31 replies to this topic

#21 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

How exciting to come to Houston and get some caching done. I see you are looking at doing Pundt park, Greenway Trail and Jesse Jones Park... As mentioned several of us got together to do those 2 weeks ago and for numbers I highly recommend them. I was one who walked the series with Davarle and my son and was happy to have gotten as many as we did in one day. It was a record for me until where we went caching last weekend. I will admit I am not in the best of shape so you may be able to do all three in one day. You probably have read the logs but just in case and to give you a taste -- we walked at least 9.5 miles mainly doing the Greenway Trail and a few in Jesse Jones Park.

If you are interested in doing any of the caches with people in the area, there are several of us who are looking at doing some of the ones you listed that might be happy to join you dependig on timing. As mentioned you can list to do a "Mash Up" and those that can join will list and we would make plans to meet you. It was great to have a car parked at each end on the Greenway Trail and would be good to have one along the way for the Element Series.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!

#22 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

That's called One Huge Plan. Good luck. One huge smile took me about four hours and I was ready for bed after that. Don't underestimate the terrain in GBP. Lots of COs who are very familiar with the terrain there tend to under rate the terrain on their caches in my humble opinion.

And bring lots of water. Humidity is a real drag here. Not sure if your neck of the planet is similar.

Where I live is hot but dry and I'm not used to coup with humidity but I'll do my best. How about the TEXAS series, how long that would take? Is the terrain the same as in One Huge Smile? Someone contact me directly and suggested me to do the Presidential Series and the new caches north of them at the Jones State Forest instead of the GBP. What do you think?

One thing to be aware of in your planing is that the TEXAS and One Huge Smile series are in a flood zone. After a rain the ground can be anything from boggy to inundated. They are great caches, but check back here before you go out.

The terrain for both of these series ranges from open fields to dense brush and thorn thickets. It can really slow you down. The difficulty of the terrain is one of the features of the series that make them such an accomplishment. Just bring more water than you think you will ever need.

For a finds per hour pace, the Greenway trial is the best I have done in Houston.
  • MXT likes this

#23 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I concur with the above. The difference between Greenway Trail and TEXAS is substantial, with the latter being a real test to accomplish in a single outing. Multiple sets of eyes obviously is a huge advantage not to be overlooked if you are wanting to work 65-85 finds per day. Most people completing the Greenway had at least two sets of eyes hunting, and most had more.

One more thing to consider:
There are many series in Houston that are Bicycle friendly, including the Greenway Trail, Red Bluff, La Porte, etc. If you can lay your hands on a bicycle you won't regret it I promise you if this is truly a numbers run.

IMHO: Recruit additional eyes, procure a decent mountain bike, and work the bicycle caches! (and WATER WATER WATER)
  • MXT likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

If you REALLY want numbers, drive your rent car up to the Waco/Marlin/Mart area. http://coord.info/ma...-97.208715&z=11 :laugh:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

True Nuff on Waco but additional help still goes to at least act as Driver. Waco is serious numbers 400-500 possible on one weekend

#26 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Can someone comment about the Presidential Series?, I'm thinking that I could try to do the Presidential Series plus the 242 Cache and Dash in one day instead of the GBP.

I'm affraid I can't go to Waco this time.
Posted Image

#27 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

The presidential series is an award winning series that is extremely fun, possibly my favorite in Houston. While there are a lot of caches in the park, I do not consider it a "numbers run" series but rather one that offers a lot of creativity and variety and challenge.
The elements series is an endurance series of soda tubes that can require a lot of stamina IMO.
242 is a good one for car caching two or three cachers is ideal.
Greenway Trail plus Pundt park and Jones is another excellent choice for numbers and fun. But, bicycle is much better.

• MXT likes this

#28 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

The presidents series cannot be done by car, bike is your best option. Plan on spending 5-6 hours to collect all the caches.

Eagle
Posted Image

#29 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Woo hoo!! What a tremendous wealth of information for a returnee to the area and the sport!!!! Can't wait to get started!!!

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#30 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Can someone comment about the Presidential Series?, I'm thinking that I could try to do the Presidential Series plus the 242 Cache and Dash in one day instead of the GBP.

I also added 20 or so new caches north of the Pres series. Total now in the forest about 65 or so. Make sure you add Dolphin Pod to your PQ it is disabled but still there. I am also replacing 18 and 36 this weekend. It is a 10-12 mile hike or bike round trip on mostly flat wide trails. There are 5 puzzles in the forest so make sure you do FTFC 88 as well. Only two thick bushwhacks out of all the caches. 3 Letterboxes, a multi and every size cache you can find including 7 or 8 of those elusive large containers. Many ammo cans as well a few surprises not to be missed.
  • MXT likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just to let you know that I visited Houston all right, I initiate two cousings of mine in Geocaching. One, AlexpH, lives in the Houston area, the other in Iowa. Both had continue geocaching since I got back to Mexico. Both are premium members now :)

I did not accomplish my goal, only had time to find 110 caches during my visit. But I had a lot of fun. I really liked the caches in the cementeries, also I liked very much the caches and containers in WG Jones State Forest.

I'll visit again someday. Thanks for all your advice.
Posted Image

#32 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I am honored you picked several of my caches. Hope you enjoyed them and the visit to Houston with your cousins. Welcome abroad cousins.

Note to others: Check their finds around the end of November. MXT's caching name is MXTrekker along with AlexpH and SPASCALIN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users