17 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

To all CO's who've received a "TFTC" or cut & paste log from me in the past: please, please forgive me and accept my sincere apology. I promise to never again do that.

As a new cache owner, hiding my first caches, I now realize the error of my ways.

You've taken the time to hide your cache(s) for me and my fellow hunters to find. You've voluntarily kept it up to date and available for us to enjoy at your own expense, asking nothing in return. You deserve more than an acronym for your trouble.

Enthusiastically, mimicking others before me in logs I signed, the college of hard-knocks was a poor teacher and adviser in some things.

Hopefully others behind me will avoid this error. I pledge to be a better example to them.

K
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

TFTP!!!
  • Baytown Bert likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

It had to be done :stirpot:

I think most people are guilty of it to one degree or another, especially in the beginning. I don't really care too much if someone does a SL or TNLN on one of my easy caches, but I'd be a bit irritated if they did so on one of my more intricate caches (like the one coming out tomorrow night at 9pm - :notme: )

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I've had people do caches of mine that normally get rave reviews (like my night cache) and just post "Found it", "TFTC" or the like. It usually makes me wonder if they actually found it at all. Eventually, I figured out that often it is a group or family caching together and while the parents may write a more detailed log, the kids just put TFTC because.... well, they're kids. Sometimes the logs come in days apart and it's hard to figure out that it was all one big group effort.

Yeah, live and learn.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I love it when someone does the Pres Series and all 45 logs are TFTC. Really no comment on the huge cache or the pickles or the toilet or the fast you just hiked or biked 10 miles. Oh well it's life and I learned a long time ago to really appreciate the good logs and just delete the TFTC when they hit my email. PS I don't delete the logs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I watch The Highest Cache in Colorado - hoping to do it one day. The logs on that cache will give you an interesting perspective on this. The logs are binary. They are either great or TFTC. It's cool seeing people from 0 elevation talk about one of the most difficult hikes they've ever done, the scenic views, how great it was in the end, special memories they had while doing it or from childhood, etc. And when I see a "Found today - TFTC" I get peturbed. I'm not the CO. I haven't even done it. But, really? That's all you can say about this? It's not a micro. It's not a forgettable one. It's not on a mega trail or even a small series. There has to be something more you can say. For as much effort you put in to getting it you can't put in just a little more into your log?!?!

Then I realized that maybe they went up, down, traveled back home and rushed straight to the computer to log it. And by the time that happened, that's all the energy they had left in them. lol. NOT. But maybe.
Posted Image

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Oh, and KR -- O0

I think many people that log like that change their ways once they have some caches and see logs they don't like -- because then they understand. There is still a time and place for TFTC and cut-n-paste, but in general, even short logs that say something are much appreciated by COs.
Posted Image

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Over the years, I've gotten immune to the TFTC response.
I have given out a few, but mostly when I've done a gazillion LPC's that day, and can't think of anything creative to say.
I wish I had the creativity of Mrs. Captain Picard. She writes a unique log for each of her finds....many times it has nothing to do with the cache or caching or anything remotely close. Her logs are definitely unique.
Posted Image

#9 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

I am guilty of TFTC logs when I started out, and I still do copy and paste some today. However, my copy and paste are usually on series. I try to do a really nice log on one cache, and then do a shorter copy and paste on the rest of them. Overall I am averaging about 30 words in my logs (according to Findstatgen).

Eagle
Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

I usually post boring and monotonous logs without photographs, but that's just me. Curse you Aaron Barbee!!! here's an example:

http://www.geocachin...63-d42084f94df2

Edited by Baytown Bert, 28 September 2012 - 04:31 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

It's especially underwhelming when someone FTF's your hide and posts one of the acronyms....and nothing else. I wanna hear how they dodged the law, leaped tall buildings, took out other cachers, left in the middle of the Super Bowl to get the FTF because it was more important, or something like that. There's a log (pasted below) on "Blue Suede Shoes" (http://coord.info/GC3RNKY) that I think all new cachers should read and use as an example. :)

"I was in Louisiana when this one published, and I was bummed because I would have loved to have FTF'ed this one....at night. Anytime I see a difficulty level of 3 or more, I am immediately intrigued (guess I don't get out enough and need the spice in my life). So, after being lovingly harassed (is there such a thing?) by the CO's mother last night at the Meet in the Middle geo-event, I was glad to go get this one today (which was already the plan before the harassment). So, I jumped on my horse today and galloped over to Kingwood. We crashed through the brush near GZ and I jumped from the horse about 30 feet from GZ, landed in a somersault Avatar-style, and sprang to my feet for a 2-second glance at the hide (which was very easily spotted). I then sprang from a flat-footed position 15 feet through the air to land next to the hide, whipped out my pen, SL, and did a double backflip back to my original position. I quickly glanced around to make sure there weren't any muggles that needed to be taken out, determined that I wouldn't have to have blood on my hands today, then jumped on my horse and rode out of there. It occurred to me as I galloped away that the shoes were more of a microfiber than a suede.... TFTC"
  • empressone likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

When i started, I left short brief acronym filled logs. My kids are doing the same now that they tag along. Heck it is a pain just to get them to log on and log their finds. At least they are learning to cut and paste! My son is particularly good now at saying a lot without saying anything.
  • TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

I tryyy to write something original on every log, but on a mega-series, it gets difficult. I try to take a few field notes such that on the rare occasions I use cut-n-paste, I can at least modify the post on some of the more interesting finds.

I used to absolutely abhor cut-n-paste logs, but with all the caching series popping up, I figure if the CO used cut-n-paste cache descriptions (with zero info in them pertaining to the individual hides), they shouldn't mind me doing the same in my logs.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

I used to absolutely abhor cut-n-paste logs, but with all the caching series popping up, I figure if the CO used cut-n-paste cache descriptions (with zero info in them pertaining to the individual hides), they shouldn't mind me doing the same in my logs.

Good point! But, HC, shouldn't this be in the "Cruddy, unsatisfying Cache Descriptions" thread :)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

As the owner of several series of caches, I can tell you I don't mind cut and paste logs when main the cut-and-paste log actually says something. I don't mind that they are the same for every cache, but do appeciate on the notable ones, like HC says, when a little something is mentioned when they acknowledge the location, uniqueness, or coolness of the hide. Even if that situation is temporary and only applied to them (i.e., huge gator at GZ).

There are a few notable ones on the CLAPS series, but the hides, for the most part, are the same. But the areas for each series are different environments. The intent/purpose of the CLAPS series was to get people out doing something different and having fun in a different kind of way. So I like it when cachers' logs tell me a little about the experience they had -- the fun, who tumped, who peed their pants when an alligator jumped in or a gar flipped, who couldn't get the soda tubes open, the wildlife you saw, and whether you had fun, in general. Then cut and paste away. Something wrong, broken, neat, or unique with a particular cache? Gimme a line at the end.

But I still get TFTC on them from time to time.... But it's all good. At least they're out there doing it.
Posted Image

#16 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

My log today on a rather simple cache.

Posted Image 09/29/2012 You found Posted Image A Bonding Neighborhood Pick Visit Log Well I made it out in the rain and quickly grabbed this one with a hint from the previous finder. As I was walking back to my car I was stopped by a sheriff's deputy. He asked me what I was doing and to put my hands on my car. I obliged. He then frisked me and handcuffed me. He placed me in the back of the squad car. Pretty soon three other squad cars showed up. They started to question me on the break ins that were happening around the area. They opened my trunk up and took out the machete, ski mask, rope, ammo cans, large flashlights, camo duct tape, shovel, chains, locks, and plastic bags. Well that looked suspicious when you put it all together. I began to tell them about my hobby and they all laughed and said that was the oldest trick in the book. I was like what book? They opened up the cache and saw the other signatures on the log. They said who are these your accomplices. I said well yes in geocaching I do cache with GeoJrH and Hwyhiker. They said no in breaking and entering. They ran my record and I came back clean. Then finally an officer I knew showed up and said don't you know who this is. They all said no. He said it's Log Dawgs he is the craziest of geocachers. They then let me go and they all left. I placed the cache back as I found it, and only the first and last sentences are true.
  • cachestacker and Baytown Bert like this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

I love this album and really, it's one of the few geocaching things my kids really enjoy... Here's the lyrics to the song most appropriate to this thread, but I may start a new tribute thread on the album.

TNLNSL

People talking about me
They’re bad mouthing me again
They say that I should want a little more outta Life
Or I won’t have much to show for it

I don’t need their expectations
I don’t need to stand my ground
I don’t need to keep up with the Joneses.
They’ll only slow me down

They say you can’t take it with you
Before you know it I’ll be gone
And all that they’ll say about me was that he
Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log

Everybody is worried
People all try so hard
To leave a little something in this world behind
Well, I only wanna leave my mark

I don’t got time to worry
'Cause I won’t be stickin ‘round too long
And when I’m gone I know they’ll say that he

Now love is very demanding
But it’s a game I like to play
But you just must understand me
When I turn and I walk away

When you wake in the morning
And you find yourself alone
Just a note on your pillow. You’ll know I

- The TravelBugs

http://www.thegeocac....com/TNLNSL.php

• KeyResults, TAZ427 and TexasWriter like this
Posted Image

#18 pagirlintx

pagirlintx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationKingwood, TX

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

It's especially underwhelming when someone FTF's your hide and posts one of the acronyms....and nothing else. I wanna hear how they dodged the law, leaped tall buildings, took out other cachers, left in the middle of the Super Bowl to get the FTF because it was more important, or something like that. There's a log (pasted below) on "Blue Suede Shoes" (http://coord.info/GC3RNKY) that I think all new cachers should read and use as an example. :)

"I was in Louisiana when this one published, and I was bummed because I would have loved to have FTF'ed this one....at night. Anytime I see a difficulty level of 3 or more, I am immediately intrigued (guess I don't get out enough and need the spice in my life). So, after being lovingly harassed (is there such a thing?) by the CO's mother last night at the Meet in the Middle geo-event, I was glad to go get this one today (which was already the plan before the harassment). So, I jumped on my horse today and galloped over to Kingwood. We crashed through the brush near GZ and I jumped from the horse about 30 feet from GZ, landed in a somersault Avatar-style, and sprang to my feet for a 2-second glance at the hide (which was very easily spotted). I then sprang from a flat-footed position 15 feet through the air to land next to the hide, whipped out my pen, SL, and did a double backflip back to my original position. I quickly glanced around to make sure there weren't any muggles that needed to be taken out, determined that I wouldn't have to have blood on my hands today, then jumped on my horse and rode out of there. It occurred to me as I galloped away that the shoes were more of a microfiber than a suede.... TFTC"

You are lovingly harassed...but you weren't at THAT moment ya big galute! Have I mentioned how patient that fiance of yours is??? (Smiles and hugs ya both)
Blessings Be, S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users