• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crab of crab and ram

crab of crab and ram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Wikipedia (i know it's not gospel) says channel two on the FRS/GMRS is usually used by geocachers to find others. anybody know anything about this or use two-ways?
bought a handful of them for jeeping recently but since i have them might as well bring one when i cache.
Posted Image

#2 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Never heard of that before, but then I don't do a lot with radios.

Eagle
Posted Image

#3 crab of crab and ram

crab of crab and ram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

it's funny how i'll be looking up something else and come across some random geocaching "fact"
Posted Image

#4 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Wikipedia (i know it's not gospel) says channel two on the FRS/GMRS is usually used by geocachers to find others. anybody know anything about this or use two-ways?
bought a handful of them for jeeping recently but since i have them might as well bring one when i cache.

I've got a pair of FRS radios, but I never heard the channel two was "geocacher central." Since cell phone coverage has become so universal, I seldom use them any more, but in the past, when my wife would accompany me, we'd use them to keep in touch in some situations.

#5 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

A long time ago I read about a channel for geocachers but I can't recall where I read it or which channel it was.

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Actually Garmin used to make a GPS with a built in FRS radio. You just have to get on the same channel. They are not used at the Texas Challenge because of the fear of eavesdropping.
Posted Image

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Actually Garmin used to make a GPS with a built in FRS radio. You just have to get on the same channel. They are not used at the Texas Challenge because of the fear of eavesdropping.

They still do... http://sites.garmin.com/rino/
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I think the dummies guide to geocaching says that. Must have been a legacy thing before gps's commonly had 4G LTE radios and support for hypertext markup language over internet protocol/transmission control protocol.
Posted Image

#9 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I think for one of the previous renditions of the Texas Challenge, we tried to use FRS radios, but the range was just not good enough. Channels were assigned to each team. It might have been the one at Cedar Hill (2005) or Inks Lake (2006).

I've got a pair of FRS radios, but I never heard the channel two was "geocacher central." Since cell phone coverage has become so universal, I seldom use them any more, but in the past, when my wife would accompany me, we'd use them to keep in touch in some situations.

Posted Image

#10 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

I think for one of the previous renditions of the Texas Challenge, we tried to use FRS radios, but the range was just not good enough. Channels were assigned to each team. It might have been the one at Cedar Hill (2005) or Inks Lake (2006).

Yes I remember i=using one at Cedar Hill
Posted Image

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I am told that I don't need a radio, everyone can hear me fine without one ;-/
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

We also tried walkie-walkies at Brazos Bend without much luck. Group messaging works so much better.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

We also tried walkie-walkies at Brazos Bend without much luck. Group messaging works so much better.

We even had a difficult time trying to get people to use texting instead of calling. Today no one would even think of calling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users