#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

For some reason, all 150+ of my hides in the area are showing up in my Garmin 450 as not being found, causing me to wade through screen after screen to find anything new. What can a mother do?

Posted Image

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,835 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

How do you put them in the Garmin? Are you downloading PQ's to GSAK and then uploading to the unit? Unless you need them in your GPSr for some reason, I just filter out my hides before uploading. Acutally, I filter out my hides in the PQ.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

If your own hides are in same GSAK DB as your unfound caches then u just need to filter your hides via the "Placed by" dropdown box before sending to GPS. Placed by is useful since it will pick up ones you may have a hand in, but aren't actually the primary. It's different than "Owner Name" which means you as primary only. Anyway, just choose "does not contain" and your caching name and that should exclude them from view in either case.

One strategy is to keep your hidden caches in a separate DB, but I prefer everything in one DB and then use filters instead, but that's just me.

Another thing I do is keep my "myFinds" as waypoints, which are treated differently from geocaches on the Garmin. There are some pros and cons to this. Anyway, there is no reason you cannot do the same with your hide too.

If your Garmin unit is a model that uses the external memory card it is a pretty cool trick to create a card with your hides, another with your finds, and yet another with any combination of things your wish. The obvious advantage to using external microSD cards is that you can change caches and waypoints and custom trail maps, in the field at anytime without a computer. Of course, the smart phones can do most of this via internet on the fly, but still it's worth considering as a viable option now that microSD cards have gotten so cheap online and at Fry's

Edited by KeyResults, 30 October 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#4 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

You can put your hides into a separate database and periodicity load them as points of interest instead of geocaches. Alternatively, set up a filter called "Huntable," or whatever you want it to be, that filters out anything you normally don't want to see in your GPS. In my case it is temporarily unavailable caches and puzzle caches. Setting up a custom filter is easy in GSAK, Ctrl-F brings up the filter dialog box, You can set the Owners Name field to "Not Equal To" and put you caching name in the text box.

Save it and give it your name, then apply the filter when transferring the caches.

Edited by Great Birds, 30 October 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,835 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Is the object to have your owned caches in your GPSr along with one's your are hunting (so you can find them when doing impromptu maintenance)? If that's the case, you could keep them in a separate database and set the cache status of each to "Found" in GSAK. Load this database separately into your GPSr. The caches would then show up as open treasure chests on the map, but shouldn't come up when you click on "Find" & "Geocaches" (62s speak, I'm not sure if the Oregon is like that), or on "Find Next Closest" when in Geocaching mode.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... :uglystupid2:

Edited by HoustonControl, 30 October 2012 - 02:24 PM.

• Baytown Bert likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Ctrl-F brings up the filter dialog box, You can set the Owners Name field to "Not Equal To" and put you caching name in the text box.

Save it and give it your name, then apply the filter when transferring the caches.

I also set a radius on my saved filter so that I don't send all 6,000 houston area caches to my GPS. I haven't tested it in a while, but there was a time when my GPS choked on too many caches.
Posted Image

#7 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Ctrl-F brings up the filter dialog box, You can set the Owners Name field to "Not Equal To" and put you caching name in the text box.

I also set a radius on my saved filter so that I don't send all 6,000 houston area caches to my GPS. I haven't tested it in a while, but there was a time when my GPS choked on too many caches.

I might also add, that for out of town databases where I don't have that many, I just double click the white box at the bottom to immediately filter for unfound caches before sending to my GPS.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users