Photo

Staff returning to its owner (unrelated to Bobbitt)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

A few of you may recall that until the Texas Challenge 2012, I always cached with a collapsible foam insulated staff which doubles as a mono-pod, nescafe' coffee maker, and three-round .410 shot-gun, in one nice tidy little package. It was my twin I never had. My alpha and omega. My climbing tree, and my slip-n-slide...my Samson hair! In other words, I really liked my hiking staff. But I digress...

So, fast forward to the Texas Challenge 2012. The game was on! As we were racing through some fairly tough 4/4 hides against a couple of opposing teams (Arrrrrr, scalawags they be), I inadvertently left my trusty staff behind at one of the GZ's after we SL and took off for the next hide. I realized I was light one staff approximately 300 yds straight up a hill as we were literally running to the next GZ. My team mates, 2katz and dangerman3olives, realized something was amiss. I shared my news with an obviously disappointing tone. They offered that we could head back to retrieve it, but I knew that we'd lose some precious time in a tough and competitive area. Besides, SURELY somebody will grab it and bring it to the lost and found after the game was over, I reasoned. They didn't. And, don't call me Shirley.

2katz hung around after most cleared out of the park and checked with the Rangers, but no es nada. So, after the event I made an entry noting the lost historical artifact in my log just in case anybody actually reads them other than the CO. I also contacted Team-DnD and the TXGA committee to be on the lookout, and they said they would. Months passed and I started breaking in a new less improved model caching staff. My numbers dropped. It took me twice as long to find even the easiest LPCs. The sun was in my eyes so much more often, I no longer saw a daily rainbow. I got chiggers. We had a drought, and, well, you get the picture. I was in a geocaching funk. Lassie needed little Timmy.

Today, I got an email. It was just like any other email, except this one was different. :)
Team DnD said she found my trusty hiking staff! She's got it in her possession in Big D! It's in Dallas. Wahoo! Iron-man's Power Puck! She wanted to know what I wanted to her to do! Oh man, what to do, what to do? I could send a car? Naw, too risky. I know! "kd solo" has been visiting some of our Houston events for the past couple months while working down here on a project. He's one of the new geofriends I met at a recent PnG event. I learned (at the event) that kd solo lives "up north" and was co-chair of the TC2012. See, I do listen to you people blathering on about yourselves. :) I thought to myself, "self, maybe he knows Team DnD and can retrieve my staff for me". A couple quick emails to each and voila! Turns out Team-DnD was the other co-chair of the TC 2012! They are dear friends and it looks like this is gonna happen thanks to kd solo who will see Team DnD tomorrow as it turns out.

Big Planet. Small World.

The moral to the story: Go to Events and "talk" to people, listen to people, record EVERYTHING. You may even get your staff back.

Seriously, it's very cool that this happened. It absolutely would not have happened if it weren't for diligent geocachers and events. Here's to both!
  • Baytown Bert and TeamBlacklist like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Awesome! So glad you are gonna be reunited with your long lost friend.
Posted Image

#3 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

KD solo had been on the TXGA board aling with his wife back when he was KD and prettier half. He resigned when she lost her fight with cancer the second half of last year. Really nice guy.

Eagle

PS: He also has 20, 000 plus finds.

Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

So, Lorena won't be the one returning your staff?
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Oh yeah, Kenny was quite elated when he received the message about his missing arm being found in some little lost cubby hole at the ranger station.

Once back in hand, we'll all have to work real hard to get the stick out of his hands when eating, sleeping.... This will have to be a group effort!!!
Posted Image

#6 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'll work on it. I bet I can get it out of his cold hands... haha

#7 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like the evil voices are still talking to you, Jason.
Good timing for the 2013 challenge.

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Okay, for $20, I'll back the winner, but I may end up hurting myself. big dude versus mud wrestler... sounds like a fight to me.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users