?
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

The display on this one goes up to 8" deep for coins and the like. I guess it might pick up something bigger like a benchmark a little deeper than that? The few I found the other day were all within 3" of the surface. I usually don't take a backhoe with me when benchmarking anyway!

#14 pindroppers74

pindroppers74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Our youngest daughter lost her expensive high school ring in the backyard 5/6 years ago. We had tried searching with lower end models that family members had without success. A couple months ago a friend bought a high end metal detector and came over to search for it and within 10 minutes found the lost ring!
  • ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I went out yesterday to do the STS Series, and I had plans to try for a few benchmarks along the way -- including some that had never been logged on GC.com.  I took my metal detector with me, but it turns out I didn't need it.  This WAS one of the times when wearing an orange vest and hardhat and placing an orange cone behind my truck came in handy!  Got three FTFs in the Seabrook area!

http://www.geocachin...aspx?PID=AW5601

http://www.geocachin...aspx?PID=AW1575

http://www.geocachin...aspx?PID=AW1573

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

#16 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Larry, I saw you in the truck and bright vest along Space Center about 4 yesterday afternoon. You were a cache or two ahead of nomuggle.
I was going to stop and complain about my Comcast service until I saw it was you.

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I wish I would have been there.  You could have taken my photo...

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Larry a friend gave me a Garrett Industries "The Playmate" metal detector.  It is about 40 years old, but still works on a 9V battery.  I imagine it would be good enough for bench marks.

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Luckily, no muggle caught up to me to give the the correct coordinates for #10.  I had them the same as #9 due to a copy and paste error.  I was sitting there in my truck trying feverishly to resolve both #9 & #10 on my phone (wasn't sure which was incorrect) and she finally took pity on me.  I almost jumped out of my skin when she knocked on my passenger side window!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users