28 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Some time ago I happened to be near a cache that popped while driving through an unfamiliar area with geofriends.

There were a few of us, and it was late, but after a short discussion we decided to go after the cache for a FTF. We were too late.

Sometime later I saw the FTFer at an event and this cache came up. They told me they were berated and verbally abused by the CO via email for signing the log of the "tribute cache" before the honoree found and logged it. Who knew?

So, what's the deal here? Did we mess up?

Please do weigh in?
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Normally tribute caches the Co gives the honoree the cords and let's them find and sign it before it publishes. Then they log it when it publishes. That's the way I've always seen it done

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

What thacatfish said. You can publish a cache and hope the honoree is FTF, but there are no guarantees. Even if you put words to that affect in the cache description, a lot of people don't read the cache description.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I will admit that I have gotten miffed about a very nice cacher who found a cache dedicated to another geocacher buddy. I will tell you that it was silly and I felt bad after having the *tantrum*. My geocacher friend did not mind it being found before him/her and the person who placed it for him/her did not mind either. They were both in it for the *fun* of how the cache was created.

I apologized to the geocacher, whom I call a friend now, I hope he/she thinks the same thing of me, but he/she keeps unfriending me in geocaching.com. LOL!! Friend/unfriend/friend/unfriend...just do not know what I am doing with this person whom I joke around with and we get along well...I thought.

So advice, if it is that special, give the coords to the friend you are making a tribute to before it goes public. fI one publishes the cache without any heads up, it is fair game. Hey we are all in it to have fun anyway!! Think about the fun of the hobby!!

#5 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

It is happened to me. The honoree was out of town and would not be back for a few days. i waited until late in the day. The CO was not mad, nor was the honoree, but there were those who were. There were also those who were nice about it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

It's kind of like placing a travel bug -- once it's in the wild you can't complain about how others play the game. Well, you can. And people do. But if it's published it's fair game for all.

If they want the game played 'their' way then they need to give the honoree the coords first. People generally understand that FTF goes to the honoree on tribute caches. Then click the submit button. Caches publish pretty fast these days now.

Edited by cachestacker, 27 September 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Sounds kind of childish, if you ask me. Once the cache goes public, it's anyone's to find.

Sometime later I saw the FTFer at an event and this cache came up. They told me they were berated and verbally abused by the CO via email for signing the log of the "tribute cache" before the honoree found and logged it. Who knew?

Please do weigh in?

Posted Image

#8 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Sounds kind of childish, if you ask me. Once the cache goes public, it's anyone's to find.

Please do weigh in?

I would place a Tribute cache for the CO under a pseudo account. Then intentionally be FTF on it. Wait a couple of months.. Do it again. Repeat as neccessary. Sometimes childish behavior begets childish behavior.. Which can be fun. :)

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#9 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

I will admit that I have gotten miffed about a very nice cacher who found a cache dedicated to another geocacher buddy. I will tell you that it was silly and I felt bad after having the *tantrum*. My geocacher friend did not mind it being found before him/her and the person who placed it for him/her did not mind either. They were both in it for the *fun* of how the cache was created.

I apologized to the geocacher, whom I call a friend now, I hope he/she thinks the same thing of me, but he/she keeps unfriending me in geocaching.com. LOL!! Friend/unfriend/friend/unfriend...just do not know what I am doing with this person whom I joke around with and we get along well...I thought.

So advice, if it is that special, give the coords to the friend you are making a tribute to before it goes public. fI one publishes the cache without any heads up, it is fair game. Hey we are all in it to have fun anyway!! Think about the fun of the hobby!!

Yes I would call you a friend. I don't unfriend anyone that I know of. Maybe it is just you!!!!!! Hey I really thought he/she had found it already and just needed a cache for the day. :yoman:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Normally tribute caches the Co gives the honoree the cords and let's them find and sign it before it publishes. Then they log it when it publishes. That's the way I've always seen it done

Man, talk about pressure. It would be my luck to not find it (especially if some Baytown/Highland Park area Cachers made the hide!) and having to DNF it as first log entry. :)

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have a number of them and I always tipped the tribute person in advance and had them sign the log in advance. Logically, it seemed the only way it would work.

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yes I would call you a friend. I don't unfriend anyone that I know of. Maybe it is just you!!!!!! Hey I really thought he/she had found it already and just needed a cache for the day. :yoman:

Hey, I was trying to be anonymous!! He/she could have been anybody!! LOL!! Oh well, yes Log Dawgs and I had a street fight over a cache...then I realized how stupid, and as Muddy Buddies so eloquently stated *childish* it was. Forgive me Log Dawgs for I can be a dumb ass over a fun game!! As far as friend/unfriend... you friended me twice and unfriended me twice. I thought...what did I do now. I think you just have to make room for other friends...right? LOL!! All is cool between us!! :angel: I hope.... ???

#13 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hey, I was trying to be anonymous!! He/she could have been anybody!! LOL!! Oh well, yes Log Dawgs and I had a street fight over a cache...then I realized how stupid, and as Muddy Buddies so eloquently stated *childish* it was. Forgive me Log Dawgs for I can be a dumb ass over a fun game!! As far as friend/unfriend... you friended me twice and unfriended me twice. I thought...what did I do now. I think you just have to make room for other friends...right? LOL!! All is cool between us!! :angel: I hope.... ???

I apologize as I have never unfriended anyone on GC.com that I know of. I did accept your friend invitation on Facebook. No big deal as I have already grabbed your upcoming tribute cache and claimed FTF months in advance!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Not after the earful he gave me at the 3G event today. [:stirpot]
Posted Image

#15 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Not after the earful he gave me at the 3G event today. [:stirpot]
Posted Image

#16 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

I think KeyResults just posted this to get back at me for FTF'ing the tribute hide that was put out for him and 2katz the other night. Heck, I waited like 3 hours! I just couldn't help myself. I had already chewed my fingers down to nubs. Lol.

I agree with the gist of the comments that have been posted. If you want the honoree to be FTF for sure, give them the coords a few hours ahead of time (I did this for CornDoll on "Comma Enters the CornDoll Club"....and I'll do it again) and let them enjoy it before it goes live (or let them have a couple of hours more to search before they log their DNF :2funny: ). If you don't care, let 'er rip and accept whatever happens. I grabbed an FTF just the other night on a generic hide that a newbie had put out and had let his buddy FTF it 2-1/2 hrs ahead of it publishing. Not only did the newbie friend write in his so-called "FTF" but he also wrote "I AM AWESOME" in all caps. He just wasn't awesome enough to leave the time stamp off his log, or he might have gotten away undetected. Lol. At the end of the day, this is just a game...and a darn fun one. We can't lose sight of that, and most don't. However, I have run into a couple of scenarios that really made me wanna say, "Oh no you didn't...." (another one from two nights ago comes to mind).
  • CornDoll likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#17 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

I think KeyResults just posted this to get back at me for FTF'ing the tribute hide that was put out for him and 2katz the other night. Heck, I waited like 3 hours! I just couldn't help myself. I had already chewed my fingers down to nubs. Lol.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
  • CornDoll likes this

#18 CornDoll

CornDoll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Whaaa??! I've been outed! TexasWriter! You weren't supposed to say I found my tribute before it published! Boo!! ;)

LOL. Once its published its fair game, but if the CO wants their honoree to be the first to sign it, being its THEIR cache, thats their prerogative. Yes, the gift of the tribute is that its actually out there long-term for everyone to see and honor that person's accomplishment. However, being most of us see each other at events we should be mindful of snarky logs (a couple come to mind from a few nights ago on a sweet cache a fellow geo-cacher set out for his girl). Its all just for fun, remember? I love me some FTF rights as much as anyone, but no need to draw blood over it - the thorns in GZ do that aplenty.
  • KeyResults likes this

#19 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Ok, lets head to thunderdome...chains, whips, swords and let us just settle this. Two men enter, one man leaves...so Kenny aka Key Results and Log Dawgs, head into the ring!! LOL!! :2funny: I fight the winner!!

#20 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for posting this question. I had wondered how some people do this and the feelings behind those who may get it before the honoree. I was thinking it would be as described by several.

I want tickets to the thunderdome event. Please do post details so we can come join in the fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users