688 replies to this topic

#1 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

There is one thing I learned last night, and that is that Muddie Buddies are really SERIOUS about FTFs! I was getting ready to put a Netflix movie in at about 10:00PM last night when I decided to check my Email one last time. There was a Prime Reviewer note about a new cache. When I saw it was 23 miles from me I wasn't interested, but then I saw who it belonged to and realized it was the person who got me into the caching in the first place. I decided to drive over in hopes of getting an FTF, hoping that the Muddie Buddies hadn't already found out about it.

As it turns out, they had! The note was posted at 9:55PM and they logged an FTF at 10:22! The cache owner called me at around 1:30 when he got the Email about my Not Found log (that's another story - I was looking in the right place but it never occured to me that certain items are not necessarily permanently attached.) He told me that his brother-in-law, who got HIM into caching, called him at around 11:00 that Muddy Buddies had already logged an FTF on it even though it had only been out for barely an hour - they had found out about it, gone to the cache, and logged it in about 30 minutes. Geo Pilot, who name is Ken, told me about another recent incident when he saw a cache that had just been posted and he and his son got in the truck and went to find it, hoping to log an FTF and Muddie Buddies had already been there. He thinks they are using a Blackberry or something and get the Emails instantly.

I felt frustrated last night because I drove all that way and failed to find the cache even though I had the right coordinates and information and searched all over (it's not a micro, either) but today I realize it was actually fun. My first caching experience was at night, so maybe in the future I may do more night caching.

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

We went to grab that one last night, because we knew that Geek Qualizer and Breeze, or Tx_secsy & Jeff, or even piman314 would be hot on the trail.  That, and the fact that we love chocolate shakes....
Posted Image

#3 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

We went to grab that one last night, because we knew that Geek Qualizer and Breeze, or Tx_secsy & Jeff, or even piman314 would be hot on the trail.  That, and the fact that we love chocolate shakes....

But you got there so fast! If you don't have a Blackberry, you must have been sitting right at the computer when it came in. I knew the odds were against me getting an FTF that far away, but I expected to find the blame thing. I knew the hint, but I thought he meant on the ground by it. It never occured to me to check certain stationary objects. The owner of that cache really is a great guy. He's not a member of HGCS yet. I told him about it when we talked last night. Oh, I LOVE chocolate shakes, too!

#4 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

I like to be FTF on caches when people least expect me to be FTF, then don't log it online until someone else does keeping the hopes of others alive only to be confronted with STF.  >:D Is that wrong of me..  :D

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#5 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

Speaking of FTFs. I remember being STF after the MBs. I believe the cache was caching with Louis. It seemed like they took up nearly the whole first page of the logbook with "FTF" written bigger than Dallas. That was not nice... ;D

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#6 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

I like to be FTF on caches when people least expect me to be FTF, then don't log it online until someone else does keeping the hopes of others alive only to be confronted with STF.  >:D Is that wrong of me..  :D

No! That is GREAT!!! Getting a one-up on someone is part of having fun. :D

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

I think geowyz used to sandbag.  I remember getting a FTF on a Dreamcacher cache.  It was called Crossworlds and it was a puzzle.  I knew that geowyz would try for the FTF.  I solved the puzzle and went out at night and found the cache.  I decided to log it once I got home so geowyz could just get it on his way to work.

For awhile I was able to get a FTF on caches that were located near the MuddyBuddies.  I used to leave a note that said "Hi Kathy".
Posted Image

#8 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

I think geowyz used to sandbag.  I remember getting a FTF on a Dreamcacher cache.  It was called Crossworlds and it was a puzzle.  I knew that geowyz would try for the FTF.  I solved the puzzle and went out at night and found the cache.  I decided to log it once I got home so geowyz could just get it on his way to work.

For awhile I was able to get a FTF on caches that were located near the MuddyBuddies.  I used to leave a note that said "Hi Kathy".

That is great too. I'm still trying to figure out why your good friend MedTexPlacer let Degree/Decimal go since he had figured out the correct coordinates. I'm sure Texas Dreamweaver is happy that he did.

#9 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

No, we don't have a Blackberry or anything high tech like that.  I just have a premium membership and use the feature to send me an email when a new cache is posted within so many miles of the house.  My email also has a notifier to let me know that I have an email.  The notifier happens to be a pirate for geocaching mail.   I stay on the computer a large percentage of the time because I work from home on my computer and I also spend a lot of time on the forums, checking and answering emails, and generally using the computer for a lot of Girl Scout volunteer information.   If I'm at home, I'm usually on the computer.   The timing of that cache was great.  I had just gotten home from working a Girl Scout Twilight Camp and had settled down by the computer, but hadn't yet gotten changed for bed.  The cache came out within our limits of going for a FTF at night and it had the enticing Whataburger FTF prize.  I also had hoped to join one of the FTF race events at the cache and meet up with some of the local cachers, but that part was not meant to be last night.  

Piman's new cache came out last night and Mr. Muddy Buddy solved it real quick but determined that it was not meant to be a night cache from it's location, so he agreed to get up early and go for before work if it hadn't been logged yet.   Of course, there was always the possibility of GQ having found it without logging it.  Yes, GQ, we've noticed the trend, and you're evil.   >:D >:D >:D >:D    Really, I think sometimes it's good for the caches to wait for logging that FTF to get others visiting that might blow it off if they aren't FTF.   Normally, we don't wait to log unless we get it in the morning on a day where we are not coming back home before doing a day of caching.  We don't have a way at this point to log our caches on the fly.   It might be nice though.   Mr. Muddy Buddy did get the FTF on the Piman cache this morning too.  However, he should have listened to the advise on the web page to bring his laptop with him.  It would have saved him a trip back to the house.  However, I'm glad I got to share in the experience of the cache since he brought the computer portion home before returning for WP2.  It's a great cache.  It was well planned and very creative, but what else would you expect from Piman?  

I think the only times that I have tried for a FTF with a cache 30+ miles away was when we were playing GeoOpoly.   I usually wasn't successful when I tried to go that far thanks to people like Billy H. grabbing the GeoOpoly pieces first.   Usually it wasn't really a FTF for the cache, but a FTF for the GeoOpoly pieces.  

Yes, TFB, we are a bit competitive.  Competition isn't for everyone, but it's fun for us.  However, competition isn't everything to us in this game.  We love the cachers too. I would love to run into them more often going after FTFs than we do, but of course, I want to be coming away from the cache when I do.   :D
Posted Image

#10 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

I didn't really mind.  I loved seeing the personal notes to me.  It's all part of the friendly competition. 
Posted Image

#11 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

No, we don't have a Blackberry or anything high tech like that.  I just have a premium membership and use the feature to send me an email when a new cache is posted within so many miles of the house.  My email also has a notifier to let me know that I have an email.  The notifier happens to be a pirate for geocaching mail.   I stay on the computer a large percentage of the time because I work from home on my computer and I also spend a lot of time on the forums, checking and answering emails, and generally using the computer for a lot of Girl Scout volunteer information.   If I'm at home, I'm usually on the computer.   The timing of that cache was great.  I had just gotten home from working a Girl Scout Twilight Camp and had settled down by the computer, but hadn't yet gotten changed for bed.  The cache came out within our limits of going for a FTF at night and it had the enticing Whataburger FTF prize.  I also had hoped to join one of the FTF race events at the cache and meet up with some of the local cachers, but that part was not meant to be last night.  

That explains it then. I know what you mean about being on the computer all the time. For about the last 12 years it's been the major diversion for me. In fact, I met my wife on AOL!

I was surprised that there weren't any other cachers there while I was. You all were about half an hour or so before me and the other person who found it logged his as 11:05, which is about the time I got there. It was kind of funny. For some reason my GPSr quit working about the time I got to Whataburger. It got me to the cache but was jumping around so I went over to Walmart to get some more batteries. I never did put them in though, because it worked fine. I stayed there until after midnight combing through the cedars and whatever the other shrubs are (I should know - my other obsession is Houston Garden Center.)

#12 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

We've just recently played around with getting FTF's in our area and it's really been fun...not the FTFs as much as the friendly sparring.  Joy Rose came up to me at the second ODS event ribbing me about making her go out at midnight to beat us to a cache!  One of the little Roses of Copperfield Rose really had fun with us when they beat us by minutes to one FTF...he taunted us (in a good-natured way) as we got out of the car, "IN YOUR FACE!"  I never laughed so hard!  :D  Here's this little guy hooting and hollering and having a blast! 

There's something really cool about signing a fresh log....

Of course, being a FTF hound has it's potential for downfalls:

http://www.geocachin...0f-67de4df4f0be

...what's funnier is reading The Popeteer's response when they found it.

That's what makes this whole thing a blast!  ;D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#13 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

I know I never felt like a true FTF'er until , I got to a cache that had been out for a week and a certain cacher had left me a note, thinking they had barely beat me......

It helped of course that I envied the skill of this particular cacher.  These days I enjoy someone beating me and proclaiming it to the world as a great feat as much or more than actually getting the FTF, but I come out of hiding now and then too....... >:D

#14 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Actually, we think you being off shore so much has helped us get a few.  O0  Now, it's anyone's game....either that or the FTF fever has caught on with a lot of newer cachers...

Still, we've never seen a month like last month when The Muddy Buddies had 25 and the Popeteers had 24...that's a ton!

When looking at the totals lately it speaks well for the health of new hides....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#15 MunkieBread

MunkieBread

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

This is what I do, but Muddy Buddies don't like it. They want me to log it right when I get back.  :P

#16 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hey everyone..... the MAES bunch would like to congratulate   O0   Texas DreamWeaver on his FTF of the Vari-Eze cache  -  (GCWPN0).

As you all know, MAES is a stick shift driver of the PC and has no clue as to how to make a hot link of the cache mentioned above, but maybe GQ will edit this to make it hot, or some other kind soul out there will post it as a hot link.

We are so proud of the Dreamweaver for doing this one since  it was placed by our cousins SMAKS who we have just intoduced to Geocaching.  We hope to introduce them to HGCS soon, but a little at a time you know....

TDW actually drove an extra 55 miles on his way to work to get this FTF....Now you know the kind of competition  >:D we are up against here in the southwest.

#17 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

Hey everyone..... the MAES bunch would like to congratulate   O0   Texas DreamWeaver on his FTF of the Vari-Eze cache  -  (GCWPN0).

That boy needs some help! 

Posted Image

#18 MAES

MAES

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationJust Off Bellaire Chinatown

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

Speaking of help  ???
Let's give TDW credit....he usually caches by himself.  No help....
We would all have no chance if the Queen helped him.
Fortunately, MAES caches as a team.  Thus E always has the help of M,,,Thank goodness!

#19 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hey everyone..... the MAES bunch would like to congratulate  O0  Texas DreamWeaver on his FTF of the Vari-Eze cache  -  (GCWPN0).

That boy needs some help!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yes...sick i am.  ftf must have.  crazy, blank pages make.  with pencil write i must.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
(someone help meeeee!) :-[

#20 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hey everyone..... the MAES bunch would like to congratulate  O0  Texas DreamWeaver on his FTF of the Vari-Eze cache  -  (GCWPN0).
....TDW actually drove an extra 55 miles on his way to work to get this FTF....Now you know the kind of competition  >:D we are up against here in the southwest.

Actually my daily commute is 32 miles one way.  The odometer read 110 miles.  :-\ 
I was so far south I tried to cut directly east and then head back up to Houston.  Drove through 4 counties before I arrived at work.  I just wish that I had had the time to: 

A) enjoy wonderful Wharton and

B) stop at the  dozen or so Pepper's BTH caches I past.  Left the house at 6:05 am --- arrived at work at 8:20am. 

(to myself) IDIOT!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users