390 replies to this topic

#81 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Last night Syd and I were out at 10:00 p.m. doing the P+ tribute series Rich & Lola put out.  Parked at the nature center in their little turn around and took a walk to one nearby.  As we came back we heard the coyotes going full tilt.  We came back up Bay Area and before we got to the park a coyote ran right in front of the Jeep - quickly made a U-turn and went back into the woods.  In the median was a deer.  We made a U-turn and as we came back it ran in front of the Jeep, this time across the road towards the deer.  Only saw one coyote and one deer. It was Animal Kingdom going on -- right there.

Posted Image

#82 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

powerdog02 and I heard some of the wild hogs today at the clear creek nature center.  only saw as crazy as a confused cicada flying around our heads.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#83 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Last night Syd and I were out at 10:00 p.m. doing the P+ tribute series Rich & Lola put out.  Parked at the nature center in their little turn around and took a walk to one nearby.  As we came back we heard the coyotes going full tilt.  We came back up Bay Area and before we got to the park a coyote ran right in front of the Jeep - quickly made a U-turn and went back into the woods.  In the median was a deer.  We made a U-turn and as we came back it ran in front of the Jeep, this time across the road towards the deer.  Only saw one coyote and one deer. It was Animal Kingdom going on -- right there.

More wild animals trying to *commit suicide by Jeep*.  Just remembered when we were in the Nevada desert and the jack rabbit kept running towards the mini van, begging for Lola to run over it!! LOL!!

• Huff-Suter likes this

#84 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Nevada jackrabbits are stupid animals.

Posted Image

#85 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Kinda like squirrels? Not many mammals respond to an overwhelming threat approaching directly at them at high speed by hopping out in front of it. Talk about your bad decision making skills...
  • TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#86 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm with Kenny on the squirrels, hence the term "squirrely".  The dang tree rats make 40 decisions and the first one was the correct one.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#87 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Kinda like squirrels? Not many mammals respond to an overwhelming threat approaching directly at them at high speed by hopping out in front of it. Talk about your bad decision making skills...

How about armadillos that seem to jump up when they are under a speeding car. :uglystupid2:

#88 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Not seen while caching, but a friend of mine in CA is putting in a new fence and dug crazy deep fence post holes.  They look like 36in deep from the pictures.   A skunk fell in and couldn't get out.  Crazy.

Posted Image

#89 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

This was spotted north of Cleveland on the MBR series yesterday.

http://img.geocachin...59568c5de1d.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 25 August 2013 - 03:34 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#90 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

emu!!!

Posted Image

#91 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

This is true. However, I do know a few people who seem to follow this same type of thinking (or not thinking as it may be)...

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#92 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Okay snake people out there - I pulled a snake out of a hole under a tree this afternoon and I have been wondering what it was ever since.  I was light brown/tanish with dark spots.  From the top I could see that the head was pronouncedly triangular - like it had big fat jowls.  It was only about a foot long but it was really interesting looking - not like any snake I've seen.  Any ideas?  I started googling "snakes in houston" and "snakes with triangular heads" and I am going to have nightmares tonight!

#93 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Okay snake people out there - I pulled a snake out of a hole under a tree this afternoon and I have been wondering what it was ever since.  I was light brown/tanish with dark spots.  From the top I could see that the head was pronouncedly triangular - like it had big fat jowls.  It was only about a foot long but it was really interesting looking - not like any snake I've seen.  Any ideas?  I started googling "snakes in houston" and "snakes with triangular heads" and I am going to have nightmares tonight!

Were the dark spots shaped like Hershey kisses? Did it look like this one? http://www.fcps.edu/...d/AR0123_1l.jpg

#94 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Were the dark spots shaped like Hershey kisses? Did it look like this one? http://www.fcps.edu/...d/AR0123_1l.jpg

The color isn't quite right.  This is more reddish.  It was lighter tan maybe even cream and the spots were smaller and more blackish.  But the head shape looks right. If I were on Law and Order I would be the worst witness!  UHHHHHH????  I dunnnooo!  (said in a very dopey voice!)

#95 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Did you google it or google image it?  Looking at all the pics may help you find one similar to what you saw.

But WHY would you pull an unknown snake out of a hole?!?!

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#96 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

I didn't get to see the snake because I was about 60' away but I will testify to the LOUD, high-pitched scream R2 let out when she met the snake involuntarily.   :D  :D  :D

• green-eyed likes this

#97 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

I talked with cacher, HoustonHerp, our resident snake expert, and he said from your description it sounds like a baby Texas rat snake. They are more vividly colored when they are babies, but the colors dull as they grow to an adult snake. He aiso said it is about the time of year for them to be about as long as you said. Anyway, just passing the info along. May want to google that...

#98 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

I can picture and hear it in my head now.... oh R2....  :startled:

• rozowski5 likes this
Posted Image

#99 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Sounds like a copperhead to me.  Did it have a yellow tail?

Posted Image

#100 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Did you google it or google image it?  Looking at all the pics may help you find one similar to what you saw.

But WHY would you pull an unknown snake out of a hole?!?!

Yes, I did some googling and I didn't see anything even close.  That was why I started asking you guys since you are smarter than the internet! 

and I was looking for a cache in the hole and digging out leaves.  Mr. Snake got pulled out with the leaves and high tailed it quickly back into his hole while I entertained Kirbydox with my screaming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users