#81 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Specifically, at the end of my email I said, "I sometime cache on my bicycle and by kayak.  Are only interested in steps taken?"

They may ask something in the survey about other forms of caching exercise, but I'm sure they don't want to burden everyone with tracking steps taken, miles ridden, paddle strokes taken, etc.  Since probably 95% of the "physical activity" done while caching, for most people, involves walking, I guess tracking that parameter alone would cover most of what they're trying to get data on.  My .02 anyway.

• GeoOtter likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#82 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

The simple act of walking and the energy expended isn't necessarily measured in steps also.  Take a hike through the

Cherokee rose, lifting each foot straight up for instance.  Then there is climbing fences and trees.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 31 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#83 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

This is true, but those things should even out if their sample size is big enough.  I guess they're comparing geocaching with other outdoor rural activities like hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. and that's the simplest basis to go on.  Hard to compare apples to oranges to kumquats!

#84 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

2katz - be sure to mention you can track mileage on your gps.
Posted Image

#85 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

ah yes, good point!  and we can track the time it took to walk, hike, yak or bike those miles!

Posted Image

#86 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Tracking miles on the GPSr is fine if you're on one long hike or paddle.  If your caching involves any driving between caches, you either have to note the distance then reset the trip meter each time you get in the car, or shut the GPSr off when driving.  I guess you could download your tracks to some sort of mapping program and edit out the driving portions, but frankly all that is more work than I signed up for.

Gosh, now I'm sounding like BaytownBert!

• Baytown Bert likes this

#87 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Word!

TXGA SETX Representative

#88 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I was thinking more of those who do a series on bikes and bike the whole way. Or paddle a whole series.

Edited by cachestacker, 31 January 2013 - 07:47 PM.

Posted Image

#89 GeoOtter

GeoOtter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Specifically, at the end of my email I said, "I sometime cache on my bicycle and by kayak.  Are only interested in steps taken?"

They may ask something in the survey about other forms of caching exercise, but I'm sure they don't want to burden everyone with tracking steps taken, miles ridden, paddle strokes taken, etc.  Since probably 95% of the "physical activity" done while caching, for most people, involves walking, I guess tracking that parameter alone would cover most of what they're trying to get data on.  My .02 anyway.

I agree. According to what they are saying, this is the first study of it's kind so they have to start somewhere. i would expect more studies coming in the future that are more inclusive of other activities (methods of caching besides walking).

Edited by GeoOtter, 31 January 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#90 MuddyWaterGirl

MuddyWaterGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHumble Texas

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hey there all, Wanted to let you k now that I also recd the recall for the email because they left something out or something like that. But if you signed up, you should still be in the study.

I recd my little pedometer in the mail this week and tried it out, nothing hig-tech, just counts one digital # up when it gets jostled. Had to figure out just where to clip it on my waistband/hip to make it work. Had to adopt a little bit of the Grampa McCoy  'hitch-in-ur-git-along' and it worked fine. I also recd a little log book that was a bit confusing since it was asking for a cache id with each entry of steps made. I called and spoke with  Whitney Garney who is listed as the Brazos Valley Regional Manager at 979/862-1212 and had a few questions for her. (She sounds like shes about 12 years old) Anyway, I explained about how some caches might just be one P&G and barely one step out of your vehicle or some could be just a handful and be on a 6 mile trail... how they are so varied and wanted to be clear about how precise we had to be about the # of steps per cache id.

She was very sweet and I can tell she is just now realizing that there are a lot more variables they may need to consider in caching and also maybe adjust their anticipated outcomes. She said they were seeing that they were going to have to readjust a few things and that she had received quite a few calls about the same thing - the recording of steps per cache. She told me that they would like us to use the booklet for our notes in any way that made it easier for us to track our progress/steps. However a caching trip large or small worked out, just keep a record of the steps during the activity and have a total in the end. So, guess it's not so complicated afterall for me. Just write down the steps on the counter and maybe reference a particular cache that will reference that day or trip.

Hope to see you guys in April down at Port A if not sooner. ;)

#91 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Good feedback.  I tried it out today on a hike and I think the results are useless.  I wrote down how many steps to each cache (after the first cache it was steps between caches) but then had to hike all the way back from the last cache but had no cache to reference those steps for so they're gone.  They should just ask for total steps per caching adventure and forget about trying to reference to each cache.  I don't see where the cache is relevant if they're just trying to see how many steps we take while caching.  Probably what they need is a date and a total number of steps related to caching on that date.

I've sent an email asking for clarification.  That little notebook will fill up fast with 10 and 20 steps per cache for the ones done by car.

Edited by jackrock, 01 February 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#92 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

My understanding is that they are looking for steps per outing. Not sure what the little notebook is for, but I am thinking it mihht make a nice scratch pad. Eagle
  • GeoOtter likes this
Posted Image

#93 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Jackrock, read HC's posts.  The cache ID is for a reference only.  Just list the first one you do that day and record total number of steps caching each day you're out.

Posted Image

#94 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Gosh, I just posted this yesterday, but I'll repost:

I got this reply this morning from Whitney Garney at the GEAR Study:

Hi Mr. Houston,

Thank you for your participation in the Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research (GEAR) Study! The record booklet for your convenience in tracking the number of steps you walk while geocaching. We are only asking you report the number of steps you walk each time you go geocaching on the monthly surveys. We are looking for the number of steps you take on each geocaching trip, not for each cache find. Sorry for the confusion. If you have any other questions, please email me.

Whitney

The underlined emphasis was hers, not mine.

#95 GeoOtter

GeoOtter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

haha! "log your steps and stop asking questions!" is what i'm getting from this. that's cool, we can handle it ;)

#96 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

About a week and a half ago I saw this thread and thought I would see if I could still get in.  I did the survey and kind of thought that since so many of you already had received your e-mail that you got in that I probably was too late and kind of dismissed it.  Yesterday I received an e-mail saying I am in --- makes me wonder if I just made it in after reading the article that was posted.  I am kind of a geek and will probably post steps for single caches in the book (when I get it) and when I do several caches in a day I may copy the cache ID #s from GSAK into a spreadsheet and just list total steps for the day.... or maybe my book will turn into a scratch notebook and will submit most of what I in an Excel format.  I guess it all depends on what they will accept to get credit.  If I do it that way, no big deal.

I am curious on the answer about biking.  I haven't yet biked when caching but that is because it would be too difficult to do with Brandon but if he heads off to camp or somewhere when I can go bike a trail or two, I will definitely do it.  Maybe my packet of stuff will be at the house when I return next week!

#97 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

HC, I'm confused.  Can you post it a third time?  LOL

Hi Mr. Houston,

Thank you for your participation in the Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research (GEAR) Study! The record booklet for your convenience in tracking the number of steps you walk while geocaching. We are only asking you report the number of steps you walk each time you go geocaching on the monthly surveys. We are looking for the number of steps you take on each geocaching trip, not for each cache find. Sorry for the confusion. If you have any other questions, please email me.

Whitney

TXGA SETX Representative

#98 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

HC, I'm confused.  Can you post it a third time?  LOL

Hi Mr. Houston,

Whitney

:2funny:   :uglystupid2:

Posted Image

#99 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

ok, so KeyResults and I head out to work the Alphabet Soup series yesterday and I wear the little do-hickey for the study. First I place it on my pant leg, then on my pocket.  I get better readings on my pocket. However, I check on it a few times after taking about 10 steps.  It only registers 2.  What the ???

For the more and 9 mile, 8 hour hike, it only registered just over 3,000 steps.   Based on my height, stride, mileage... this should have calculated out closer 21,555 steps!   

If these pedometers are that far off (I didn't say cheap or piece of crap), this study will by no means be accurate or relate to reality in any way.

• jschaudt likes this
Posted Image

#100 jschaudt

jschaudt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

ok, so KeyResults and I head out to work the Alphabet Soup series yesterday and I wear the little do-hickey for the study. First I place it on my pant leg, then on my pocket.  I get better readings on my pocket. However, I check on it a few times after taking about 10 steps.  It only registers 2.  What the ???

For the more and 9 mile, 8 hour hike, it only registered just over 3,000 steps.   Based on my height, stride, mileage... this should have calculated out closer 21,555 steps!   

If these pedometers are that far off (I didn't say cheap or piece of crap), this study will by no means be accurate or relate to reality in any way.

I found mine was able read accurately. I also found out Mende's read 2.5 times as many steps. The difference I found in them is that when you hold it in front of you with the GEAR logo right reading, the round weight should be at the top post. Mende's was resting on the bottom post, so every bump made it count.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users