8 replies to this topic

#1 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

So apparently the Cub Scouts in my Den have had geocaching taught to them in geography class at school and now a number of them are interested. I now have parents asking me for GPS advice. Other than my 62s, I have no experience with some of the more affordable units. Does anybody have any recommendations or pointers to online reviews for the affordable GPS units? these are kids afterall and so I am sure the parents don't want to drop $400 on a GPS.
Posted Image

#2 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Garmin etrex is really good. I used one for my first 1500 caches. About 100 new and u can find em in pawn shops and Maybe eBay for about 40 bucks

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

So apparently the Cub Scouts in my Den have had geocaching taught to them in geography class at school and now a number of them are interested. I now have parents asking me for GPS advice. Other than my 62s, I have no experience with some of the more affordable units. Does anybody have any recommendations or pointers to online reviews for the affordable GPS units? these are kids afterall and so I am sure the parents don't want to drop $400 on a GPS.

Well I would tell you one of the best places to by a good cheap GPS is a Pawn Shop, but I know where you live. Those people would never walk into a Pawn Shop. Knowing the business like very few, 3rd Generation Pawn Broker, I can tell you check it out. They will let you and never pay what the sticker says. Take 25% off and say out the door, which means tax included.

If not then check REI online. they run sales. I paid $250 with a $50 rebate on an Oregon 450 $399 GPS. They have had a 60csx for $129 before.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Well I would tell you one of the best places to by a good cheap GPS is a Pawn Shop, but I know where you live. Those people would never walk into a Pawn Shop.

Heh, heh. Too true.

Edited by heftydude, 27 September 2012 - 06:30 AM.

• log dawgs likes this
Posted Image

#5 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

You might also want to suggest they use their cellphones until they're sure they're going to keep at it. I know a few cubscout parents that they only time the geocache is during our campouts, then they pull out their phones w/ the apps armchair it in while I'm leading the boys.

Edited by TAZ427, 27 September 2012 - 07:24 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Even if they do the gc.com app, it's only a $10 investment. And that may be all they need (or want). That's what most of the parents have in my Den is the app on their phones. Only two of the parents cache, and then it's really only at campouts or if they happen to look while doing 'outside stuff' and happen to think about it. When we go to campouts, the others just share phones with it and I give the kids my 2 GPS units.

If you have scouts and parents who realy are interested, see if you can get an 'older' unit to loan them for a while and see if it sticks. I let a few borrow my e-Trex Vista HCx for that purpose so they can test it locally and see if they want to take it to the next level.
Posted Image

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

I was happy with my Oregon, before I upgraded to the 62STC.
Posted Image

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't think to tell them about apps since the question was specifically about a GPS unit. But you are right, they may not have known about that. I was hoping to take them out to Memorial Park today, but then it decided to rain all day. :disappoint:
Posted Image

#9 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

So apparently the Cub Scouts in my Den have had geocaching taught to them in geography class at school and now a number of them are interested.

I have a number of conversation with the council and camp staff that Cub Scouts are to young for GPS or geocaching...

In any case, you should know SHAC has a box of 24 of the original etrax. You should ask your commissioner or district executive if there are any GPS resources available to you. You will NOT get the box of 24, but I figure if we don't start asking it will never happen.

That said, The biggest challenge in doing a scout event is giving instruction on the variety of different units and apps you get. Lets face it, each one is really complex and takes some time to be proficient at it. Try to get one adult versed in each of the styles you get. I have learned you can put some of the newer model garmins in the old style menu systems, so that helps. Oh, and make sure all are on the same coordinate system. I now start with doing a factory reset on all the units in the box of 24 when I use it.

Good luck!
-TG
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users