#21 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'll give you the confirmed answer for shuttle service O0

The simpler solution is just follow the group. ;)

Also -- for anyone who has not done The Hazelnuts' Drowned Stream EarthCache, you can do this one from the water. Check up on it! http://coord.info/GC1R1CA
  • KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#22 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Sorry Taz 2 boats is all I can handle. Looking into a trailer for future though.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#23 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I must say kudos Cachestacker on the excellent documentation of these CLAPS series. Wow. Very helpful.

Edited by KeyResults, 30 November 2012 - 10:39 AM.

• cachestacker likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#24 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I must say kudos Cachestacker on the excellent documentation of these CLAPS series. Wow. Very helpful.

I highly agree!! O0 Kenny is referring to this post that is pinned under Geocaching : CLAPS FAQ and Status
I highly recommend you look at the .pdf files and print them out if you are going to do the CLAPS caches. The maps are particularly helpful in planning your time on the water. I am always referring to the maps and I've done the different series (and own part of one) several times! O0

#25 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Sorry Taz 2 boats is all I can handle. Looking into a trailer for future though.

I should have clarified. I'll be bringing a Yak and plan to drop it off at Bay Area Park and then drop my truck off at Clear Lake Park and would need a ride back to Bay Area Park. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people and I'll get a ride one way or another.

As cachestacker said, I'm sure plenty of people will be going for it. I'll hazard a guess that the final is in the cove north of Claps #6 :coolsmiley: this based on where the chirp is and what's close by and can still meet the 528' requirement.

Posted Image Posted Image

#26 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'll hazard a guess that the final is in the cove north of Claps #6 :coolsmiley: this based on where the chirp is and what's close by and can still meet the 528' requirement.

Well, technically, it is North of CLAPS 6, but not in that cove. That cove is shallow enough that it's difficult to get 6 unless you time the tide right anyway. The final is closer to CLAPS C. So we'll be making a loop at the night event, sticking to the correct sides to hit the first stage and the final on the way back. Assuming someone solves it. ;)
Posted Image

#27 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'll hazard a guess that the final is in the cove north of Claps #6 :coolsmiley: this based on where the chirp is and what's close by and can still meet the 528' requirement.

Well, technically, it is North of CLAPS 6, but not in that cove. That cove is shallow enough that it's difficult to get 6 unless you time the tide right anyway. The final is closer to CLAPS C. So we'll be making a loop at the night event, sticking to the correct sides to hit the first stage and the final on the way back. Assuming someone solves it. ;)

Yea Yea I solved it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Is anyone qualifying for the challenge during the event? Want to make sure I bring enough challenge tags. Not bringing my full stash.
Posted Image

#29 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

So if I'm reading this correctly, the plan is to start at Bay Area Park go down one side and back up the other side and returning to Bay Area Park? No, shuttling between parks needed? I feel a bit like an idiot now, so I guess it's status quo :uglystupid2:

Edited by TAZ427, 30 November 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#30 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yep. "In that regard, the paddling event group will tend to stay to the south-east of the boat launch at Bay Area Park (see waypoint). We'll return there when done, so parking at Bay Area Park is appropriate."

LOL. But it didn't phase me at all, because historically we've gone out to CLAPS G/H/I area and back. Some have wanted to do more of the Alphabet ones (K apparently is a much-needed D/T find for some people) and people have broken off from the gorup at that point and gone that way before. But to ensure the group gets back in plenty of time and gets out of the park before it closes, and so the renters get back by 9:30, we usually u-turn by then (depending upon wind/weather). But if you want, I'm sure we can get you hooked up for shuttle service if you want to keep going out that way.

I know HC had said he was going to do CLAPS II before the event. Patty had talked about going that direction at night. Patty, you still doing that?
Posted Image

#31 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Is anyone qualifying for the challenge during the event? Want to make sure I bring enough challenge tags. Not bringing my full stash.

Looks like Kenny and I will have more than 25, working at least three different series, tomorrow night. Wahoo!!
Posted Image

#32 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yep. "In that regard, the paddling event group will tend to stay to the south-east of the boat launch at Bay Area Park (see waypoint). We'll return there when done, so parking at Bay Area Park is appropriate."

LOL. But it didn't phase me at all, because historically we've gone out to CLAPS G/H/I area and back. Some have wanted to do more of the Alphabet ones (K apparently is a much-needed D/T find for some people) and people have broken off from the gorup at that point and gone that way before. But to ensure the group gets back in plenty of time and gets out of the park before it closes, and so the renters get back by 9:30, we usually u-turn by then (depending upon wind/weather). But if you want, I'm sure we can get you hooked up for shuttle service if you want to keep going out that way.

I know HC had said he was going to do CLAPS II before the event. Patty had talked about going that direction at night. Patty, you still doing that?

My problem is I tend not to read everything, well one of my problems at least :idiot2:

I'm fine with turning back at that point. I would like to sneak over and grab the CLAPS IV: #9 if we head in that way so I have a cache from a third CLAPS series and qualify for your CLAPS Challenge Cache. I did CLAPS V series earlier in the year, so I'll have more than 25 before the night is out, but only on 2 series. If not, I can wait for another CLAPS CITO to claim it.

#33 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Wasn't planning on going that direction, but we can see what the group wants to do. What I recall from last year was a $#!t-load of gators in Horsepen bayou and the getting from 7 (didn't even try 6) to IV #9. More than I had ever seen in one place before. Someone paddled one while paddling. Lots of stressed paddlers. Good times.
Posted Image

#34 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

I plan on following anyone who has solved anything. Should I bring my machete?

TXGA SETX Representative

#35 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I plan on following anyone who has solved anything. Should I bring my machete?

Only for gator protection. :2funny:
Posted Image

#36 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I might see if I can get down there a bit early and grab a couple from CLAPS II, depends on when I get my Honey Do's done.

#37 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've had a few e-mails asking me about the route. So this is the intended route, which is subject to change based upon wind, weather, and general ability of the paddlers:

Launch from Bay Area Park:

A
B
Birds Stage 1
E
F
G
I
H
U-turn
D
C
EC - Drowned Stream
Birds Final
Back to Bay Area Park.

Given the timing of low tide, getting to Horsepen doens't seem practical from an easy-to-do or time standpoint. That's also why we'll skip 8. The rest should be on a fine to fun rating, with a possibility of someone getting wet. ;)

Hope this helps.
Posted Image

#38 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

You are such a nerd, Kevin. LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#39 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Once again my plans for the claps events have been ruined. My wife forgot I had this planned and scheduled something I can't miss. I guess the claps and me just aren't meant to be.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

It'll happen... one day. :-\
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic