688 replies to this topic

#41 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

We don't like placing caches when the satellites are so goofy but we've been trying to get some caches into this area before it was invaded by micros... ::)

We appreciated the regular sized caches in the woods instead of the micros, so thanks. 

No kidding, I cached out by Lake Livingston over tyhe weekend.  A butt load of old caches by Babslover and such, almost all full-size caches, long hikes, cool swag, I highly recommend it.  It was a nostalgic day for those who are not new and only ever knew a world of micro-spew.....

#42 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

We don't like placing caches when the satellites are so goofy but we've been trying to get some caches into this area before it was invaded by micros... ::)

We appreciated the regular sized caches in the woods instead of the micros, so thanks.   

No kidding, I cached out by Lake Livingston over tyhe weekend.  A butt load of old caches by Babslover and such, almost all full-size caches, long hikes, cool swag, I highly recommend it.  It was a nostalgic day for those who are not new and only ever knew a world of micro-spew.....

Full size caches in the woods are cool when the temp is cool, but micros can also be cool if the container or hide or writeup has been given a little thought.  We really like the shorter walks and (usually) fewer associated chiggers in the Houston summertime with most micros.

#43 tugboat

tugboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:29 PM

If it is summer and the chiggers are alive and well, I stay out of the woods, give me those beat the heat or quick micros.

#44 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

If it is summer and the chiggers are alive and well, I stay out of the woods, give me those beat the heat or quick micros.

Chiggers are completely preventable if the proper precautions are taken.
Come on, get out there in the deep woods and find some regular sized caches.
Posted Image

#45 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

Micros definitely have their place.  We think the issue is really when a micro is placed where a small to large cache can fit.  There are a lot of micros with cool themes and good write-ups as well.  It sometimes may seem that all the good spots are taken by larger caches but it you really look hard and do some homework then there are a lot of untapped places out there...

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#46 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

Some clarification:  We like micros.  Mrs. OSC loves micros.  She loves the challenge and I've gotten a lot better myself with them, too.  Sometimes you want a micro after walking in the deep woods and covered in sweat and swarmed by critters. 

But we like putting in swag for the kids and we know that is a key aspect of the sport.  wowieann was telling us her 7yr old likes the caches with goodies in them better than micros. 

We don't want anyone to think we oppose them at all.  We've done some nanos and we really like them.  We've placed micros in some pocket parks that couldn't fit a bigger cache.  We've placed micros where there is a really cool view.  We've placed micros in some really interesting custom containers.  So we do like them.

Just not everywhere all the time.

We haven't done the Beat The Heat Series yet.  It sounds like a great concept and has a great title.  They probably are all located where a full sized cache can't go.  At least we're assuming the majority are micros...correct us if we're mistaken. 

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#47 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

The Beat The Heat series is a wonderful concept for the idea it represents and should remain a micro but we would rather look for a larger box in general.
Micros have their place in life but we have noticed a lot of real estate is wasted on a micro when a larger container would fit the space.
Anyone that wants to see what I mean can cache the Mineola area of Texas for a bunch of good examples of this. Long country roads out in nowhere and you are looking for a camo covered bison tube or 35mm can hanging in a tree in the forest with a 1.5/1.5 rating.
Either way we will go for them because they are a cache but would rather see a larger container than a micro hidden in places like these.

#48 The Full House 5

The Full House 5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Calling all FTF Hounds, Calling all FTF Hounds....out of 8 new caches (none were micros) we placed on 7/6 only two have been found....there are still SIX new caches just waiting..... ::)

I sure enjoyed hunting the two new ones you placed in Telge Park on Sunday evening after the showers. It was muddy, the skeeters were persistant, but the hunting and trading were good.  O0

#49 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

I sure enjoyed hunting the two new ones you placed in Telge Park on Sunday evening after the showers. It was muddy, the skeeters were persistant, but the hunting and trading were good.  O0

Me too.  I especially liked the lamp shade idea.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.  Of course I liked the coffee can one too since we were FTF on that one.  I think we need mosquito fogging planes to fog all of the Houston area though.  :D
Posted Image

#50 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:52 PM

The BTH Series is most certainly a micro type of series. However that being said, I have had such a great response to my regular sized BTH Cache that I have 4 more regular BTH caches in the works.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 MunkieBread

MunkieBread

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

I agree. I think BTH caches could be regulars if they wanted, as long as it meets the 30 feet or less from the car requirement.

#52 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

We did a very nice regular one that was a BTH series cache.  I have to admit it was one of my favorite of the BTH because of it being a regular sized cache.  It's a little more challenging hiding a regular one that is within 30' of the car though. 
Posted Image

#53 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

It's a little more challenging hiding a regular one that is within 30' of the car though.   

Not if you're GQ.    ;D
Posted Image

#54 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

It's a little more challenging hiding a regular one that is within 30' of the car though.   

Not if you're GQ.    ;D

Hey guys....even though we placed our parking coords 500 feet away to assure that muggles would not get to you, our "Looks Like a Cache" would qualify especially on weekends 'cause you can park within 30 feet of a full size cache.  Those that have done it could attest to it"s full size...... ??? 

#55 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

And we loved that one too.

#56 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

Has anybody noticed that while everyone has been playing with green jeeps, Lumpy_the_Great has been hiding, MaggieB has been FTF'in on his 1.51,1.5  Bear in the Woods and FullHouseFive has been FTF'in his 4,4 Fountain of Youth cache?  Congrats to you both....(especially FH5, cause that cache sounds like a real
bear)..... O0 

#57 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

I've noticed when I've been loading on some of my new caches that are about 18-20 miles away from my home coordinates that the FTF has been going to One Step Closer.  In reading the logs, I see he's getting them at 5:10 a.m. on his way into work.  I wouldn't be going after a FTF in that area.  It's too far away.  I'm just thankful that I don't have to get up that early to go to work.  I guess OSC is the early bird that gets the worm. 
Posted Image

#58 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:38 AM

The only problem with being an early bird is your are in the dark and your shoes tend to get wet from the dew on the ground. :)
Posted Image

#59 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

I've noticed when I've been loading on some of my new caches that are about 18-20 miles away from my home coordinates that the FTF has been going to One Step Closer.   In reading the logs, I see he's getting them at 5:10 a.m. on his way into work.   I wouldn't be going after a FTF in that area.  It's too far away.  I'm just thankful that I don't have to get up that early to go to work.   I guess OSC is the early bird that gets the worm.   

O0

The only benefit to shift work!  I told Mrs. OSC I wouldn't do any more 3am FTF runs on days off any more, too....  I guess I wanted to feel like RER back in April when I did those....

If he was around more I bet I wouldn't have had a shot at most of them...... :o

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#60 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

The only problem with being an early bird is your are in the dark and your shoes tend to get wet from the dew on the ground. :)

...and the spiderwebs you can't see, too!  And today I actually had one of my knees hit the wet ground  (and in long pants...otherwise that's normal in shorts) ...it's a good thing my co-workers know I cache....I even had one ask me if I went caching this morning.......sheesh......this sport is addicting!!!!!!

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users