• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:09 AM

Critters seen ....         :notme:

post-1605-0-56197600-1399788477.jpg

Attached File  IMG_2846.JPG   159.91KB   11 downloads

Edited by 2katz, 11 May 2014 - 12:17 AM.

• KeyResults, TexasWriter and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#322 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Critters seen ....         :notme:

attachicon.gifIMG_2846.JPG

There were just so many things I wanted to say...

• green-eyed and Jhawk! like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#323 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yesterday in Pundt Park.  There were two of them and Lola tried to do the tango with them.

549cfda1-8782-434c-9c79-785ba51fcb3e.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#324 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

That looked more like break dancing she was doing with them. Heck, man, she was down there AMONGST them!  :)

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#325 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

This one was at LHWP yesterday, it thought it wanted to use the same trail my wife, daughter, geopup, and myself were using while caching, wrong! Don't intend to offend anyone, but if at all possible, any Copperhead that I see is probably going to meet his demise.

Attached File  5-11-14 Copperhead 2.jpg   470.85KB   3 downloads

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#326 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

No problem.  Unless it is in my flower bed and venomous, I walk around any and all snakes I see.  They are beneficial to the environment and I am just passing through.  I almost stepped on a coral snake at BBSP and I stopped and tried to get a photo before it slithered off.

TXGA SETX Representative

#327 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

I've killed one of those that made it's way into a hotel stairwell that my son almost picked up (he thought it was a toy snake) and another that somehow got into my kitchen.  If they're outdoors where they're supposed to be and not threatening anyone, I'll leave them be.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#328 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

This one was at LHWP yesterday, it thought it wanted to use the same trail my wife, daughter, geopup, and myself were using while caching, wrong! Don't intend to offend anyone, but if at all possible, any Copperhead that I see is probably going to meet his demise.

attachicon.gif5-11-14 Copperhead 2.jpg

Why would you do something like that?!? My wife is terrified of snakes and we actually ran into one at LHWP this Sunday too (don't know what species it was, but I think it might have been a Rat Snake). It was sitting right in the middle of the trail we were riding on. I stopped us both and tried to get a little closer to see if I could snap a picture, but it slithered off into the woods as soon as I tried to get my camera closer.

I understand taking 'care' of snakes in an urban environment (and even then I would prefer to have someone relocate them instead of killing them) but out in a nature environment like LHWP?!? It's not doing anybody any harm, and remember: WE are guests in THEIR natural habitat! 

I am strongly opposed to killing ANY animal (well, maybe except ticks & mosquito's) when we cachers run into them while out enjoying the great outdoors.

• cachestacker, Baytown Bert and 2katz like this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#329 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

Why would you do something like that?!? My wife is terrified of snakes and we actually ran into one at LHWP this Sunday too (don't know what species it was, but I think it might have been a Rat Snake). It was sitting right in the middle of the trail we were riding on. I stopped us both and tried to get a little closer to see if I could snap a picture, but it slithered off into the woods as soon as I tried to get my camera closer.

I understand taking 'care' of snakes in an urban environment (and even then I would prefer to have someone relocate them instead of killing them) but out in a nature environment like LHWP?!? It's not doing anybody any harm, and remember: WE are guests in THEIR natural habitat! 

I am strongly opposed to killing ANY animal (well, maybe except ticks & mosquito's) when we cachers run into them while out enjoying the great outdoors.

I respect your opinion sir, though it obviously differs from mine. How about this for a compromise, I won't question your opinion on why you wouldn't kill a snake, or ANY other animal for that matter, and you don't question mine. Besides, I'm fond of ticks and mosquito's, but's that's my opinion and I'll keep it to myself...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#330 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Let's keep it civil. No need to fill our panties with chiggers.

• Baytown Bert, TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri and 1 other like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#331 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Speaking of critters and chiggers...  I found a bunch of them on a cache I did last week but I'll spare you by not showing the photographic evidence.    :wacko:

• Dhaulaghiri and Jhawk! like this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#332 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

I respect your opinion sir, though it obviously differs from mine. How about this for a compromise, I won't question your opinion on why you wouldn't kill a snake, or ANY other animal for that matter, and you don't question mine. Besides, I'm fond of ticks and mosquito's, but's that's my opinion and I'll keep it to myself...

Thank you for respecting my opinion (and I will respect yours) *getting off his high horse*, I may have worded mine a little strongly, but I stand by it nonetheless.
What interests me most is why?

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#333 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Critters seen while caching:  Two grown men locking velvet horns.  :2funny:

• Team Four Paw, TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri and 2 others like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#334 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

My mother lives in the country... we will kill the venomous snakes only if we come across them in the yard because they've done some serious damage to our dogs in the past. One had to be put down. They tend to be more aggressive and will not always back down from a curious dog. The others we leave be. Mom ran across a HUGE rat snake in the downed limb of a cedar tree a few weeks ago. She snapped a pic for Facebook and mentioned she hadn't seen any rodents lately so she she just left the big guy alone. :)

Me? I won't kill snakes on the trail because 1) I don't want to get that close and 2) if it's in my way I'll toss a stick or stone at it and it'll usually just go away. No harm no foul. Now if one ever bites me, it's toast. ;-)

• TexasWriter likes this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#335 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Me? I won't kill snakes on the trail because 1) I don't want to get that close and 2) if it's in my way I'll toss a stick or stone at it and it'll usually just go away. No harm no foul. Now if one ever bites me, it's toast. ;-)

1. Well..... too close for my wife would be half a mile! Me, although I try to keep a safe distance I also am too curious for my own good and I like to see what kind it is.

2. Ditto, sometimes trying to get closer to snap a picture seems to be enough

3. Yep, if it does happen to get close enough to bite me I see no other option then capturing/killing the bugger to take with me to the hospital for identification.

• Jhawk! likes this

#336 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Snakes bring out an unreasonable fear in folks, as do spiders and other things (clowns, guys who look like Hank Hill, as examples) and that is why they kill them.  Venomous snakes are want to fang something they want to eat and every time they do, there is a chance they will break a fang.  To bite a human is a last resort usually and giving them a wide berth should be the best option.  When placing the Brawndo series in Baytown,m I came within 4 feet of a fat mature moccasin.  I stood my ground and it did too.  I took a photo and stepped back top change the setting to movie and when I looked up, it was gone.  I backed up about 50 feet and continued past it.  It was so humid, my glasses were fogging up.

TXGA SETX Representative

#337 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Snakes bring out an unreasonable fear in folks, as do spiders and other things (clowns, guys who look like Hank Hill, as examples) and that is why they kill them.  

I'm scared of puzzle caches, newbie hides, and multis that require that I drive 30 miles between stages (ahem...)

• Baytown Bert, Dhaulaghiri and Jhawk! like this

#338 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

I'm scared of Devil's Walking Sticks.  With all the blood thinners I'm on now, I'd bleed out before I could find a band-aid!

Well, that and 12' red kayaks that are red and 12 feet long... :angel:

• cachestacker, Baytown Bert, TexasWriter and 3 others like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#339 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

I didn't have time to get a picture, but this was last night's encounter with wildlife. I wish the time I helped catch a monkey in the parking lot of US Toy would've been caching related. A story for another time...

FTF. Well that was a first. I've never been T-boned on my bike by an armadillo. More later
I was dozing on the couch and getting ready to head off to bed (early morning work meeting) when this one published. I've been out near GZ before when chasing some other caches/letterboxes by the CO, so I basically knew what the pursuit would entail. I loaded up my bike, headed over, parked at the parking coordinates, and rode my bike out toward GZ. As I was riding along, something caught my eye at the edge of the trail on my left, and it was moving fast toward me. It was an armadillo (I call them "possum on the halfshell"). Before I could even brake very much, this stupid creature had plowed into the front tire of my bike, almost making me wipe out. How he didn't get something caught in the spokes of my bike tire is beyond me, but since it was dark and it happened so fast, I'll just chalk it up to one of life's great mysteries. T-boned by an armadillo....

Anyway, after that little wildlife encounter, I made my way to within 60 feet of GZ, parked the bike, and walked right to the cache. I was showing about 18 feet on coordinates, but with the margin of satellite shift that occurs in the trees, that was plenty close enough. For whatever reason, the particular tree clump called to me immediately, so I never looked anywhere else. Quick and easy. The only problem I had was that my self-inking stamp appears to have gotten wet at some point and needs a need print pad inserted. Minor detail. I just used my pen to jot down the find on the nice blank log. 

Thanks to the CO for another smiley, another jaunt in the area, and another wildlife encounter. TFTLB!

http://coord.info/GLE76FWJ

• Baytown Bert likes this

#340 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

LOL Glad you and the armadillo made it out of that encounter safely! 

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users