• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#21 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Fortunately spiderwebs can mostly be avoided by keeping an eye out for them and avoiding the spiderweb-season. (I'd really love someone to tell me when that is in Texas :P)

Simple. It starts January 1st and runs until December 31st.
  • amberita13 likes this
Posted Image

#22 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

I saw this little fella protecting a cache a few months ago. I'm not sure if he would have bitten me but he looked like he was about ready to leap for my jugular at any second.
Posted Image

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#23 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

A fellow I worked with was bitten on the neck by a brown recluse. He ended up losing a toe!

A fellow I know got bitten on the back of his neck by a brown recluse. He ended up dying from it.
There is no adventure without risk.

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

We spotted this guy in a cemetery in North Texas back in June. It was BIG!

Posted Image
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

I've written an expert to help me identify my spider and after looking at photos, I think it is in the Araneus family.

http://i86.photobuck...LargeSpider.jpg

TXGA SETX Representative

#26 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Fortunately spiderwebs can mostly be avoided by keeping an eye out for them and avoiding the spiderweb-season. (I'd really love someone to tell me when that is in Texas :P)

Thanks! I'm sure all of my fears have just been put at ease ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#27 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I showed HoustonHerp my spider photo today and I think he positively identified my spider as a Bola spider.

TXGA SETX Representative

#28 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

I saw this little fella protecting a cache a few months ago. I'm not sure if he would have bitten me but he looked like he was about ready to leap for my jugular at any second.
Posted Image

A few years back I was attempting a night cache near a cemetery in Bosque County. I found a couple of the reflectors, but lost the trail. I wandered a bit, shining my light around until I spotted something glinting back at me from 50 yards away. The reflector didn't look very big, but it was pretty bright so I figured the firetack was partially obscured by a leaf or something. I walked all the way up to it, only to find my light was reflecting off the eye of a spider similar to the one in this picture! It was freaky bright!

Never did find the cache.

#29 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I remember taking my Girl Scout troop on spider hunts at night because you could see their eyes reflecting back. The girls all thought it was pretty cool.
Posted Image

#30 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

We saw lots of spider eyes on the CLAPS Night Paddle Event, too. And on the Owl Prowl at Armand Bayou Nature Center, they took the scouts on the deck over the grass prairie and you could see zillions of the green wolf spider eyes shining back. It pretty much made me never want to walk in the grass again.
Posted Image

#31 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Back during the Texas Challenge 2007, (Brazos Bend) when we were walking back from the night cache, we shined the light into the water and saw dozens upon dozens of gator eyes staring back at us. Let me just say that after seeing that, we made the remaining trip as a huddled mass.
Posted Image

#32 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Edited by Baytown Bert, 10 December 2012 - 07:17 AM.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#33 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Dhaulagahri,

George Bush Park will introduce you to every critter known to man. Alligators, snakes, ferral pigs, spiders, ants coyote's, night time ninjas...just to name a few. You will get use to it..spider on you shoulder will not scare you anymore, you will ask if it will join you for the hike! You will see a snake and instead of running, you will stand there and stare at it...like all the Houston Geocachers do, we all stand around it and poke at it. :2funny: True story!!

Two words of advice. Practice your climbing tree skills, just incase a ferral pig charges at you and if you see an alligator (and it is looking at you like you will be his noon time meal)...run, don't stand there and take pictures of it like Criffree, turn yourself around and run!! LOL!!

#34 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Or just cache with someone slower than you. Then you only have to outrun THEM. :2funny:
  • Baytown Bert and mztrob like this

#35 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Dhaulagahri,

George Bush Park will introduce you to every critter known to man. Alligators, snakes, ferral pigs, spiders, ants coyote's, night time ninjas...just to name a few. You will get use to it..spider on you shoulder will not scare you anymore, you will ask if it will join you for the hike! You will see a snake and instead of running, you will stand there and stare at it...like all the Houston Geocachers do, we all stand around it and poke at it. :2funny: True story!!

Two words of advice. Practice your climbing tree skills, just incase a ferral pig charges at you and if you see an alligator (and it is looking at you like you will be his noon time meal)...run, don't stand there and take pictures of it like Criffree, turn yourself around and run!! LOL!!

Snakes & Gators don't scare me too much, I'm quite positive I know what to do when I'd encounter one. But as for spiders, it's just a personal thing, just hate the creepers.
And my tree-climbing skills fortunately are quite up to par, LOL.

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#36 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Or just cache with someone slower than you. Then you only have to outrun THEM. :2funny:

I'd love to hatch on to this plan, but most of the time it's my wife caching with me.... and I did marry her by choice..... :angel:

#37 LDB

LDB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Rules to live by, all snakes are poisonous and along with all spiders are demons. That should be a third category in addition to difficulty and terrain, likelihood of demon snakes/spiders.

#38 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Some snakes are VENOMOUS, but it is okay to eat them, as none of them are poisonous. LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#39 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

On a serious note, we basically have 3 snakes to fear, or be aware of: Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Coral. Learn to recognize them on youtube or one of the many pages on the Internet. I've heard talk of rattlesnakes here, but never seen or heard one (here) and I'm in the woods a lot.

Next, we have a myriad of stinging insects -all bad, especially if you are allergic to stings. Then there are ticks. Chiggers are a nuisance, but not in the same categoory as the others. I want to add the pus caterpiller too.

Our two bad and dangerous spiders are the black widow and brown recluse. Both look heinous, so anyone with a degree of caution will recognize them as bad.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 11 December 2012 - 10:42 AM.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#40 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

On a serious note, we basically have 3 snakes to fear, or be aware of: Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Coral. Learn to recognize them on youtube or one of the many pages on the Internet. I've heard talk of rattlesnakes here, but never seen or heard one (here) and I'm in the woods a lot.

Next, we have a myriad of stinging insects -all bad, especially if you are allergic to stings. Then there are ticks. Chiggers are a nuisance, but not in the same categoory as the others. I want to add the pus caterpiller too.

Our two bad and dangerous spiders are the black widow and brown recluse. Both look heinous, so anyone with a degree of caution will recognize them as bad.

I guess we can also think about the worst critter we have encountered. Number one worse critter...chiggers. How can an insect so tiny cause so much misery!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users