688 replies to this topic

#61 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

The only problem with being an early bird is your are in the dark and your shoes tend to get wet from the dew on the ground. :)

...and the spiderwebs you can't see, too!  And today I actually had one of my knees hit the wet ground  (and in long pants...otherwise that's normal in shorts) ...it's a good thing my co-workers know I cache....I even had one ask me if I went caching this morning.......sheesh......this sport is addicting!!!!!!

Yep Shift work is great for getting to those early morning FTFs but you pay a price. dew on the grass, looking by flashlight and run ins with LEOs. My coworkers think I'm crazy but they just don't understand the drive that this hobby inflects into us  :D

WTT-B2

Posted Image

#62 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

....   In reading the logs, I see he's getting them at 5:10 a.m. on his way into work....   

When I'm working the day shift, I've already been at work for almost an hour at 5:10 am :P

Plus, all the possible FTF's for me are 20 miles away in Clear Lake. :(
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#63 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

[quote author=HoustonControl link=topic=891.msg16607#msg16607 date=1160507479]
[quote author=Muddy Buddies link=topic=891.msg16583#msg16583 date=1160486963]
[/quote]

OK OK I know I gotta start putting out more hides  ;)

WTT

Posted Image

#64 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

....   In reading the logs, I see he's getting them at 5:10 a.m. on his way into work....   

When I'm working the day shift, I've already been at work for almost an hour at 5:10 am :P

I used to work 4am-12pm....I HATED that shift....the more senior international flying is on the 6am shift....One of the Texas Vikings, whom I relieve a lot, likes that graveyard stuff....YICK!! (he can have it!)

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#65 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

The FTF race is really heating up in the Southwest part of town.  We've had a lot of fun while Stan's vacationing trying to go after a few of them and running into Grangerfam a few times.  This morning we found ? and I was changing my shoes in the parking lot before doing more caching when we saw Grangerfam's green truck go by and watched for him to turn around just as we had to make the correct approach of the cache from the subdivision.  We waited for him to arrive to say hello.  We did our day of caching and as we were eating dinner we got a call from Grangerfam asking why we weren't getting one in our own neighborhood that had come out while we were out today.  He got to claim that one.  I think that we're finished caching tonight and will wait and clear out the new ones in the morning on the way to the event.  You win a few and you lose a few.  If you didn't lose a few, it would be no fun trying because that would just mean that noone else was trying or didn't care about FTFs to make them special.  We really like having the quick cacher meetings with other cachers going for FTFs.  We've just got to get enough FTFs to warrant the honor bestowed upon us of being one of the 4 "M's"  (I'm just sayin')
Posted Image

#66 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:31 AM

No kidding it;s tough competition on the SW side!!!  At mtp's new "punctuation cache" called "!",  I had just finished explaining to my elder why we even had a chance at this one.  I told him MB were eating dinner after grabbing ~30 caches today, so they probably won't make it.  It's mtp's cache, so he won't get FTF.  MAES is down in Needville today, but there's still DragonHunters, TDW, Piman, and JaMPrindle have been getting a few too.  We may have a chance.

Who do we see when we drive up?  MAES!  I yell out the window as we get close, "You're supposed to be in Needville!!!"  We got lucky and found the evil hide, but sheesh...  :angel:

It was fun to run into both MB (for the last 2 days) and MAES at FTF opportunities, not to mention the phone-a-friend calls to TDW and 5SH...but that's another story... 

#67 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:44 AM

I suppose we can start calling GrangerFam the FTF Shark.  :)

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#68 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:46 AM

I think the FTF Shark is a perfect term for him.  He's eating the 4 M's alive. 
Posted Image

#69 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

Thanks, GQ, for the help with the avatar!  The boys really like it!

#70 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:00 AM

No kidding it;s tough competition on the SW side!!!   At mtp's new "punctuation cache" called "!",  I had just finished explaining to my elder why we even had a chance at this one.  I told him MB were eating dinner after grabbing ~30 caches today, so they probably won't make it.  It's mtp's cache, so he won't get FTF.  MAES is down in Needville today, but there's still DragonHunters, TDW, Piman, and JaMPrindle have been getting a few too.  We may have a chance.

Who do we see when we drive up?  MAES!  I yell out the window as we get close, "You're supposed to be in Needville!!!"  We got lucky and found the evil hide, but sheesh...  :angel:

It was fun to run into both MB (for the last 2 days) and MAES at FTF opportunities, not to mention the phone-a-friend calls to TDW and 5SH...but that's another story... 

Grangerfam, your rationale as to whether you had a chance sounds like the conversations that Stan and I have all of the time in deciding whether to go after FTFs or not, especially at night.  We start thinking about things like whether we live closer than the FTF hounds (or sharks) and whose cache it is because that throws them out of the running. We also consider how long ago the cache notification came up before we noticed it.  It always hurts when someone else gets one that is less than 2 miles from the house though like last night.  We also always wonder about whether GQ is sandbagging everyone and just not logging it right away.  

I think that TDW and 5SHs were having a blast talking to each of us on the phone as we were racing to 5SHs cache.  TDW let us know when we called him to see if he was on the way or working that we had to hurry because Grangerfam was already there looking.  
Posted Image

#71 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

Thanks, GQ, for the help with the avatar!  The boys really like it!

I like the avatar too.  I'm not sure the shark is big enough to really represent how big of a FTF shark you really are though.  :D
Posted Image

#72 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:22 AM

Exerpt from "CACHING IN THE WILD":

The FTF Shark is a territorial animal whose feeding habits are heightened at this time of year.  For brief intervals during the Winter Solstice, the beast emerges from his lair and begins to feed ravenously on all caches within in striking distance.  The fresher the meat, the quicker it strikes.  Rest assured that soon this feeding frenzy must come to an end as the FTF Shark is also a seasonal creature.  After the coming of the new year, it will migrate back into it's natural habitat.  Only then, do the FTF Hounds feel safe.

I'm just sayin' clearly and LOUDLY...........
I CANNOT wait until the holidays are over and GrangerFam goes back to work!!!

#73 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:19 AM

Exerpt from "CACHING IN THE WILD":

The FTF Shark is a territorial animal whose feeding habits are heightened at this time of year.  For brief intervals during the Winter Solstice, the beast emerges from his lair and begins to feed ravenously on all caches within in striking distance.  The fresher the meat, the quicker it strikes.  Rest assured that soon this feeding frenzy must come to an end as the FTF Shark is also a seasonal creature.  After the coming of the new year, it will migrate back into it's natural habitat.  Only then, do the FTF Hounds will feel safe.

Dang, that's what I said about MB too!  :angel:

#74 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

You guys are too funny.  I have enjoyed watching the antics of all the FTF hounds on this side of town.  I agree withe MB that the FTF is indeed made special by the friendly competition.

I would like to obtain the FTF again.  Just remember the longer the time between finds of the Trophy for me the harder the puzzle! :D
Posted Image

#75 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

What ????  TDW and I having fun at someone else's expense?  Get out!!  We are only shepherds  :angel: helping the flock move along, guiding, nurturing, laughing our butts off, snorting out loud, crying till tears flow from cackling so hard......er, I mean, nurturing, helping, assisting.  It's the least we can do to let loose the Titans and stand back and WATCH!!!!!

Sweetly, I'm just sayin'.....

Innocent: not guilty of a crime; free from moral wrong; not intended to cause harm or offense; the lack of guile or corruption; without knowledge of something's significance or  possible consequences............

It AIN'T my fault.  fivesecrethunters made me do it!!!!

#76 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:40 AM

No kidding it;s tough competition on the SW side!!!  .....
..........It was fun to run into both MB (for the last 2 days) and MAES at FTF opportunities, not to mention the phone-a-friend calls to TDW and 5SH...but that's another story... 

::)  ::)  We just LOVE to see other cachers while on the search... That makes it really fun.  :angel:

#77 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

Dang, that's what I said about MB too!   :angel:

You'll have to wait a couple of more weeks for the Muddy Buddies to go back to work.  Stan has of the first 2 weeks in January so we can spend them with our daughter Munkiebread, and she caches too and likes FTFs.  We'll just have to go out and try to share a few FTFs with her.
Posted Image

#78 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

:-\  Was in the house all day feeling punk...then late in the day came a FTF opportunity on the first hide of Hart2Hart.  Since I was down, I just had to call my great son-in-law and Team Tulip got FTF#4 on it....

Congrats on FTF#4 Team Tulip

#79 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

I have a cache that was placed and listed LAST YEAR that is still awaiting an FTF. :o
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#80 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

I have a cache that was placed and listed LAST YEAR that is still awaiting an FTF. :o

??? Which One ???

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users