11 replies to this topic

#1 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and have only used it for caching in that I used it to get finds and to get the coords on mine and some friends newer hides. I went to an awesome GSAK class and belive I learned that I should be able to take call the caches I marked as found in my GPS and put them in GSAK, make notes and upload to Geocaching.com. Now I want to do that and I just can't seem to figure it out :pcr:

I am usually pretty good at these things and figure them out and if I can't figure it out, I can usually go to Google and find an answer. For some reason, I am not, and really want to know how to do this. I am sure it is so easy that I will be embarrased but I can't seem to find the trick to download from my GPS to GSAK the finds I made yesterday.

If anyone can give me some tips on the magical box I am supposed to check that makes the computer realize I have the GPS connected, I would really appreciate any help. I can't seem to find anything on the GPS to send to the computer but seem to have to hunt for everything I do. (just to note - I do have it connect with the USB cord and it does have batteries in it!) ;D

#2 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

http://geocass.wordp...tures-tutorial/

Go down to where it says "Publish Logs" it appears to detail how to do it. Personally I use my phone to save field notes so I've never done this.

Have fun.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Chief, I have a 450 also and what I do is simple. I run a PQ of my finds and drop them in GSAK. I write logs based on my hand notes and photos, so no "field notes" for me.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Can't help you with the GSAK part, but if you marked all the caches you found as "Found" on your Oregon, you can upload field notes from your GPSr to GC.com -- even if you didn't write any comments in the notes. It makes it easy to remember which caches you found and in what order and to log them online.

Go here, click on Garmin and follow the instructions.

Edited by HoustonControl, 09 October 2012 - 02:22 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

As Taz said. You can upload from your phone to GSAK or to GC.com directly. If you have a LOT it may be quicker to use GSAK because you can create templates for found and add extra if desired. Then you select 'publish logs' (it won't publish any where the log part is blank) and select a group ready to go or all and bam. Done. If you have a LOT on gc.com it bogs down and is slow between them. GSAK doesn't have to refresh over the net each time, saving considerable time.

Play with it and PM me if you need help. I only just did this on Monday for the first time and once you see how to do it it's pretty easy, actually. One of the easier functions (for me) in GSAK.

Normally, for local caching, I use the gc app in the phone and upload field notes there. Then I can edit and publish from within gc.com. But on a big run or series -- GSAK is great for this.
Posted Image

#6 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Just make sure I am saying this right....

I use my phone all the time for caching and have uploaded the majority of my finds directly to geocaching.com from the phone and guess I never even thought about sending from the phone to GSAK. What I think is I am not making as many finds because I stop to log while out caching. Usually not a problem but when I am hoping to find a lot I want to move on and do the posting later.

So Sunday when we did the Greenway trail Series, it was essentially my first time to really use my Oregon the whole time. I clicked on found after each find and I got around 60 on Sunday. So my hope was to download the "finds" to GSAK and then hoping to add my log (or note or whatever you call it) there and then hopefully upload them to geocaching.com

My hope is to do this with these finds from Sunday so that I know what I am doing... this should get me just over 500 finds. woohoo... anyway we are planning to go to Waco this weekend and if we do what I hope and get ~100 on Saturday.

So short story long --- My first problem is getting the caches (finds) off the Oregon to the computer.

I think I am supposed to plug the Oregon and then go find the files on the drive and double click the gpx file to upload into GSAK. The only thing is I don't see a gpx file that looks right. The only thing I have found is a txt file that appears to show the finds but I am not sure how to ge that to GSAK.

#7 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Chief, I have a 450 also and what I do is simple. I run a PQ of my finds and drop them in GSAK. I write logs based on my hand notes and photos, so no "field notes" for me.

I have done a PQ in geocaching.com so I am assuming you mean this? I didn't do logs the other day but know what I want to write into the logs so I think I know what you are saying on that aspect. Do you not just down your "finds" from your Oregon and then write the notes?

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Kim -- you want the file that says cachevisits.txt That is the "found log" that you made by marking found. That's what gets imported. I sent you a rambling PM reply as to the rest.
Posted Image

#9 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

THANKS!! I had clicked on the link to the wordpress.com information and that helped and came back and found the very helpful information from Kevin. I think clicking on Publish Logs had tricked me (kind of counter intuitive in my feeble tired mind) but now I see how I get the txt file to open.

My next thing is to figure out how to add the caches that I did not click "Found" on while on the trail so I can do the log in GSAK and upload all these at once.

I think this is going to be great fun for me! and now I can see how Bert got so many pictures in his logs. I was thinking the other day - "Wow, he has more time than me!" LOL Sad part is, we didn't take one picture of us on the trail on Sunday.

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

I always carry a printout of my planned route with space to make little notes, like soda tube 5' in crook of tree. I type that in on the cache page in notes. I do not do field notes or own a smartphone, at least not yet. I try to take a goofy photo at each cache location too, to help me remember the place or container and to record my good time.

When I get home, I adjust my photos (using Photoshop) to a reasonable size and adjust colors, etc., renaming them in bulk. I'm very fast at this, so it takes me no more than ten minutes to do 60 photos. I then log on to gc.com and using my list, begin logging my finds with photos, reliving each cache and trying to write something original on each...but I'm NOT A NERD!

I have done a PQ in geocaching.com so I am assuming you mean this? I didn't do logs the other day but know what I want to write into the logs so I think I know what you are saying on that aspect. Do you not just down your "finds" from your Oregon and then write the notes?

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Bert, thanks for the description on how you cache. It helps me to see & hear how others do it and maybe pick up a few tips and tricks along the way. Cachestacker told me in a PM how you can do the trackable, add photos all at one time. Your photos do look like you are having fun,,,, and well goofy - you said that :D

I like seeing original posts but was struggling at how to do it when I got a bunch in one day but now I see the light. I was kind of frustrated at not being able to figure this out since I have had friends call me a borderline geek so I guess I am not so much a geek anymore???

Thanks everyone for the help!

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

On the longer series where most are alike, I usually copy and paste a short line on all of them, then add a second observation or instruction for future cachers, something like: Saw a snake in the ditch, or Poison Ivy alert here. If is a particlary peculiar cache, I might tell a lot more.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users