#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I encountered this large bodied spider yesterday in the woods close to The Woodlands on 242. I tried to get a photo of it in its web and it ran up the heavy web and grabbed the limb and snugged itself up under it to appear as if it was a seed or gall. It's body is about the size of a quarter, with thick heavy legs. In the photo, it is looking at me with its head close to the limb.

One exactly like this in shape and size fell out of a tree while I was hiking in Brazos Bend State Park four years ago and bounced off my hat and hit the path, all curled up. It was the size of a pecan. Do you have any idea what it is and feel free to send the photo around.

http://i86.photobuck...LargeSpider.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 03 December 2012 - 11:21 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

This large tree frog let me take it's photo and it was also on the 242 series of caches.

http://img.geocachin...192f0f4ca1c.jpg

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Send it to houstonherp. He's very knowledgeable about things found in the great outdoors whether flora or fauna (snakes in particular as the name would suggest).
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#4 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

I spotted several of those tree frogs yesterday while looking for a cache.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

http://img.geocachin...525c2b3274a.jpg

Dark side of the moon cache - black widow spider

http://coord.info/GL9WFN3F Rambetta was at this skirt-lifter maybe 30 minutes ahead of me and did not see the spider that was lurking there.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

http://img.geocachin...525c2b3274a.jpg

Dark side of the moon cache - black widow spider

http://coord.info/GL...WFN3F��Rambetta was at this skirt-lifter maybe 30 minutes ahead of me and did not see the spider that was lurking there.

Lots of them around. I never figured out why they are so fond of guardrails though.

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Dang terrible spider bite:

•Local pain may be followed by localized or generalized severe muscle cramps, abdominal pain, weakness, and tremor. Large muscle groups (such as shoulder or back) are often affected, resulting in considerable pain. In severe cases, nausea, vomiting, fainting, dizziness, chest pain, and respiratory difficulties may follow.

•The severity of the reaction depends on the age and physical condition of the person bitten. Children and the elderly are more seriously affected than young adults.

•In some cases, abdominal pain may mimic such conditions as appendicitis or gallbladder problems. Chest pain may be mistaken for a heart attack.

•Blood pressure and heart rate may be elevated. The elevation of blood pressure can lead to one of the most severe complications.

•People rarely die from a black widow's bite. Life-threatening reactions are generally seen only in small children and the elderly.

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Bert,

I'm thinking the big brown spider is a Wolf Spider. They actually are quite common, and their bite does hurt, a lot, but they are pretty timid otherwise. They get pretty darned big, and sometimes mistaken for Tarantulas.

The only spider that truly frightens me is the Brown Recluse. A young mother I knew from work was bitten on the rear-end years ago, and you wouldn't believe how much damage that little spider bite did to that woman! Surgeries and skin transplants over a 3 year period and lots of pain. It's venom is some kind of flesh damaging neuro toxin that takes out the nerves permanently. It wasn't lethal, but that spider bite sure changed her life. Geographically, she didn't even know where she was bitten as the nasty reaction was somewhat delayed. No thank you!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#9 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I saw a copperhead out yesterday as it was getting dark. I had been tromping through the vegetation and bushwhacking, all the time thinking about snakes. When I got back to the paved pathway, a copperhead was crossing it. I thought it was funny to run into him on the pavement after crawling through the dense vegetation and putting my feet where I could not see them.

I didn't see any spiders though.

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

This is definitely not a wolf spider. I know them quite well. This is much more compact, like a dark cherry with thick legs. The only spiders I am hyper aware of are the brown recluse and the black widow. I actually fear them.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Bert,

I'm thinking the big brown spider is a Wolf Spider. They actually are quite common, and their bite does hurt, a lot, but they are pretty timid otherwise. They get pretty darned big, and sometimes mistaken for Tarantulas.

The only spider that truly frightens me is the Brown Recluse. A young mother I knew from work was bitten on the rear-end years ago, and you wouldn't believe how much damage that little spider bite did to that woman! Surgeries and skin transplants over a 3 year period and lots of pain. It's venom is some kind of flesh damaging neuro toxin that takes out the nerves permanently. It wasn't lethal, but that spider bite sure changed her life. Geographically, she didn't even know where she was bitten as the nasty reaction was somewhat delayed. No thank you!

A fellow I worked with was bitten on the neck by a brown recluse. He ended up losing a toe!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

In Jones forest, I saw a roadrunner and a woodcock - the first I've ever seen in the wild.

http://www.desertusa...os/IMG_7639.jpg

http://www.lloydspit...oodcock_mg_5249

(I can't link the words here at work, so I am posting links.)

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

In Jones forest, I saw a roadrunner and a woodcock - the first I've ever seen in the wild.

http://www.desertusa...os/IMG_7639.jpg

http://www.lloydspit...oodcock_mg_5249

(I can't link the words here at work, so I am posting links.)

You were very lucky to spot the them. I've lived around Conroe for 30 years and have only seen roadrunners in the area twice that I can remember. I don't think I've ever come across a woodcock here.

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

The woodcock was spotted when my Bride and I were bushwhacking back to this one:

http://coord.info/GC2T4BA

I know you've done it (04/18/2011) and it is remote.

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

How much wood could a woodcock cock if a woodcock could cock wood?
  • thacatfish likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#16 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Haha

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

...a toothpick? Did I win?

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Haha

Haven't heard from you in a while, Jason! Doing OK?

#19 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

So far I haven't seen too many critters while caching, but it's not a thing I'd like to change quickly either!

Just after thanksgiving we were in Lost Maples State Park and this big Tarantula-like spider crossed the path in front of us, it actually stopped because of us and put it's front legs up as if in warning.

It was pretty cool to see it up close like this, but I REALLY wouldn't want to have one fall down on me or anything like that, as most people do I HATE spiderwebs & things falling out of trees on top of me.
Fortunately spiderwebs can mostly be avoided by keeping an eye out for them and avoiding the spiderweb-season. (I'd really love someone to tell me when that is in Texas :P)

As for other animals: I was out in GBP yesterday and at some point I probably disturbed some kind of animal, 'cause it scurried away from me real quick, I didn't see it very clearly, but it looked like a coyote or something. Are they out there in GBP?
It sure as hell would explain all the animal bones & skeletons I saw all over the place.D:\foto\Houston 2012-2013\Thanksgivingweekend\PB240050

Attached Files

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#20 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Been busy Bob. Been doing some caching but just got a whole lot going on right now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users