12 replies to this topic

#1 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have just been told I will be going overseas on a trip for work. I will have a 2 hour layover in France on the way there and 2 hour layover in Amersterdam on the way back. I really really want to get caches at the airports along the way and have looked to see if there is any caches near or in the airports. I am nervous to be gone and it elude me, take me to a dangerous area or I miss my next flight. (I guess I want to prepare myself for the worst and be happy for the find).

Before I started caching, for various reasons I have been all over the United States but the closest I have gone outside the U.S. is walking across the border to Mexico. I do have a bit of excitement and nerves for going overseas and want to leave prepared to get some caches in addition to the work I have to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions or hints for getting caches while traveling or areas that might make you nervous.

#2 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Fear not! Both France and Amsterdam are fantastic places for geocaching.

The euros are very into this game!
My friend, Mario, the KLM pilot who lives in Netherlands is a terrific info source and can coach you on Amsterdam for sure ( Schiphol Airport).
We cached together in Hou a few times and I know he'd like to reciprocate by helping a Houstonian in the Netherlands.

Which Airport in France?

Anyway, PM me for his contact info if you are interested in this option.

Edited by KeyResults, 21 October 2012 - 08:03 AM.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#3 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Two hours doesn't seem like much time for getting away from the airport to cache considering if you leave you have to get back through security. Maybe some of the more experienced traveler abroad have some tips for you, but I don't know whether I'd risk leaving the airport.
Posted Image

#4 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

For the airport, two hours is pushing it. Although leaving security is not a problem because for flights from Europe to the US security is done at the gate so you will have to go through security again regardless. I know there is a cache right outside the central train station (I have a smilie on it) but not sure what is around the airport.

You said these trips were lay overs. Where is your final destination?

Eagle
Posted Image

#5 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

My ultimate destination is Bucharest Romania. I have been scotting out which caches might be good there if I am given any time after work to cache.

I am glad you all are saying that 2 hours isn't long. I thought that and thought maybe I was being a little nervous for someone who isn't used to traveling overseas. The caches I have looked at for the two layovers I am thinking are close (one I think someone said was a half hour but wasn't sure if that was half hour round trip or each way). I will have to look up those again and post here to see if anyone is familiar with them.

Kenny, I will send you a PM. Thanks for the info/help.

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

If your layover in Paris is at Charles de Gaulle, it may take you two hours just to change terminals! Key Results is right, Mario (Kesj-Sjeng) is the best!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

I've done this once or twice. I like to have at LEAST 4 or 5 hours before I'm willing to leave the airport.
What I'm more likely to do is get myself bumped off a flight when they are oversold. There are lots of tricks to doing this, but most important is just be NICE to the gate agent and sit within 5 feet of the desk and talk to them before they are need to make the final call. Sometimes I get the bump without them do a PA announcement and they just wave me over to get the new tickets. When my schedule allows it, I am always willing to get the next morning's flight out.
Posted Image

#8 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

TravelingGeek, DUH! why didn't I think of that!! I have hoped for that on trips in the U.S. and only had it happen once. I would be definitely game for it.

I just received information that the flight coming back would probably be changed and will be through Germany with even less time so I guess I definitely I would not be doing any caching there (well, unless I could get bumped....)

I am also looking at the additional cost of the hotel and maybe stay an extra day in Romania just to be able to see what sites I can. It will make for a very exhausting Monday but it may be worth it.

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

If the trip is 2 weeks out or more, you could always host an event in the hotel bar. Even if no one else shows up, you can log your event. O0
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

If the trip is 2 weeks out or more, you could always host an event in the hotel bar. Even if no one else shows up, you can log your event. O0

Good idea HC. I have given some thoughts to finding good locations in advance, but that makes it easy.

Chefkimmo, I will sometimes book and document my business expenses... then change the routing at my personal cost to suit my personal needs. I travel enough that the extra hotel is on my points. By the way, there are some great credit card hotel (or airline) deals out there. Check out flyertalk.com if you have some time to dig through the enormous amount of info there.

In any case, be sure you have a freq flyer number / freq stayer number for the airline and hotel... you will get a decent amount of points for this trip and that will come in handy later.
Posted Image

#11 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the ideas!

I have found out that if I want to stay the extra day then the hotel & food that day is at my cost but the airfare shouldn't change so no big deal there. I was hoping to finalize the details today but went to a funeral so it will be tomorrow. Also, I am going to try getting bumped to the next flight. I am planning to stay an extra day longer rather than go early so I can figure out what to do during the week before... (sounds like an event in the picture)

I will leave for the trip on Nov. 4th but could possibly plan the event for the last part of the stay in Bucharest. I have heard a few people talk about doing an event while on trips. I am sure I could figure things out but since I haven't even hosted an event in the U.S. yet, any helpful tips on that would be appreciated. I am sure having a location so the hotel or I heard there is beer garden in the park across from the hotel - so time and date. Anything else ya'll can suggest would be great.

#12 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi all, I wanted to post an update to my trip. The trip there was good, unfortunately many many hours at work and unfortunately I had little time for caching. I did end up finding one cache near the hotel but did not have time to do much else. I did contact Mario and he told that there is a cache in the Paris airport but the travel agency had changed my flight to going through Frankfurt with less than an hour layover... time to get off one plane and head to the next.

So that trip didn't work out for caching - actually the reason that I went there didn't turn out the way we expected so I have to go back in January. So I think I am going to set up an event as was suggested for one night while there... At least this time I will have more time to figure out where to do it and hopefully to get some caching done. And right now my itinerary has me going through Paris this time so I am hoping I will get that chance to look for the cache if I don't have to leave the airport.

Thanks for the support and hopefully my next trip will be more successful

#13 Manofsteel73

Manofsteel73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

...........the travel agency had changed my flight to going through Frankfurt ......

There's a Virtual cache in the Frankfurt airport near gate 42.

Edited by Manofsteel73, 06 December 2012 - 12:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users