31 replies to this topic

#1 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hello fellow geocachers,

I'll be visiting Houston for 3 full days at the end of November (2012) and I would like to do as much geocaching as I can. This will be my first time doing geocaching in the area and I'm seeking your advice to make this visit as much productive, in terms of numbers, as I possible can. I will rent a car to move around and also I don't mind hiking a trail to get to a cache.

So keeping the goal in mind, what areas/series/power-trails do you recommend?

Your help will be most appreciated.
Posted Image

#2 Bigjake14

Bigjake14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

What part of town will you be staying in?
Posted Image

#3 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Sounds like you are flying in to Houston. Welcome to Houston

Start off with GC27ZG2 IAH COIN AND TB HOTEL, located just South of the airport, then a series of 10 caches called ENTER WOODS LOOP, start at one place and walk/drive around the loop. Add GCG54W = FIRST INTO THE FIRE MEMORIAL to the mix, you will be impressed.

Other cachers will make their suggestions. Since there are some 3-4000 caches around Houston, they will need to know what part of Houston you are staying at - North side, NW, West side, downtown, SW. Some power trails will take four-six hours to complete
  • MXT likes this

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Where are you coming from? Gone kayak caching? Had an event today, but it's nice pladdling during the daytime then.

http://www.geocachin...d5-4660dfab0b2e
Posted Image

#5 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

We will be flying into George Bush International Airport from Queretaro, Mexico. I still haven't decided which hotel we are going to stay. Probably one that is conveniently located not too far of a mall. Galleria perhaps? I've never been on a Kayak. It looks like CLAPS: Paddling Downstream for Once was a success and everybody had a great time from reading the logs.

So if I stay close to GallerĂ­a, what can you recommend. I would like to find at least 200 caches in those three days. Is it doable?
Posted Image

#6 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Thanks PARKERPLUS, I'll look for those caches you recommend,
Posted Image

#7 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

If you stay near the Galleria, there are at least 200 caches within 3 miles. Look here at this event listing that is in that area. There is a nice park across the freeway and northeast from the Galleria, and several dozen park and grab type caches.
That's not my favorite area, though. If you wanted to get some power trails, there is the Elements series along the Barker Dam and several series within George Bush Park. Center your map here and you will see what I am talking about.

Any way you go, you are sure to be able to find lots of caches. I think my favorites right now are in Jesse Jones Park, here.
  • MXT likes this
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

George Bush park and Barker Reservoir are very cache-rich, but not exactly park and grabs. Lots of hiking and bushwhacking required, but they are nice areas. I agree with Keely about Jesse Jones park -- we had a meet-up there last weekend and it was awesome!

Edited by HoustonControl, 14 October 2012 - 08:47 AM.

• MXT likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

At the Jesse Jones Park, then following the Greenway Trail and the Pundt Park I counted about one hundred caches. But It seems a rather long hike for one day, is there a place near or at Jesse Jones Park to rent a bike?
Posted Image

#10 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I've never been on a Kayak.

Depending on the days you are here and how much time you have, we may be able to arrange for your first time. Several of us have a spare kayak and would love to take you on a caching tour of the bayous. I will offer to lend my boat. I live very near the Galleria and could pick you up if the timing works out.
  • KeyResults and MXT like this

#11 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

At the Jesse Jones Park, then following the Greenway Trail and the Pundt Park I counted about one hundred caches. But It seems a rather long hike for one day, is there a place near or at Jesse Jones Park to rent a bike?

Here's a link that shows some places you can rent bikes. As was mentioned some of us did the Greenway trail a week ago. Great time can easily get 70+ in a day. You may want to look at the Element Series. If you do it, I'd recommend doing a 'Mash Up' with someone here where you can park a car at one end and car pool to the other end and work it together. Otherwise it's a long walk back. The TEXAS and One Huge Smile in George Bush Park / Barkers Reservoir would provide a lot of caches.
  • MXT likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#12 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

The TEXAS and One Huge Smile in George Bush Park / Barkers Reservoir would provide a lot of caches.

Just be forewarned, the terrain for these great two cache series is flat but covered in dense brush and can take more time than you may think.
  • MXT likes this

#13 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I know you are getting a lot of suggestions for your visit to Houston, but to get a feel of the inner city life of Houston, I suggest any of the following series, sites.

WASHINGTON CORRIDOR SERIES by ACOMPOFELICE (A series of six caches along Washington Ave showing the local street scene and nightlife, resturants. Available 24/7)

OLD SIXTH WARD Series by ACOMPOFELICE (A series in the Historial District with some old homes, available 24/7)

MIDTOWN BIKE TRAIL by PARKERPLUS (A series along the old Houston Height Tolley system, drivable by car, available 24/7)

A visit to the GLENWOOD Cemetery, an old and beauiful surrounding property. In the cemetery you will find many beautiful headstones, large monuments, statues, old oak trees and three or four caches along the driveways as follows. Some important people are buried there. Available during the daytime only.

GCGZFY - WHO'S THERE, where Howard Hughes is buried

GC3VPZH - GIVING MY THANKS TO PARKERPLUS and PLUSONE

GC2VRNY - SEEKING PEACE FOR MY LOVE by the WATERFALL

GC11M22 - WHERE THERE'S SMOKE (Here is the first stage of a multi and the final is at HFD Station 28 which is near the Galleria area. A must see of 9/11 artifacts, pictures memorial built by SMITTY, one of the firefighters at that station. The final location is at N29 44.035 W95 28.605. Available 24 hours a day)

Do hope you have some time to do them

Have fun and enjoy

Neal Parker - ParkerPlus
  • MXT likes this

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Well, as long as you're in Glenwood/Washington cemetery, be sure to visit Emma.

Other cool stops nearby:
http://coord.info/GC8C39
http://coord.info/GCE041
http://coord.info/GCBF1C
http://coord.info/GC9A93
  • MXT likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#15 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yes, those are good ones to get some of Houston's urban artwork.

HC, I thought I included EMMA. It was on my list.

#16 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Wow! I really love to visit all the places you have suggested. It will be difficult to choose which ones to do and what to leave for another time. Thanks a lot, and keep the suggestions coming. Remember my main goal this time is to increase my numbers. Check the ranking for Geocachers located in Mexico and you will see why.

http://cacherstats.com/Mexico1.html
Posted Image

#17 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Gunning for numero uno I see. Good luck.
  • MXT likes this
Posted Image

#18 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I've never been on a Kayak.

Depending on the days you are here and how much time you have, we may be able to arrange for your first time. Several of us have a spare kayak and would love to take you on a caching tour of the bayous. I will offer to lend my boat. I live very near the Galleria and could pick you up if the timing works out.

Great Birds, thanks for your kind offer but I think I will have to pass this time. I've almost finished sketching my plan. I will try to do the Enter Woods Loop Series, Pundt Park, Greenwood Trail and Jesse H. Jones Park and Nature Reserve. The northern part of George Bush Park including One Huge Smile, TEXAS and Noble Road Trail Series, plus extras. Also I would like to hunt the other caches at the inner city some of you recommended. I think that could easily fill all the time I have available for geocaching in my visit. Hopefully I would reach my goal. Again thanks for your kind offer I truly appreciated it.

Edited by MXT, 19 October 2012 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#19 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

That's called One Huge Plan. Good luck. One huge smile took me about four hours and I was ready for bed after that. Don't underestimate the terrain in GBP. Lots of COs who are very familiar with the terrain there tend to under rate the terrain on their caches in my humble opinion.

And bring lots of water. Humidity is a real drag here. Not sure if your neck of the planet is similar.
Posted Image

#20 MXT

MXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

That's called One Huge Plan. Good luck. One huge smile took me about four hours and I was ready for bed after that. Don't underestimate the terrain in GBP. Lots of COs who are very familiar with the terrain there tend to under rate the terrain on their caches in my humble opinion.

And bring lots of water. Humidity is a real drag here. Not sure if your neck of the planet is similar.

Where I live is hot but dry and I'm not used to coup with humidity but I'll do my best. How about the TEXAS series, how long that would take? Is the terrain the same as in One Huge Smile? Someone contact me directly and suggested me to do the Presidential Series and the new caches north of them at the Jones State Forest instead of the GBP. What do you think?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users