9 replies to this topic

#1 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

So, I went to the registration site and it doesn't remember my username and logon from last year and tells me my email address isn't in the system. I registered last year, so I thought I could just login to my existing account and register for this year. Am I wrong? Is it a new account every year/challenge?
Posted Image

#2 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Something's wrong with the login for the Texas Challenge Registration. I confirmed that my TXGA login worked on the forum, but not on the TX Challenge sign-up.

Posted this on the TX Challenge 2013 Thread on txga.net

Edited by TAZ427, 01 January 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

The two are seperate systems. Also I believe they wiped the records last year so you will have to registrar.

Eagle
Posted Image

#4 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just a reminder that the deadline to order TEXAS CHALLENGE 2013 Coins, etc. is January 31st. So you don't miss out, go to http://www.txchallen...gistration.com/NOW!

***Even if you have been in a Texas Challenge before, you will have to register a new account. The reason for this is simple. The person in charge of the Challenge changes every year. This means that we have to close access to the previous year's books in order to grant access to this year's chairman. So, it is basically a whole new "ballgame" every year.

#5 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

ckpetrus, the Captain of the 2013 Texas Challenge Hide Team posted this on the event cache page (GC3WBCT):

Greetings fellow geocachers! As head of the hide team committee I could not be more excited about what we have in store for you this April. The planning team has come up with some awesomely creative hides. This year's Texas Challenge is unique in that it will be the first challenge to include urban caches. Don't worry though, we've got much more in store for you than a string of LPCs. In fact, I think I can safely promise there will be NO traditional light post hides! What you will find at this year's challenge is a unique mix of urban, beach, and and greenspace caches with a heavy emphasis on creativity. Fully two thirds of the hides will be located in non-urban parklands and all others will be placed with the full knowledge and support of local businesses. The city of Port Aransas has been very supportive of our efforts and is ready to welcome geocachers with open arms. I guarantee this will be a Challenge you won't soon forget, and I look forward to seeing you all in beautiful Port Aransas in April!

Don't know about ya'll but it sounds like fun to me. Don't forget that the deadline for coins and pathtags is Jan. 31 so go to http://www.txchallen...gistration.com/ and sign up now!

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

I ordered a coin and some pathtags TWO days ago and still haven't gotten them. What's taking so long! :teasing:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 TeamBlacklist

TeamBlacklist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

We've registered for this event as attending but not competing. However, we might be interested in competing but don't know what to expect. Would one of you that has attended the challenge in the past tell us what to expect if we do decide to compete?

#8 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Since every Challenge is a bit different, I'm not sure anyone but someone from South Texas can tell you what to expect. However, do expect to be on the move for about 4 hours straight going after caches and do expect to have fun. Get in a group that moves about the same pace you do.
  • TeamBlacklist likes this
Posted Image

#9 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I would attend but I have a University event that I must attend that Saturday, so I can't go. I had a great time at the last two Challenges, and if I could go, I would go and would compete.

I think Tealcat is planning on going to help the team (but not compete).

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

We've registered for this event as attending but not competing. However, we might be interested in competing but don't know what to expect. Would one of you that has attended the challenge in the past tell us what to expect if we do decide to compete?

Teams compete from different regions of the state. We are SETX, and there are teams from Central Texas, North Texas, East Texas, West Texas, and South Texas... though South Texas is hosting, so they may or may not field a competition team. In previous years there has sometimes been an out-of-state team as well. As Muddy Buddies said, each challenge is a little different, but generally it goes something like this. Folks meet at the posted coordinates on the morning of the event. Announcements are made and there is an orientation where rules are reviewed, etc. Team captains are then given a USB drive with a GPX file of all the caches hidden for the event (these are NOT "real" caches that are posted on GC.com). Teams have roughly 45 minutes to load the caches onto all the GPSr units for their competitors and do any last minute strategery. Right before the horn sounds to start the competition, scorecards are passed out to the teams (this is done at the last minute to discourage anyone from getting a head start). The horn sounds and you have 4 hours to find as many of the caches as possible. There is a unique punch inside each cache that you use to punch your scorecard in the proper square. Harder diff/terrain caches are worth more points. Turn your card in at the HQ or any aid station before the final gun sounds or you may get a big fat zero!

Previous challenges have been in state parks, so everyone scattered and hit the trailheads to (mostly) hike to the caches. Some drove in vehicles through the park to other trailheads, or rode bikes, but the "playing field" was confined to the park and immediate surroundings. It sounds like this year's challenge will include caches all over Port Aransas -- urban caches, caches in parks and green spaces, and caches on the beach. It would seem that when the horn sounds, everyone will jump in vehicles and hit the roads. I could envision a mad rush, ensuing traffic jam, and possibly the violation of a few traffic laws! I hope they have plans to mitigate those issues...
  • TeamBlacklist likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users