3 replies to this topic

#1 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Last night (9-20-2012) I was contacted by a friend from High School (yes that was in the last century) who is teaching a 5th grade minicourse:

Here is what she said: "I am using Geocaching as my minicourse with my 5th graders. HELP!!! I did this to learn about it, but they are catching up with me! I could take any tips you are will to offer. We have GARMIN gps's.... I have 115 identified GT students who will pass through my minicourse. I have them for about 13 classes before we switch. I have around 15 Garmin GPS handhelds. We have a really large school yard that I want to set up with points/caches. It is open ground so there would not be any hidey holes. I want to teach them to find and then to create. My culminating activity would be to meet somewhere near by on the weekend to experience it in the wild."

I would like to provide assistance myself, but I know that my upcoming work schedule just won't allow it. I am looking for someone in the area to jump in and spread geocaching to 155 families. Contact me ASAP at gfoster@texasgeocaching.com so that I can connect you with the teacher.

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Since it is out on the playground, I would suggest waymarking several prominent landmarks, such as the slide, swingset, basketball goal.
Have them be far enough apart to not mistake one for another.
It could be like a virtual cache, where the student has to make note of what is at the location.
Another possibility is the use of those pesky magnetic nano caches. or magnetic keyholder, bison tubes.
Posted Image

#3 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Perhaps an multi-stage would be appropriate....put stages around the property but end up with a nice container somewhere that does provide some cover.

#4 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Still looking for a volunteer to "teach" in the Pearland area. Please contact me asap. foster@texasgeocaching.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users