40 replies to this topic

#21 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

January 19 & 20 that would work for me thatis MLK weekend what ya'll think? anyone want to do this?

Kajun Kacher

I've been trying the SMILE-series myself, found a couple but it was a bit too much bushwhacking to do all by myself & the missus didn't enjoy it at all, so if you're planning on doing it on a friday I'd be happy to go along!

Just let me know and we can set something up!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#22 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Why not set a date and post it in the Metro mash-up section in advance and you might get a good group of folks to go with you?

TXGA SETX Representative

#23 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

So -- is anyone going to go for the TEXAS and the SMILEY. I am not available on the 25-27 of Jan but would like to meet up if there is a group going.

#24 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

So -- is anyone going to go for the TEXAS and the SMILEY. I am not available on the 25-27 of Jan but would like to meet up if there is a group going.

That would be a tremendous feat. ~4 miles for the smiley, and ~8 miles for Texas.
Whew!
Posted Image

#25 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

That would be a tremendous feat. ~4 miles for the smiley, and ~8 miles for Texas.
Whew!

I think my GPS mileage for TEXAS was closer to 11 counting a few stray caches on the hike back to the parking area. Doing both in one day would be quite an accomplishment.

#26 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Whew!

I think my GPS mileage for TEXAS was closer to 11 counting a few stray caches on the hike back to the parking area. Doing both in one day would be quite an accomplishment.

~11 miles is about right if you don't put a car at each end of the TEXAS.
Posted Image

#27 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Personally, I think it is too much and Ive done Texas once and Smiley twice. However, if it is cool and the grass and weeds are low, it could be done...but why? Why not make a good mash-up of them at different times and just enjoy them separately for what they are? JMO

TXGA SETX Representative

#28 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I had eleven miles for TEXAS and seven for the smiley.

#29 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Personally, I think it is too much and Ive done Texas once and Smiley twice. However, if it is cool and the grass and weeds are low, it could be done...but why? Why not make a good mash-up of them at different times and just enjoy them separately for what they are? JMO

Unfortunately, in the burned area, the weeds and thorns came back with a vengeance. The weeds are waist to head high in places. :blackeye:
Posted Image

#30 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well, there you go. Unless a person just has the need to abuse themselves, do them one at a time. A whole bunch of GB park is still unfound by me and I would be interested about March or April of mashing up to go after them.

TXGA SETX Representative

#31 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Well, there you go. Unless a person just has the need to abuse themselves, do them one at a time. A whole bunch of GB park is still unfound by me and I would be interested about March or April of mashing up to go after them.

Me three!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#32 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

I can't see a route through all that mess of area, unless it's something like the Noble Road, or the Alphabet soup, Huge Smiley, and TEXAS, all of which I've done and then there are those danged puzzle caches there. It's all so intimidating to a country feller like myself...

TXGA SETX Representative

#33 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

While I just joined HGCS this week and reading up on the posts, We (Wildbabe & I) have been thinking very seriously of trying to do both. If any of you are going to go as a group, big or small. We'd definitely might want to venture it with you.

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

img.aspx?&uid=4b9d9c59-54d9-4f4d-b418-04

#34 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Me three!

Me four.

But there is no way I am going back through TEXAS again. That is just too much like work.

#35 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

My guess is that these are going to be under water for a while.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I know on One Huge Smiley somewhere around the eyes, it will be a lake right now. I did it twice when it was hot and dry and walked right across the area that would normally be full of water.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 10 January 2013 - 06:52 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#37 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

When we did it there was lots of water.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think the south half of the Smiley is under water, and the east end of the TEXAS will be somewhat wet.

The west end of TEXAS may be above water, but there are quite a few wet spots in there, too.

Posted Image

#39 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Anybody been by the area lately to see the condition of the terrain?

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

img.aspx?&uid=4b9d9c59-54d9-4f4d-b418-04

#40 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Anybody been by the area lately to see the condition of the terrain?

I was in Bear Creek Park yesterday and it was actually pretty well dried out, even in the areas which normally have standing water after rainfall.

It has been a couple of weeks since I was near the 'S' of the TEXAS-series and that was pretty dry at that moment.

You got plans on going?

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users