HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Little late for this. 

Center for Community Health Development would like to recall the message, "Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research Study".

I guess that was after I sent the reply about them sharing everyone's email address with everyone in the study.  I've never seen the recall thing before -- if an email hasn't been downloaded can it be recalled?  I would think once it's in your inbox, even using webmail, it's a done deal.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

You got it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Little late for this. 

Center for Community Health Development would like to recall the message, "Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research Study".

I guess that was after I sent the reply about them sharing everyone's email address with everyone in the study.  I've never seen the recall thing before -- if an email hasn't been downloaded can it be recalled?  I would think once it's in your inbox, even using webmail, it's a done deal.

I also sent an email about sending out all the email addresses and I got the same reply saying they would like me to recall my email.  Oh well.  Too bad.

Edited by jackrock, 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Well, they is Aggies after all! :crazy2:

#25 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I have seen people "recall" emails before.  I don't think it changes anything (like deleting the message from someone's inbox queue if they haven't checked their email), but it is a way of saying "oops, there was a problem with that message".

#26 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I, of course, was outraged.  Outraged, I say!

TXGA SETX Representative

#27 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, I had the email for most of those people anyway.  I DO know this spammer that will pay big bucks for a list like that!

#28 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

They just sent an email saying they are sorry for not BCC on the mail. They exposed everyone's email addresses! Not good at all.

#29 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, I had the email for most of those people anyway.  I DO know this spammer that will pay big bucks for a list like that!

Who?  Aaron Barbee or Baytown Burt?  LOL!!  :2funny:

Edited by georeyna, 18 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#30 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm back in their favor!!!

TXGA SETX Representative

#31 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Me too!   Received an apology message stating the everyone was supposed to be bcc'd.     Guess I'll have a goodie coming in the mail soon!!

Posted Image

#32 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

It seems like a pittance for the amount of effort we will have to put in IMO.  I have a pedometer already and the reward is 6 surveys completed for a measly coin?

"One of the ways we will measure physical activity is by the number of steps you walk each time you go geocaching.  In order to track this, we will send you a pedometer and a record book.  Please use the pedometer when you go geocaching and record the number of steps you walked in the record book...Upon completion of six GEAR surveys, you will receive a geocaching trackable. If you complete all twelve monthly surveys, you will be eligible for a limited edition trackable!"

Here is my letter back to them:

As an active member of the Houston Geocaching Society and discussing it with other members, it seems like a pittance for the amount of effort we will have to put in IMO.  I have a pedometer already and the reward is 6 surveys completed for a measly coin?

I'm thinking 3 surveys per coin.  Afterall, we are talking about 6 months of record keeping and for most of us, we geocache constantly.  It is akin to getting a potato chip after laboring all day.

If someone completes all 12 months, they should automatically receive a coin.  We are doing all the work to gather the data.  You all will simply be sifting it.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 19 January 2013 - 04:46 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#33 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

You didn't have to sign up, Bert.  I'm sure their funds are limited.

Hey, you could buy a state parks pass, drive all over the state visiting parks, finding caches, punching a passport, answering questions -- then mail it in (after paying postage) to get a shiny pathtag!

• ATMA and Baytown Bert like this

#34 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Larry, the answer is always no until you ask.  I may be able to parlay this up to the benefit of all.  Ka-ching!

TXGA SETX Representative

#35 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

You didn't have to sign up, Bert.  I'm sure their funds are limited.

Hey, you could buy a state parks pass, drive all over the state visiting parks, finding caches, punching a passport, answering questions -- then mail it in (after paying postage) to get a shiny pathtag!

I have gotten 3.... :what???:   I am on my 4th passport.  I must say the pathtags are cool and they throw in other freebees as well.

Edited by georeyna, 19 January 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#36 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Larry, the answer is always no until you ask.  I may be able to parlay this up to the benefit of all.  Ka-ching!

Bert!!!  I don't want any other benefit than what they offered.  I read it, I understood what I was getting when I agreed to participate.  I think you did the same thing when you signed up.  Too late to go ask for more.  I am truly interested in their findings..we have many powercachers in the area and it would be interesting to see how much time people do spend on hiking, or do they spend most time chasing LPC.  It should be an interesting outcome with no other rewards than what they offered.

#37 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

So I should recall the email?  LOL (Slapping my knee)  If I parlay more than you agreed upon getting, can I have your extras?  Just sayin'...

TXGA SETX Representative

#38 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

If I get anything extra, I'm sending it to some orphan in Ethiopia.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#39 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

I want all I can git!  Whoops!  Am I now a Democrat???  :stirpot:

• ATMA likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#40 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi Mr. Marshall, Thank you for your interest in the Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research (GEAR) Study! We are excited to learn more about the sport and its impact on physical activity.  I understand your concerns about the amount of surveys and the reward for completing them. However, due to limited funding we are not able to compensate each geocacher with one trackable per every three surveys. We plan to send out a trackable after the first six surveys completed and another trackable if you complete all twelve surveys. I hope you will consider participating in GEAR because of its potential impact on the sport, as well as the trackable rewards. If you have any other questions about the study please email me.  Thank you!
Whitney

• georeyna likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users