#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

MuddyWaterGirl, Rambetta, and I visited this one in Humble yesterday and it is a very interesting area.
GC3FN6F ▼ Humble's Forgotten
This cache is just east of a very old cemetery named "HUMBLE NEGRO CEMETERY" and currently is being kept up by a local church. It is a very old history piece of Humble. Many graves here are unmarked or have been vandalized over the years. This area was undefinable for a long time till an incident occurred and brought public attention to the cemetery. The only reason the cemetery is here is because a local businessman named Mr. Bender employed many black families and when Humble evicted them from their lives and even their graves, he let them live near here and bury their dead on his land. There are also remains on the north side of a old kerosene refinery, two concrete storage tanks and some concrete tank supports. Please use caution if you go exploring these areas. Its also said that this area is HAUNTED!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Humble Negro Cemetery
The Humble Negro Cemetery is located in Harris County, Texas, just north of the City of Humble, Texas. It is located about 200 yards north of the FM 1960 by-pass which runs along the north side of Humble, Texas and east of the railroad tracks and U.S. Highway 59. (GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 30.006264, Longitude: -95.261829).
History
The City of Humble, Texas incorporated as a city in 1933. At that time, by vote of the City Council, racial segregation was invoked to make the town "lily white". The black population was forced to relocate their families as well as the graves of their dead to another location, outside the city limits. Starting in 1933, blacks began to move out of Humble. By 1935, almost everyone had moved.
There used to be a sawmill north of Humble that was owned by Mr. Bender, one of the founders of Humble. Blacks migrated from Gladysville, Cleveland, Splendora and Fastoria to work there. He was kind to the African-American people and gave them some property to live on and a place to bury their loved ones. The entire area is now referred to as Bordersville (informal), because the African-Americans were made to live outside the "border" of incorporated Humble.
Time took its toll on the cemetery over the years and the entire cemetery became overgrown. In 2005, the members of Grace Church, a multicultural church located in Humble, sought for permission from the owners of the land to clean and restore the land. This is something the descendants of the deceased had hoped and tried to do for a long time. After receiving clearance from the City of Humble and the Texas Department of Transportation, Grace Church spent many thousands of dollars putting in a road, clearing hundreds of trees, and working with local historians to restore the cemetery. In order to honor the veterans of war that are buried there, the church also installed a flag pole and U.S. flag station. Currently the church is pursuing a historical marker to be placed at the site. While hoping to turn the cemetery back to the loved ones of the deceased, the church continues to cover all maintenance and up keep at its own expense.
In 2008, however, there was an incident that involved disturbing one of the graves and descrating one of the bodies interred there. This incident brought the cemetery back into the public eye. The pastors of Grace Church oversaw the re-interment of the body.
The gravesites here are not arranged in rows or plots and only a few stones remain. They are randomly placed. Many of the graves are unmarked, or the stones have been removed. Very few, if any records were kept and several people have since desecrated the graveyard by reducing the graves themselves to a pile of rubble.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,360 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Just don't go visit this cemetery on Halloween night. I'm just saying.
Posted Image

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

3 Kingwood teens accused of abusing corpse
Posted: 5-8-2008
HOUSTON (AP) ­Three Kingwood teens have been arrested and accused of digging up a secluded grave and removing a skull in Humble, a city north of Houston.
Kevin Wade Jones, 17, and Matthew Richard Gonzalez, 17, both of Kingwood, told Houston police that round March 15 they and a 16year old juvenile dug up a grave, removed the skull from the coffin and converted it into a "bong," a device used to smoke marijuana, according to court documents.
Jones and Gonzalez were arrested Wednesday night and are being held on misdemeanor abuse of a corpse charges, said Houston police Sgt. John Chomiak. The juvenile was referred to Harris County juvenile justice system.
Houston police were initially interviewing Jones about the use of a stolen debit card when Jones told them about the grave theft, according to court records. Asked why Jones would volunteer such a story,
Chomiak said, "we can only speculate and guess to what goes on in the criminal mind."
Gonzalez confirmed the story to investigators in a follow up interview. Police were led to a heavily wooded site in Humble where they found a knocked over headstone and water-filled hole more than four feet deep.
At the time, the muddy water did not allow police to see if the coffin had been disturbed.
"They dug into this gravesite and that was enough to warrant the abuse of corpse charge," Chomiak said. "There has to be further investigation into the actual gravesite."
A woman who answered the phone at Gonzalez’s home, but declined to identify herself, said, "I have no comment right now."
Attempts to locate a telephone number for Jones were not immediately successful and it wasn’t clear from court records if he had an attorney.
The grave belonged to Willie Simms, according to court documents. Chomiak said that Simms’ nextofkin had not been notified.
While residents in the area knew of the cemetery’s existence, it did not appear to be maintained. Preliminary reports indicated it was a 19thcentury "veterans" cemetery, he said.
05/08/08 21:02 EDT

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

The best place to go in for this cache is not where they suggest, as it will make you cross private property (RR Tracks) and you could get a healthy ticket. Worldwide Prayer & Revival Center 611 FM 1960 Bypass Rd Humble, TX 77338 is next to the road on the feeder that leads down to the cemetery. the gate is unlocked and there are no signs stating it is private property, etc.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm curious. Did this post wet anyone's appetite? Only one comment generated with 41 views.

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 pindroppers74

pindroppers74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

We went there last June and it was the last cache after a very long hot day. We parked where they suggested and hiked and crossed the tracks. Our GPS unit was not working well for the hunt. Loved the history and information about the cemetery and had been going to cemeteries all that day. I see that we were the first of many dnf's. We will try for this one again.....
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I like seeing the info on this - thanks for posting it! Probably would never have gone for it absent knowing more about it from this. It will be on my to-do list, but I just don't have anything planned out that way anytime soon. But if I stop doing projects and can get out and actually cache -- I'll make it that way. Hopefully in the spring.
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Just follow my directions for getting to the cache and don't cross the tracks. The next time I am up that way, I'm going to try and photograph some of the existing headstones for Find A Grave. I put it on my watch list also to read the logs.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users