#21 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Excellent advice all and I take it to heart. I think I'll stick with the Type 1 and I've practiced "swimming onto my Ocean Kayak in my pool, but need to do it again and make my Bride do it too, now that she is going with me and I need to be wearing the PFD at the same time. When we did the nighttime paddling event recently, 3 different times, we hit something in the dark that almost made us feel like we would tip over.

To be honest, Bert, the type V is essentially a loophole and a decoration that keeps you from getting a ticket, IMHO.

I wear a type V on super calm hot days fishin the flats in 2ft deep, 87F, water for miles around me in my yak but only if I'm fishing with another (my BFF) and I always have a throwable Type I at hand tethered to yak.

When I'm offshore in YAK, I use TYPE I, same in Bays, marshes, lakes and or paddling alone or away from others...Type I, until I beach the yak and am on Terra Firma. One more thing, anytime near any kind of a Pass or periods of strong tidal movement or in inclement weather...Type I :)

It's super common to flip your kayak. It happens to even the most experienced paddlers eventually. If it hasn't happen to u yet, just wait, your time is a coming
WHEN that time comes, perhaps when you least expect it, in your single or double seater, you'll calmly right the boat, and gather your tethered stuff, curse a little for untethered stuff now likely lost, then hop back in the Yak (cuz u practiced this under these very paddling conditions I.e.,4ft swells in 26ft depth near High Island, etc.

Sorry about soapbox on this topic my friends. I don't want to lose any more friends to an easily preventable cause.

PEACE

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#22 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's terrible news. That lake is right next to the church where our boy scout troop meets. It's scary to think how fast things can change and you can end up in real trouble.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#23 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

<snip>If you're not wearing a belt tight above your waist, your waders fill almost instantaneously when u fall and all bets are off. It seems at least once every season some wading fisherman dies on a co stream or river and they almost never have a belt on.

Thanks for the info. I doubt I would have thought about wearing a tight belt when wearing waders.
There is no adventure without risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users