15 replies to this topic

#1 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

I had the battery drain after updating my 4S iPhone to IOS6. One of the options is turning on location services. I have turned it off and the battery drain problem has disappeared. I would suggest you avoid this update until the battery drain problem is fixed. Some claim that a backup restore will fix the problem but I have not tried that yet..
Posted Image

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

I updated mine a week ago and haven't noticed any battery drain issues.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

I turned off location services and the battery life is better.
Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have location services turned on for a few apps, like facebook, Untappd, Geocaching, Around Me, etc. Otherwise, the phone doesn't know where I am. I try to shut down apps I'm not using at the time. My phone was 100% charged this morning and still had 69% left at the end of the day, which is pretty good for me.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

I've been holding out on the update to see what the problems might be. So far the most problematic issue has been in the WiFi. Some phones apparently don't work well with the IOS6, including some a new iPhone 5. I don't think it is very wide spread though.

#6 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

I haven't noticed any issues either. Like HC I have most location services turned off but some apps are on.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

The biggest issues with IOS 6.....Battery Drain, Maps, and Exchange Mail issues.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

The biggest issues with IOS 6.....Battery Drain, Maps, and Exchange Mail issues.

What are your Exchange issues? I have not noticed anything wrong there. My battery is okay, I have noticed some days it is lower than before, but other days it is just fine. Agreed that the maps suck, but the navigation it offers is better than the previous google maps.

I have started to use Waze and even put a bookmark in Geosphere to navigate me to GZ. I don't have much testing on that front yet, but it is an interesting option.
Posted Image

#9 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have been noticing my iPhone4's battery drain pretty quickly. I really did not notice until Sock Puppet brought it up. If I do not use my phone at all, the phone will stay charged, but if I use if for geocaching, or playing word games and the likes, it drains quickly. I constantly have my iPhone on charge because it does drain pretty quickly. Hopefully they will come up with an update to fix the battery issue.

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

I restored from backup after my upgrade and felt my unit was draining faster than normal. But my only real complaint was my keyboard shortcuts stopped working.

After some brief experimentation, I shutdown my iCloud services and WOW did my battery life go up!

Not sure what is happening, but when I did that my keyboard shortcuts also worked again. Very strange. I haven't had the time to investigate as iCloud isn't very important to me anyway right now. But, I thought I'd share that in case it might help you too.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#11 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I have started to use Waze and even put a bookmark in Geosphere to navigate me to GZ. I don't have much testing on that front yet, but it is an interesting option.

How did you get Geosphere and Waze to work together? Clicking on "Show in Navigation App" brings up an error message complaining there is no app installed that can handle the URL.

#12 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Never mind. The Geosphere support forum has the url.

http://gbhometech.co...=8&t=666&p=1983

#13 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

iCloud sounds like a fart.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#14 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

All in all, I can't complain about battery life in the iPhone 5. I think it is actually better than the 4. Just an observation, not scientifically tested or anything. I do have auto brightness turned on and I think that helps. I don't use the icloud either.
Posted Image

#15 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

There is a new small update that is supposed to fix some Exchange issues
  • georeyna likes this
Posted Image

#16 stirfrie2005

stirfrie2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

I'm having the wifi issues. Completely greyed out and, not matter what I do, I can't get it to work. Off to the Sprint store tomorrow... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users