407 replies to this topic

#41 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Or just cache with someone slower than you. Then you only have to outrun THEM. :2funny:

Or, when you see a family of ferral pigs walking through the forest, turn around and trample your geocaching buddy as you try to escape!! True story...ok, said geocacher was not totally trampled but told me to *slow down and stand still*. We had a staring contest with the pigs and thank the geo-gods, the pigs ran off!! Or was it us...I just remember running!!

#42 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

On a serious note, we basically have 3 snakes to fear, or be aware of: Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Coral. Learn to recognize them on youtube or one of the many pages on the Internet. I've heard talk of rattlesnakes here, but never seen or heard one (here) and I'm in the woods a lot.

Next, we have a myriad of stinging insects -all bad, especially if you are allergic to stings. Then there are ticks. Chiggers are a nuisance, but not in the same categoory as the others. I want to add the pus caterpiller too.

Our two bad and dangerous spiders are the black widow and brown recluse. Both look heinous, so anyone with a degree of caution will recognize them as bad.

I guess we can also think about the worst critter we have encountered. Number one worse critter...chiggers. How can an insect so tiny cause so much misery!!

Have to agree. And the worst part is you don't even know you're being attacked until it's too late. At least you can see most of the other threats first.
  • georeyna and Baytown Bert like this

#43 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I concur. If Chiggers aren't high on your list of pests to avoid, you just haven't had em bad enough...This year was like no other in my memory for Chiggers.
  • georeyna and Baytown Bert like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#44 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

http://img.geocachin...4639d40211f.jpg<br /><br />Here is one that hasn't really been covered - enough. Wasp nests suspened in bushes and tall grass. With the weather in full summer mode, these pests can be almost anywhere we roam and in places we do not suspect. More than one geocacher has been stung numerous times by bublebees coming up out of their underground nests too. Yup, that is where bumblebees live - in holes in the ground. HoustonControl was hit five times visiting a cache I eneded up moving, as was Latitude-Attitude.

TXGA SETX Representative

#45 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Several years ago, Debbie of Terratrekkers and I were caching on the southeast side of town and got chased all the way back to the car by very mad bees.  She got stung and that was the end of our caching day.   I've also gotten stung caching  with Stan which made me miserable for the rest of our outing. 

Posted Image

#46 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

During one of our early caching trips to the DFW area--it was March and relatively cool--Tealcat was retrieving the cache and signing the log when she noticed a LOT of bees buzzing around her.  As I said, it was cold, and the bees weren't really aggressive, but we got the heck out of there without getting stung.  The cache has since been moved and the description includes pictures of the bee tree.  http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC24DKV

#47 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Critters seen while caching...

463679_10200775011490724_763014420_o.jpg

'Nuff said!

• georeyna, Baytown Bert and green-eyed like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#48 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

'Nuff said!

Baytown Bert, You know you have to make a *Cletus* cache out of this...this is too funny!!  It could be *Hey Cletus, are them the famous Baytown Quadruplets*  LOL!!! 

• Baytown Bert and Dhaulaghiri like this

#49 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

That is hilarious!!

#50 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

If I didn't already know who was in the group, I'm not sure that I would have recognized 2Katz in the red hair.   That's an awesome picture.  Never a dull moment with Bert in the group.  

Posted Image

#51 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

'Nuff said!

Baytown Bert, You know you have to make a *Cletus* cache out of this...this is too funny!!  It could be *Hey Cletus, are them the famous Baytown Quadruplets*  LOL!!!

Laughed my backside off on this one!!!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#52 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's like a Wendy's audition failed
  • Baytown Bert, 2katz and green-eyed like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#53 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Geocaching6-21-1330_zps682dc8e5.jpg

Today in an LPC in Cleveland.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 21 June 2013 - 06:53 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#54 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Seen in February, 2012.    :buck2:  :buck2:  :buck2:

Attached File  20120217_085442.jpg   258.08KB   49 downloads

Posted Image

#55 teamCull

teamCull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

The Culls recently had a couple of days in Banff, Alberta, Canada.  There was a porcupine near one cache in Lake Louise.  I also saw a marmot, which looks like a hamster on steroids on Sulfur Mountain, a virtual.  Our timing for this trip was most fortunate.  Calgary is presently suffering from rains and flooding.

#56 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

By now, I've seen so many deer and feral pigs that it seems completely natural when I jump them nowadays (like walking through the living room at home with our 2 dogs, one cat, 1 mouse, 2 guinea pigs, and 2 frogs). However, Jamie and I have had lots of other cool animal encounters while caching. I was signing a log off FM 1960 and an armadillo was trotting along the fence line right toward me and got about 3 or 4 feet away before he realized I was there. I've encountered skunks three times, and I always give them a wide berth (I figure they're holding the winnng hand) and several possum. Jamie and I had a horse walk up to us while we were getting a cache on a fenceline in Waco. Pretty horse...he just wanted some lovin'. On the same trip we had a female lab mix dog approach us and was just as sweet as can be. And still yet on that trip we enountered three ostriches about 60 - 70 feet away. Granted, they were on the other side of a fence and were owned by someone, but one of them had eyes so red that he looked evil (or like my late grandfather after a rough night). I've had too many snake enounters (copperheads, rat snakes, corn snakes, water mocassins, and even one rattler, and then a bunch I couldn't identify. Where'e Herp when I need him? I was actually crouched down in a cemetery one night signing a log with my flashlight on, and the cutest gray field mouse climbed onto the roots of the tree next to me and he just sat there looking at me. I've also seen a couple of coyotes (which is rare), and when I wear my headlamp, it drives the dragonflies nuts and they divebomb me (yes, at night). Now, I can tell you the story about the 11-foot gator that apparently wanted to get in my kayak in a popular kayak caching area, but that's going to require you buying me dinner, because I have to include the part about me yelling like a sissy girl, and that takes a ton of humility to do (but the FTF's were worth it). Wildlife encounters and just plain encountering the God-given marvels of nature on this planet are the biggest joy for me...even bigger than FTF chases (except the ones where I beat Log Dawgs).

• Baytown Bert likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#57 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Seen at Hold the wire  GC4A5FY

3a36bc7a-8774-4bec-b3c2-e98b4475d6f5.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 22 June 2013 - 03:31 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#58 idcacher

idcacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPanama City, Florida

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Copperhead? at the Three Amigos LHWP series recently.  Fell out of the tree and scared me nearly to death.Attached File  snake at LHWP.JPG   85.86KB   39 downloads

img.aspx?txt=Caching+and+Hiking.&uid=c08

#59 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

I never think of seeing a copperhead in a tree. Wow.

TXGA SETX Representative

#60 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

I never think of seeing a copperhead in a tree. Wow.

Maybe the copperhead wasn't used to being in a tree either and that's why it fell out. 

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users